Rolled the dice

californiatripman

I typed a response on my cell phone this morning but I guess it didn't go through. Hopefully it will be a good appointment. Did she have the surgery laparoscopically? I have heard that is easier to heal from but it is still a very major surgery and 10 days out is still very early. I will hit the 6 week mark tomorrow and the last 3 days I have finally turned the corner and say I feel better. I am still tender and get tired but not as easily as a week ago. I had 27 staples and sutures inside, I can also tell the area where they did the resection because I still have some pain there. Slow and steady and do as much walking as possible. Also, lots of fluid and don't jump on the band wagon with fiber just yet. I have been reading a lot of colon resection boards and see what other people have to say about it. Most recover withing a 6 week time and go back to work but it takes a good 6 month to a year to completely recover. My doctor said it could take 3 to 6 months for most of the swelling in my intestines to go down. Again, praying for a good doctor visit and keep us up to date. 2 weeks is still plenty of time for her to be ready to cruise and a good week on the boat resting will be good too. I leave on the 26 for a 10 to 11 hour drive to New Orleans and will be on the Dream the 27th. I am just now starting to get excited.

Leaving for b2b2b on Splendor 11/27. Wife had perforated colon surgery today. I know you can get insurance to cover this situation but this 27th cruise and have always rolled the dice that all would be okay. If we lose everything not the end of the world life goes on. We do have emergency evacuation insurance as I worry about a major expense. All is not lost yet she seems to be making a remarkable recovery.

Doctor is surprised at how fast she is bouncing back at 67. Even though right now she has drainage tubes the doctor thinks there is a good chance she can do the cruise. Here's hoping

Just sharing that anything can happen at anytime and only you can decide if you can afford the loss if things don't work out

Thanks for sharing your wife's private medical history with all the strangers on the cruise critic message board.

I was on the Vista TA 8 months after my Whipple surgery. I booked the cruise 1/15 found out I had cancer 11/15 had the surgery 3/16 (after 2 months of chemo). All along I keep reminding my doctors about the cruise. They approved it. I was away to 18 days. The food on the ship made me sick but I had a great time. Took me two weeks to recover when I got home and went to sleep pretty early on the ship every night. Probably should have used my insurance but damn I wanted to float into NYC. Tell her to take it very easy. Lots of rest early bedtime and very simple diet. PM me if you want more info

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

Actually not as good as I hoped. Still having a lot of stomach pain and have doctor appointment Monday to see if we can find out why. Starting to look a little bit iffy. Still have two weeks to feel better. Time will tell

Just an update for those that were following this thread. Supposed to been leaving Saturday for a b2b2b. Had cabin 6483 bowling alley cabin and for whoever snatched it up right away have fun and enjoy.

Our trip became a no go as she needed a second procedure.

When I called to cancel and get back what I could rep told to send the medical documents to review@carnival which I did. Received email saying to give them 7-10 days to go over documents and would get back to me whether any future cruise credit could be issued, not holding my breath on that.

Didn't let us get us down immediately booked b2b on miracle, unfortunately did not get same cabin for both cruises but are very close to each other 7258 bowling alley balcony on first leg and 6279 premium balcony on second leg.

For all those those on the Splendor 11/27, 12/4 or 12/10 enjoy and have a drink for us

Just an update for those that were following this thread. Supposed to been leaving Saturday for a b2b2b. Had cabin 6483 bowling alley cabin and for whoever snatched it up right away have fun and enjoy.

When I called to cancel and get back what I could rep told to send the medical documents to review@carnival which I did. Received email saying to give them 7-10 days to go over documents and would get back to me whether any future cruise credit could be issued, not holding my breath on that.

Didn't let us get us down immediately booked b2b on miracle, unfortunately did not get same cabin for both cruises but are very close to each other 7258 bowling alley balcony on first leg and 6279 premium balcony on second leg.

For all those those on the Splendor 11/27, 12/4 or 12/10 enjoy and have a drink for us

You will love those two cabins, but I am partial to 6279...Large balcony, and a "Square" cabin ! and you will be on 2 different sides of the ship. Miracle is also my favourite ship (6x), and we have had 6279 2x.

Enjoy your re-scheduled trips, and please wish your wife a very speedy recovery.

You will love those two cabins, but I am partial to 6279...Large balcony, and a "Square" cabin ! and you will be on 2 different sides of the ship. Miracle is also my favourite ship (6x), and we have had 6279 2x.

Enjoy your re-scheduled trips, and please wish your wife a very speedy recovery.

Thank you for your well wishes. This will be 11th and 12th time on miracle, third time in 6279 but first time in 7258

I hope things are going much better now and the Miracle cruise will be great! I am about 90% recovered at 7 1/2 weeks out and finishing up packing to leave in the morning. Tell you wife I am sending best of wishes for a speedy recovery and to you both for an enjoyable upcoming cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on future cruise credit.

Carnival replied and actually gave us about 90% of our investment in future cruise credit.

Cannot say enough about how good carnival treated us!

Carnival replied and actually gave us about 90% of our investment in future cruise credit.

This has now turned into another b2b2b which credit paid all but $500.00 which included an ocean suite. Thank you carnival

This has now turned into another b2b2b which credit paid all but $500.00 which included an ocean suite. Thank you carnival

Congratulations! I am so glad they took care of you and your wife. How is she doing at this stage? I got back Sunday from my cruise and I did pretty good. Still have some issues with swelling of my intestines but doc said that could last up to 6 months. I am 2 months out and feeling so much better then I have for the last 2 years. And was able to eat some things I have not had for almost 5 years. Such as a little corn and some strawberries! Hope you have a great cruise when it comes around.:)

That is wonderful! So glad that in the unfortunate circumstances that you weren't out all that money besides.

So happy to know that your wife is doing better but so happy you were not on the ship already and something happened. Very happy to hear that Carnival treated you well and you received something back on your original output.

Just goes to show you that if you are recovering and all seems to be going well, it can change at the last minute, so you never know.

Glad it worked out for you

Note to self: Stop wasting money on insurance.

You might say that a bit differently if you had been the patient being rescued off the Dream this last week. One coast guard helicopter and a rescue plane had to be deployed. Also earlier in the week they had to send a boat to take off another passenger who was taken to Cozumel then flown to Florida. I hope both of them are doing well and I hope they had insurance. My insurance was Luxury cruise insurance by Nationwide and only $123 for the trip. That's a lot cheaper then those thousands and thousands you would be out for the helicopter alone.

You might say that a bit differently if you had been the patient being rescued off the Dream this last week. One coast guard helicopter and a rescue plane had to be deployed. Also earlier in the week they had to send a boat to take off another passenger who was taken to Cozumel then flown to Florida. I hope both of them are doing well and I hope they had insurance. My insurance was Luxury cruise insurance by Nationwide and only $123 for the trip. That's a lot cheaper then those thousands and thousands you would be out for the helicopter alone.

Agree with you that one can never predict when some bad medical situation arises. However, not sure how long your cruise was or what coverage you had. But someone doesn't need to spend $123 for medical / evacuation coverage. Just off 4 day cruise and we (wife and I) paid $18 total for both of us for medical/evacuation coverage, up to $300,000 for medical evacuation. Also included trip interruption and other basic coverage. We bought through Insuremytrip.com, a consolidator of insurance company offers. $18 seemed like bargain to have security knowing if something bad was to happen we'd be covered.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Agree with you that one can never predict when some bad medical situation arises. However, not sure how long your cruise was or what coverage you had. But someone doesn't need to spend $123 for medical / evacuation coverage. Just off 4 day cruise and we (wife and I) paid $18 total for both of us for medical/evacuation coverage, up to $300,000 for medical evacuation. Also included trip interruption and other basic coverage. We bought through Insuremytrip.com, a consolidator of insurance company offers. $18 seemed like bargain to have security knowing if something bad was to happen we'd be covered.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

It was a 7 day cruise and covered everything. My husband and I kind of over insure due to having a disable son. Also playing into this was the fact that I booked the cruise later and did cancel for any reason. It also covered even if I had a pre-existing condition which I did, diverticulosis. I was just coming off of a flare up when we booked this and 3 weeks later it struck again and I was on the operating room table with less then 8 weeks to go before cruise. I had 15 inches of my colon, left ovary, appendix and lots of scar tissue removed. I still had doubts of being able to go up till a week before cruise. If all of that had not been going on, I would have had a cheaper policy. $18.00 is pretty impressive though!

• 2 months later...