North cape Shore Excursions

I have already contacted the tourist office who gave me email addresses for 4 rental car companies who I contacted. Only 2 got back to me. One said that no cars were available on Sundays. The other said they would talk to a supervisor and get back to me but I have not heard. I reserved cars in Alesund and Nordkapp already.

Great efforts and updating. Keep working and pushing forward. Remember at this time of the year in these farther northern parts of Norway, it is DARK 24 hours a day. Lots of folks are not around during some parts of this period of the year. Some service providers are not always around and/or being as response during this period of the year.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,859 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

$400? Wow! Everything in Norway is expensive, and not everything is open on Sundays, but I wouldn't pay $400!

I've been to Geiranger, but we took one of the short bus excursions to two viewpoints and then I walked around Geiranger a bit. There are some hiking options there but I'm not a hiker so I simply went up as far as the octagonal church and came back down. It's simple to do that and the view with the church is the foreground and mountains and water in background is nice. I assume you've already run into the site http://www.geirangerfjord.no that offers a number of different options in Geiranger, including bus/boat tours and some rentals. You can pre-purchase or buy when you get to Geiranger at a mini tourist info center they have. I think that site also has a section on hiking trails; if not, let me know and I'll find a link for the chart I found.

When you go to Geiranger, you'll hopefully see the fjord on the way in and/or out, assuming the timing and time of year/light is right. The town of Hellesylt is on the way. Our cruise stopped briefly in Hellesylt to pick up passengers who had taken a ship's excursion that ended there. (We were only in Geiranger 8 to 1, and then cruised back out of the fjord, stopping a few places to view waterfalls.)

I hear that this year, the excursion company I mentioned above is now offering some kind of electric or other mini-car for rent. People say it's fun, although I can't quite imagine being able to do a lot of real driving in one of those. Ports of Call section of CCritic probably has more info.

I might have given this link before, but if not: My August 2013 photos of Alesund and Geiranger are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/norwayaalesund_geiranger_hellesylt

• 11 months later...

Mslubylu....Hello again, still looking to rent car in Gravdal-Leknes. Apparently ship will be tendered and we are ferried to shore...Norwegian tells me there are plenty of private cars and taxis to take people into Leknes or wherever as well as do private tours as that’s part of how they earn income. Is that true? Can we count on that?

Chris

Hi ChrisAp,

You are right about it being a tender port. I remember there being a coach trip on offer, but I can't remember how much it was or the duration. I'm unsure about taxis, as I didn't take much notice of this as we had arranged to hire a car. I'm sure there will be taxis on the day. I cannot speak for anybody else but we found hiring a car really easy and worked out good value for money. We shared a 8 seated people carrier, between my family of 4 and two other couples that I found on our roll call. I would organise a hire car sooner rather than later, if that's what you decide. I hope that helps, there may be someone on here who has been since that can give you more info x

I'm not sure if this will help any, but this is info I compiled before my June trip. Keep in mind it is info I read, not actually experienced - except for the tendering, which we DID experience there.

I had wanted to rent a car but we were only there 8 to 1 on a Sunday, so it wouldn't work. I ended up taking a ship's excursion that went to a number of the places I was interested in. I simply walked to where the coaches were to take us away and don't remember if there were taxis or not. I think there were some, but they may have been taxis that were pre-arranged for transportation or tours rather than ones that were available. The info I compiled pre-cruise indicated taxis would be available, but I really didn't pay much attention.

We were on a Viking ship and there was another Viking ship there as well (docked). Viking people tend to do a lot of ship excursions, especially since Viking includes a free excursion in each port for everyone. Therefore, it was hard to tell if there were many opportunities to just get off the ship and line something up. Leknes is a small place, and where the cruise ships dock or anchor is even smaller.

Anyway, here's info I compiled 6 or 7 months ago:

Port website: http://lofoten.havn.no/cruisehavn-lofoten/forventede-cruise-anlop/ Says we're with Viking Sky; we anchor, they dock. Cruisetimetables (erroneously) says we're alone in port. From pier 15€ shuttle goes to Ballstad, active fishing village, picturesque, 30 mins. away. Can also walk to Leknes 3 km 30-45m, marked with sign to E10/town, not much there. Souvenirs, post cards & stamps bytender pier; internet 3.50€ 20mins. Taxis. Rental cars in area are Hertz, Europcar or Avis.

Plan: 8:30-12:30 excursion to Flakstad church, Sund for fishery museum (white lantern from Sund LH & blacksmith). Museum established 1964 by Petra & HansGjertsen as private collection. Since 1999 owned/run by blacksmith Tor-VegardMørkved. Also goes to Nusfjord. If have time, try to get to Buksnes church. If not, look for it when depart.

• 1 month later...
They will bring the car to the tender port for $50.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Angeleyes,

how did you go with renting cars on your trip? Did you write a report (that I have probably missed), we are researching now for Loften, Tromso, Honningsvag and Alesund for NCL Jade in June

thanks

We rented a car in all those ports. Loften is the most expensive because they charge $50 to bring it to the port. Honningvag is right at the port. Alesund is about 4 blocks away. Tromso depends on where the ship docks. You may have to take a shuttle to the main area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We rented a car in all those ports. Loften is the most expensive because they charge $50 to bring it to the port. Honningvag is right at the port. Alesund is about 4 blocks away. Tromso depends on where the ship docks. You may have to take a shuttle to the main area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are the prices I am seeing on the internet (250+) including that 50? Other ports appear to be 75-80 which is much more reasonable.

Did you think a car in Tromso was worthwhile? Looks like a port we could walk and bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums