Question for Runners

Ejkjar

I prefer to run outside and not on a treadmill. Does anyone have any information about the jogging tracks on Princess? We're sailing on the Ruby, which does have a track.

Does it have an opening and closing time? I usually run early, 5 or 6am, will I be able to access it that early?

How long is the track? It's hard to tell on the deck plans.

I prefer to run outside and not on a treadmill. Does anyone have any information about the jogging tracks on Princess? We're sailing on the Ruby, which does have a track.

Does it have an opening and closing time? I usually run early, 5 or 6am, will I be able to access it that early?

I don't believe there is an opening or closing time. It's above Skywalkers and pretty small. I think I remember it's about 16 or 17 laps for a mile. Great views though.

The track above Skywalkers is very small.

Many run on the Promenade deck.

Approx. 2.7 to 3 times around for a mile.

Don't think they want running until 8?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Don't think they want running until 8?

I can't say that I have ever looked for an official "opening time" for running on the Promenade, but I do know that they often wash down the deck early in the morning and often it is too wet to safely run until it dries off. It is not unusual to see the Promenade closed to traffic early in the morning. I would think that they are even more cautious when it comes to running.

I can't say that I have ever looked for an official "opening time" for running on the Promenade, but I do know that they often wash down the deck early in the morning and often it is too wet to safely run until it dries off. It is not unusual to see the Promenade closed to traffic early in the morning. I would think that they are even more cautious when it comes to running.

Not saying its an official time but have heard after complaints that they discourage running before 8. (cabins below)

If they wash one side in the AM runners will go as far as they can and turn around.

Ruby has two places to run. The top deck is open all the time. They might not like you running in the early morning because they washing the deck and it could be slippery. The promenade deck is closed in early morning for washing and cleaning.

Ruby has two places to run. The top deck is open all the time. They might not like you running in the early morning because they washing the deck and it could be slippery. The promenade deck is closed in early morning for washing and cleaning.

I have not encountered it closed on both sides while washing/cleaning.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I run quite a bit on cruises and was on the crown last year (sister to Ruby). Here's my run down of locations to run...

1) above skywalkers - yes its a small, tight track, but its nice enough especially in the early morning. You may run into walkers up there, but maybe not early morning, but its really nice to watch as the ship pulls into a port up there, even though its so small. One of my best memories of that trip was arriving in Mazatlan while jogging the track.

2) Promenade deck - so yes you can use this, it gets tight at the back, and you have to go up stairs at the front - but if you can live with it and its not too crowded its quite nice. If its crowded you won't want to jog here. Sometimes in open waters they close the front meaning you have to either do big "U's" or cut through the forward elevator lobby which may or may not annoy you.

3) top decks. - This route has been my main route on most other princess ships as they are all similar other than the placement of skywalkers. Basically running on the deck with the spa. If the ship is in port you can run all the way to the bridge wings in the front - if its at sea, sometimes this area is closed and you are forced to run up the stairs to the sanctuary area. If you dont mind stairs its pretty nice. On the back side you will have to go up stairs. For variability, i run to the sanctuary area, back down to the spa deck, then up at the back, and all the way down to the terrace pool and then back the other way. It would probably be a good cross training route as you can practice side stepping through the wind breaks and around lounge chairs. You also get to watch bits of whatever is on MUTS.

4) Run in Port - this one doesnt work all the time and is port dependent, but you might be able to find some safe routes in port. My wife and I trained for a marathon on a pacific coastal cruise, running in all the ports, and then come back for a big lunch and time in the pool.

Honestly, every voyage I do a combination of all the above - sometimes in the same run! Have fun, its a lot of fun to run on the decks!

I was a 10K runner when younger 80+ now.

I found I preferred the promenade deck the running deck up above drove me crazy like running around a tight circle.

You are safe to run on the promenade deck anytime because the Fiesta deck underneath has no cabins.....Caution if being washed down,or just washed slippy. I still do take my after breakfast walks and enjoy so much on the ships that still have promenade decks in the wonderful fresh air.....:)

Not saying its an official time but have heard after complaints that they discourage running before 8. (cabins below)

Yes, that is what I was confirming. I have never seen an official sign, but I do know that there are times early in the morning when the Promenade is either closed, partially closed, or unsafe for running.

On Royal Princess on a Baltic cruise summer 2015 I ran a 5K around the jogging track while docked in port at Helsinki. Thought you might enjoy the GPS track of it:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/embed/816885170

Somehow the run max - min altitude was 174 ft... the tide?? :D. I also ran 10K on the track at sea but didn't bother with the GPS.

Anyway, that was a lot of times around the track, about 65 laps total at 7 per mile! The best part was the expressions on the faces of those sitting below at the stern in the smoking area: ranged from guilty to jealous to disbelief to disdain.

I've sailed Ruby too, and the jogging "track" is much shorter than Royal's. I agree its better to take the promenade around as long as you're not going so fast as to be a hazard to the walkers. Same problem on the track but at least on Royal there were marked lanes.

Next cruise is on Island Princess; no track and the Promenade has been cut off at the stern to make room for those extra cabins, so I will be on the treadmill for a half-hour or so on average per day or, even better, running through some of the ports.

Great information, thanks.

I just completed my first marathon, Chicago, last month. It was a bucket list thing and I went from quite chubby just about died running 0.55 of a mile on July 11, to 4:33 marathon on Oct 9. I have since signed up for Ft. Lauderdale marathon in February and Chicago again next fall. I will be in the last few weeks of training for Ft. Lauderdale on our ABC island cruise Jan 14. I would love running suggestions for any of the ABC islands. Also, if I am ready to go ashore right when we arrive how easy will it be for me to just walk off and start running. I never tried to be one of the first ones off the ship and have no idea what that might look like.

Thanks

FF 115

I just completed my first marathon, Chicago, last month. It was a bucket list thing and I went from quite chubby just about died running 0.55 of a mile on July 11, to 4:33 marathon on Oct 9. I have since signed up for Ft. Lauderdale marathon in February and Chicago again next fall. I will be in the last few weeks of training for Ft. Lauderdale on our ABC island cruise Jan 14. I would love running suggestions for any of the ABC islands. Also, if I am ready to go ashore right when we arrive how easy will it be for me to just walk off and start running. I never tried to be one of the first ones off the ship and have no idea what that might look like.

Thanks

FF 115

Consider the heat will it be very hot in the ABC Islands?If it is do remember to take your water with you.If you can get an early start you will be able to get back before the hottest part of day.:)

Thanks

FF 115

Any number of apps are available to help you plan your route, or Google Maps/Earth. You will get strange looks from the locals probably. Not sure how many cultures in the caribbean indulge in jogging for leisure and exercise.

If you are an early morning runner please chose a place to run that has no cabins below you. I have been awakened many times by inconsiderate runners who don't want to use treadmills.

This is an easy fix, all you have to do is get up earlier:eek:......LoL

If you run early, there is no real problem. After the sun worshipers get on deck, the loungers tend to migrate into the running path...there is simply not enough room around the pool area for everyone. So...run EARLY, or very late....or on a treadmill or ashore.

This is an easy fix, all you have to do is get up earlier:eek:......LoL

Who has a choice with the thundering herd of elephants trampling by overhead? But it's really annoying when the thundering herd destroys the mood during our afternoon "naps". :(