insulin pump issues embarking?

luckyinpa

Her pills can be in whatever container she likes. She can tell security that she needs hand-searching, if she can't go thru the scanner. Hubby travels with a pacemaker that cannot go thru anything with a magnet..so a hand search is what he gets!

No problem with an insulin pump.

Just before going thru security I tell them I have a pump - sometimes they hand wand me but usually they just wave me thru.

I keep insulin in the fridge in the cabin - it is cold enough - but if your friend wants it colder she can give it to ship services to keep refrigerated.

She should take all kinds of extra supplies as well as some snack stuff. Especially for off the ship excursions. It is really easy to do these days.

Happy Crusing!!!:D

Yes, be sure you bring extra insulin. When our diabetic granddaughter was visiting, DH accidentally dropped her bottle of insulin and it broke. It took all kinds of phone calls to get it replaced - and this was on land in the USA. Be prepared!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have an insulin pump, an 9/10 times, it doesn't set off the metal detector...4/10 times it won't even set off the body scanners at the TSA checkpoints in the airports! You can make your own decisions, but I usually only notify them if something comes up on the scan. Often times if I tell them ahead of time they start to clog up the line to do special checks when I could've just walked through like anyone else. Hope this helps!

I have no issues going through security for cruises or air travel with my pump. Although Minimed, the manufacturer of my pump, warns to not let the pump go through the XRay or body scanner so I always ask for a hand search in those circumstances. Metal detectors are not an issue according to Minimed.

I find it especially helpful to be polite and follow instructions. Makes the process go smoother in my opinion.

On the ship, I use the fridge in the room to store my insulin. And, yes, I have been in the situation where I dropped my vial of insulin and it shattered. Took a few hours to find a pharmacy that could fill the prescription. I woudl never be in that situation again. So I usually carry double what I need and keep them in separate bags when on the move to reduce the risk of breakage of loss.

DH travels with an insulin pump and a whack of pills. He always tell security ahead of time...only issue is they want you to remove your belt and 9/10 times it's clipped to the belt. Also OP's comment about not wanting to travel with 100 pill bottles.. you may need to. We are crossing the border Canada to U.S and they need to be able to identify the pills in their original container that shows the prescribing doctor. I always have a pharmacy print out of his original prescriptions in my travel binder as well, just in case. Happy travels!

DH travels with an insulin pump and a whack of pills. He always tell security ahead of time...only issue is they want you to remove your belt and 9/10 times it's clipped to the belt. Also OP's comment about not wanting to travel with 100 pill bottles.. you may need to. We are crossing the border Canada to U.S and they need to be able to identify the pills in their original container that shows the prescribing doctor. I always have a pharmacy print out of his original prescriptions in my travel binder as well' date=' just in case. Happy travels![/quote']

For more discussion (lots!) of the meds and other medical issues, see also the "Disability" sub-forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

It's also a place to find information from more people who have experience, if it isn't strictly NCL-related.