Not liking Carnival's berth maximization policies

nealstuber

Not everybody can "choose" to book early, vacation time has to be approved, life circumstances and such and as a point of fact, I if I were to be displaced, it would be by someone who booked even later than I did.

This cruise caught initially caught our eye because there were over a dozen Coves available. As it turns out I could be moved from any of them because they are either connecting or could accommodate more people.

When I book a minivan for myself, I don't get moved to a sedan because a family of six came along, if I book two queens in a hotel to be in a suite, I don't expect to be moved to a king studio to accommodate a family and as a person with loyalty status with my airline of choice, I don't get moved from my seat without permission.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the cabin I selected unless there is an unforeseen circumstance.

I've been a member on here since 2008, and have not seen this as a regular topic until recently - and then only on the CCL board.

IMO Carnival is abusing what used to be a RESERVED right, and if they can abuse this right without pushback, they'll do the same with other RESERVED rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will have less of a chance being moved from a connecting cabin if you meet the occupancy requirements. Actually I feel pretty confident that they won't move you for that without contacting you first. At least that's the way it worked for my mom. The TA called me and I gave permission for them to move her from a 6a to an 8c. Now I realize you find a connecting cabin less desirable (can't say as I blame you), but it is an option.

A rental car company won't give you a sedan when you make a reservation for a minivan. They will give you something in a higher class. Just like Carnival will. It will be equal or better. At least on paper. Now what you and I consider an "upgrade" vs what Carnival does can vary dramatically. But again, pick your cabin wisely. You know what can happen and if it's a sailing where a lot of families will be cruising, your chances of getting bumped are increased.

Perhaps Carnival is choosing to exercise their right more often because more people are choosing to cruise and therefore they need the extra berths. They are a business after all and are there to make money. If cabin location is so important then you need to choose one that meets the criteria or be prepared. It's just another case of the early bird getting the worm like it or not.

This policy discriminates against folks that travel without children.

On the newer ships virtually ALL of the verandahs have a sleeper couch/futon so any and all those traveling with less than 3 risk being moved against their choices on CCL? I would not expect anyone who booked prior to my booking to be moved for me and I would not expect cruise line to move me from a cabin I specifically chose to accommodate someone that booked after me. We choose our cabin very carefully for very specific criteria.

Just another reason to permanently cruise on back to HAL and RCCL.:)

Edited by summersigh

It doesn't discriminate against people who don't have children; it favors people who - for whatever reason travel 3-4 a cabin. I have seen plenty of reports of groups of sisters, girlfriends etc who travel more than 2 to a cabin.

I have kids, travel with DH in a balcony and the kids in an inside. I book early because they are minors and must be across the hall. If I can't meet those parameters, I either have to not book, or book an adult in each cabin and then play room swap. And though my kids are teens - I don't want to have them far away.

It's a numbers game and has nothing to do with kids. The policy is logical. And if you cannot accept it or it doesn't work within your parameters then that cruise or maybe even cruising in general isn't for you.

On the newer ships virtually ALL of the verandahs have a sleeper couch/futon so any and all those traveling with less than 3 risk being moved against their choices on CCL? I would not expect anyone who booked prior to my booking to be moved for me and I would not expect cruise line to move me from a cabin I specifically chose to accommodate someone that booked after me. We choose our cabin very carefully for very specific criteria.

And X

It doesn't discriminate against people who don't have children; it favors people who - for whatever reason travel 3-4 a cabin. I have seen plenty of reports of groups of sisters, girlfriends etc who travel more than 2 to a cabin.

I have kids, travel with DH in a balcony and the kids in an inside. I book early because they are minors and must be across the hall. If I can't meet those parameters, I either have to not book, or book an adult in each cabin and then play room swap. And though my kids are teens - I don't want to have them far away.

It's a numbers game and has nothing to do with kids. The policy is logical. And if you cannot accept it or it doesn't work within your parameters then that cruise or maybe even cruising in general isn't for you.

100% agreed. Like you, I've seen plenty of adults room 3 and 4 to a cabin. My spouse and I have never booked all 4 of us in one cabin other than when we stayed in a grand scenic Oceanview and that's because it's literally twice as big. We do side by side, across the hall, connecting, etc. 4 to a room is rarely a consideration for us. It's silly to assume triple and quad cabins exist for families only.

And to the OP, claiming Carnival is abusing a policy because they exercise it occasionally makes no sense. Everyone has told you that it isn't a common occurrence. If you can't book early, sobeit. But then accept the limits that come with your circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

You will have less of a chance being moved from a connecting cabin if you meet the occupancy requirements. Actually I feel pretty confident that they won't move you for that without contacting you first. At least that's the way it worked for my mom. The TA called me and I gave permission for them to move her from a 6a to an 8c. Now I realize you find a connecting cabin less desirable (can't say as I blame you), but it is an option.

A rental car company won't give you a sedan when you make a reservation for a minivan. They will give you something in a higher class. Just like Carnival will. It will be equal or better. At least on paper. Now what you and I consider an "upgrade" vs what Carnival does can vary dramatically. But again, pick your cabin wisely. You know what can happen and if it's a sailing where a lot of families will be cruising, your chances of getting bumped are increased.

Perhaps Carnival is choosing to exercise their right more often because more people are choosing to cruise and therefore they need the extra berths. They are a business after all and are there to make money. If cabin location is so important then you need to choose one that meets the criteria or be prepared. It's just another case of the early bird getting the worm like it or not.

We have never had to avail ourselves of it but Celebrity has a unique connecting room configuration. When connecting is NOT required an outer door is kept open allowing private access to either of two cabins each with their own door.

When connecting is desired, the outer door becomes the main entrance to both cabins.

Technically any cabin with a sofa can sleep 3 as that is what the 3rd bed actually is - the top of the sofa. However, not every cabin is rated for 3. So only if you have less guests than the cabin's max capacity do you run the risk of being moved. Again, chose a cabin that matches how many are in your party and you're 99.99% good to go.

The OP is 50 days from sailing. Likely most of the ship is booked, close to or at capacity.

This is key....capacity.

No one has mentioned this but each ship has a maximum passenger load allowed. So other cabins with 3 or 4 berths booked all contribute to this load.

Several threads on CC point out that passengers wishing to add a 3rd or 4th to their cabin (if provisioned for more than 2) have been denied because the maximum passenger load had been met.

I find it likely that a holiday sailing could well be at, or so close to, maximum passenger load that the OP need not worry about being moved.

I agree with most of what you posted here along with some of what has been posted by others since my last post on this thread.

I don't begrudge Carnival for "acting like a business" and I've said from the get go that I know they have the contractual right to do this, that does not mean it's necessarily smart policy to use that right to fill a couple of extra berths.

Obviously, there are tons of folks on this board who have no problem with how Carnival is maximizing their capacity, but I think my feedback might be helpful was helpful to those who may not be aware that Carnival is invoking this contractual right more frequently (and that just my perspective from my limited experience - my TA explained to me that they've always had this right but they are using it more and more to prevent people from booking empty berths completely before final payment and then making many more changes after final payment).

I also think my feedback may be helpful to Carnival: what make look good on paper is not necessarily a good idea. While I would hope the people making these decisions would recognize that many or most who booked a 7c Cove would not consider a move to an 8a on Decks 6-8 an upgrade, they might not realize the full impact of their decision.

We do 2-3 cruises a year (4 or 5 if you count the kids Cabin) and Carnival just recently earned our business back with outstanding shipboard service on cruise that we were on as part of a large family group). Wether they eventually move me or not, they've already changed how I will shop for my next cruise. We have always been willing to pay more to select our cabin, now when we have a choice. between choosing a cabin where we feel like we actually chose it, or choosing one where we feel like we will get it only it's financially good for Carnival, we go with the cabin we can choose.

Imy TA explained to me that they've always had this right but they are using it more and more to prevent people from booking empty berths completely before final payment and then making many more changes after final payment).

What's the point of doing that? Sounds like it would come with a great deal of potential extra expense.

What's the point of doing that? Sounds like it would come with a great deal of potential extra expense.

Sorry if I was less than clear, I meant two people booking a Trip and 3 booking a quad - without paying for the unused berth.

Used to be, less than 2 years ago, if you selected a cabin category, they would show all available cabins in that category regardless any extra berths. Now that only happens after final payment when they are trying to fill the ship up.

Sorry if I was less than clear, I meant two people booking a Trip and 3 booking a quad - without paying for the unused berth.

Used to be, less than 2 years ago, if you selected a cabin category, they would show all available cabins in that category regardless any extra berths. Now that only happens after final payment when they are trying to fill the ship up.

Okay, that makes more sense.:)

I was booked on Fantasy with 2 friends about 2-1/2 years ago. I ended up cancelling and booking a different ship. The other two had to change cabins when I cancelled because of the occupancy rules.

Not a huge deal. Same category, same deck, different location (but not a horrible one over a lounge or under the galley). Yes, it was a while prior to final payment but inventory was low so they couldn't stay in that cabin.

Makes perfect sense to me. If I book a quad as a solo, I would think they would have the right to bump me. As a shareholder, I don't have a problem with that as long as I don't end up in a "night owl" cabin! People complain about cutbacks but then think it's OK for the cruiseline to sail well below maximum capacity although they could sell more berths. That's not a good way to do business.

CCL is going to invoke this cabin change issue then their booking web site needs to CLEARLY STATE when one makes a cabin selection how many the cabin is able to hold and what might happen if you book less passengers than that number. You're apparently expected to guess whether the futon counts as requiring 3 booking ???

Somebody on this thread said "Again, chose a cabin that matches how many are in your party and you're 99.99% good to go."

I just did a mock booking and the booking software did NOT give the "occupancy requirements".

And where, pray tell, does the booking web site show what the "occupancy requirements" are for specific cabins?

And who are you to question/judge whether cruising in general is or isn't for me??? Because I don't agree with a policy that CCL is slack in providing information for you feel you are justified in determining my future vacations? You don't know me.

And where, pray tell, does the booking web site show what the "occupancy requirements" are for specific cabins?

And who are you to question/judge whether cruising in general is or isn't for me??? Because I don't agree with a policy that CCL is slack in providing information for you feel you are justified in determining my future vacations? You don't know me.

For pity sake, get down off the cross... someone out there needs the wood.

We all know exactly who you are now.

On EVERY deck plan online, there's a symbol ledger. Take a look at it. Specifically on carnival dot com, the deck plan symbol * means a triple cabin, a square means it's a quad cabin, and so forth. This question has already been answered. Nobody is asking folks to blindly pick a cabin. Of course you can do that. But if you do a bit of research, the symbols are there and show whether or not the cabins connect, etc. If you're really anal like me, you can go to goccl.com and pick your ship and deck where you will find exact stateroom dimensions, whether the balconies open up to one another, which rooms connect, where the laundry facilities are, all kinds of stuff.

Keep in mind, if a cabin shows as available for you to book, then either it exactly meets your occupancy requirements or the occupancy requirements have been lifted thereby allowing it to be booked for less people. This is how I was able to book a quad with 2. That cabin wasn't always available, but about 5 months out it was. I wanted that location so I booked it. Still, I knew of the possibility that I could be moved. I accepted it because the chance was slim. It was worth the risk and I didn't complain. Bottom line is Carnival reserves that right. I would never book a room without picking it myself first.