Anyone Going on Costa Magica 3/19?????

lawyerrose

Thanks Elaine! My wife and I are not drinkers, but we sure do like our diet coke! Thanks for the tip. We are flying in and Costa is handling the transport. I know that I don't want to fly with a bunch of drinks in luggage. So was curious if there will be some place near dock to stock-up?

My name is Mike and my wife's name is Gayla (mid 40's) and we are from Hurricane country (South Mississippi). It has been a frustrating 6 months around here and we are ready to get away, relax and be pampered a little! As I said earlier, we only have the one cruise on Carnival to compare. If it is as nice, we won't be disappointed. Some of the post here have been discouraging, but we take those with a grain of salt. Come hell or high water, we're gonna have FUN!

Go away pessimist! :)

Sorry, I mentioned my kids names but not mine! I'm Laurie and my husband is Joel. We'll be driving down, not so much fun, but FLL is an easier drive than MIA. I'm an actual FL native, and the hubby is from GA, so I guess we're the southern ones in this group! Would love to meet you guys. Let me know if you do a get together.

Thanks!!!

southern...hurricane country!!! : oh us floridians know EXACTLy what you mean. You have DEFINITELY earned a well-needed cruise vacation!

Yes you can stock up near the port. Go to 17th st Causeway, tons of stores, shops, restaurant. There is actually a CVS on the corner of 17th St & Eisenhower Blvd - they have EVERYTHING in this store. You turn right at that intersection (it's on that corner) then continue on Eisenhower and that will take you to the north entrance of the port, then just follow the signs for COSTA MAGICA!

Directions to 17th St - From 595, follows sign for US 1 NORTH (not Port Everglades). Take US 1 NORTH to 17th (a few lights), turn RIGHT (East). Follow through a few lights and just before the bridge, you will find the intersection @ 17th & Eisenhower and the CVS store.

This is becoming an enthousiastic thread,You really can have a-meet and greet- with all the CC members, the first day aboard !

I have not that luck,nobody response on my Roll Call crossing the Atlantic.,

We are with 3 and we like a lot of seadays .But the 5 Caribbean isles,

are the cream on the coffee Have been there more than once,but-----

To all of you happy cruising !! Enjoy your children as much as you can.

Time flies.(grandmother thoughts)

Europe 26 january

Thanks Taz'smom! Don't want anyone to think that I'm obsessed with diet coke.:D Just wanted to put together a game plan for my addiction fix. I arranged flight and transport through TA and Costa. So, when I fly in, they will take me directly to port. Is the CVS in walking distance? How do I get that luggage in with my other checked luggage? I'm sure that they will check carry on, so that's not a good idea?

A beverage card sure would make life easier!

I finally got booked on the Magica 3/19, or at least I think I did. Just checked availabilty again and the cabin I'm supposed to have is still available! So, I'll have to call my TA again tomorrow. WAAH! It has been so difficult trying to book this cruise since they have to contact Costa directly in order to do the Kids Sail Free promo and apparently they're pretty understaffed.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this board. It'll be nice to "know" some people beforehand. The last time we cruised, we didn't have any insider information and I'm sure we'll have a much better time since we won't be so clueless. I'm also glad to know that there will be plenty of kids on this sailing since we'll be taking my 3 y.o. and 7 y.o. girls on their first cruise.

My family is from NC and will be driving down to Ft Laud. Really looking forward to the road trip and especially sailing on the Magica. Will be much better than the same tired beach trip we usually take each year. I have lots and lots of questions, so I'll be picking the past cruiser's brains soon. I love researching and will be relieved to have everything planned in advance instead of justing playing it by ear once we get there.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to chatting soon.

Christa, Kreg, Sydney and Kassidy

Southern...well you possibly could walk it - probably about 20 min each way if you have that kind of time to kill. :eek: They serve coke on the ship (i wish it was Pepsi and yes I am an addict:p ) I thought they do have a beverage card...I don't think it's unlimited like other cruise lines, but I thought they did have something?

Glad you're joining us Christa! Ask away! That's one heck of a drive you've got!

Don't know if I mentioned this previously, here is an insider tip ;) which is unique to Costa - they don't take your Credit Card @ pier to establish your onboard account like other cruise lines do...it's done onboard the ship. You'll notice a BIG LONG line wrapped around the atrium....don't get on it. This is everyone who thinks they need to set up the account before they can charge...not so. You have 3 days to show them your credit card and you can make purchases prior without a problem. Simply go up to the front desk on day 2 or 3, show them your cc, they take an imprint and it's done in 2 min flat. I just laughed at all those people standing on that line wasting precious cruise time. It even states you have 3 days to take care of this in the tickets - I guess those people didn't read their tickets.

Because you've cruised with Costa before.... what is their dress code in the dining room.....?? On Carnival you are suppose to come in dressed nicely for dinner, i.e, no jeans, shorts, tank tanks, bathing suits etc...

Do Costa passengers get dressed up each night, have you seen jeans in the dining room or does the Maitre D actually turn them away?

Went shopping last nite and the question came up... I have a feeling this won't be the last question!!! Thnx...

Also, great info about the Credit Card.... I hate long lines and its good to know that we don't have to do it immediately... Doug might have picked that up in the tickets (when it comes to cruising, he reads everything he can get his hands on!!) but I know I would have missed it...

Also, do you know how much Costa puts "on hold" on the credit card for a 7 day cruise?

Elaine,

I wasn't on a full 7 nighter, so I can't say what the hold amount is. I think when you do cash it's a few hundred deposit down so I can only assume it's something like that.

Dress : Have you seen Cruise4Andy's review? It was really good, lots of good info and detals. He laid out the evening themes and attire in great detail. Here it is summarized as I sent it to my family :

Night 1 - Casual (no shorts or tank tops in dining room)

Night 2 - Day at sea; Formal night (suits, gowns, cocktail dresses**see below)

Night 3 - San Juan (night stop); Casual

Night 4 - St. Thomas; Italian Night/Casual (Wear Red, Green or white)

Night 5 - Catalina Island (day)/La Romana (night stop); Tropical Night/Casual

Night 6 - Day at sea; Formal night

Night 7 - Nassau (day); TOGA night! (Bedsheets & instructions will be provided) - I've heard about 90% participate :) in this fun dress up evening. What's great too, is it's the last night. You can pack those clothes and put the bags out for p/u and just wear that toga. Don't forget to leave clothes out for the next or you'll be disembarking in that toga! LOL! I bet it happens. Cruise Dir. said they "lose" a lot of shower curtains too.;) Those US ustoms Agents probably have a great laugh.

** To the Guys, if you plan on wearing cocktail dresses, please remember to shave your legs! LOL!:eek:

lawyerrose (names? Boynton Beach)

Elaine515 (Boynton Beach and West Boca) (early seating)

Elaine, Doug, Danielle (15, but almost 16) and Lauren (12)

Francine, Scott, Landon (11) and Adam (8)

Naomi & Marty... Elaine & Francine's parents...

taszmom (West Palm Beach) (Delray Beach and East Boca)

Nancy (me) & Chip + 1 : Taryn (7)

Helen (sister) + Jim + 4 : Samantha (16), Shannon (12), James (5), Jillian (3)

Peggy (sister) & Gene + 2 : Melissa (8), Matthew (4)

Tom (BIL) & Carolyn + 2 : Jessica (6), Brian (3)

Grandma (mine) & Grandpa

Grandma (MIL) & Great Aunt

Ellen (Boynton Beach) (late seating)

Ellen, Sam, Jason (16 the day we leave, 17 the next day!! and Stephanie 13..

llgator (Jacksonville)

Laurie, Joel, Griff-13, and Claudia-8,

southern cruiser (Hurricane Country, South Mississippi)

Mike & Gayla

christau (N Carolina)

Christa, Kreg, Sydney and Kassidy (3 & 7 but I dont know which one is which!!!)

veroman

Mr, Mrs, 2/12 yr old daughter and Aunt & Uncle

So, let me see if I can do this!!!

32 Adults and 20 Kids 18 and younger

Anyone I left out I'm really sorry, I didn't mean too!!! Anyone else want to join us, please do... I don't care what some passengers say, we're gonna have a gr8t time....

Nancy,

First, thanks for answering all of my questions... I told you there would be plently of them!!!

Now, if Samantha and/or Shannon want to email my 2 girls, Danielle and Lauren let me know and I'll give u their email addresses...Does Samantha go to the local high school? The reason I'm asking is because Danielle goes to Park Vista HS now but attended the BAK Middle School of the Arts and actually met someone from that school on our last years trip!!!

Found another local family cruising with us, Mom, Dad & 13 year old son.. She actually bowls on the same team with Scott and they were discussing it tonite!!!

Small world huh....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... WHO ELSE IS CRUISING WITH US?????

Samantha goes to Boca HS?? I think that's it. They live just east of I-95 & Just south of SW 18th. She went to Dreyfuss School of the Arts?? in WP for a few years for middle school, but decided to go to regular HS to be with her friends and commuting on tri-rail was a pain. Shannon is in middle school and I can find out the name of her school from my sister, but you might be able to figure out better than me based on where they live.

Did you get all your bookings cross-referenced and on the same dining time?

I am finalizing my table assignments now to submit to Costa.

Wow! I can't believe the roll call, I was gone a few days and look what happened.

So excited about having 3yr olds for my daughter to play with, first time cruising with her, 2nd time for me and first for hubby. It will be much better then our usual beach vacation, especially for my daughter.

By the way we are Laura and Brian and my daughter is Veronica.

Aunt Michelle and Uncle Benny.

Are we gonna set up a meet and greet?:o

Welcome back Veromom!!! Now, where is everyone else??? Let's get and keep this thread rockin and rollin.....

Nancy, If you want to email me, I'd like to see if perhaps Danielle and Samantha might know each other... Danielle majored in Dance when she attended BAK....

I called my TA this AM and she said that my group is all x-referenced together and that we should get the same table assignment. Obviously from past experience, we will definitely check 1st thing on-board and correct it if its not right....

I also finally got thru to Costa (do you know I had to wait 25 minutes 2xs and on the 3rd attempt I had to leave a message) but I am now able to get into their website with my booking # and book the tours.

Definitely the Kandela Show in San Domingo but thats the only definite tour as of right now.

Does anyone know if the stores stay open late in San Juan? I would like to think that they do but don't know for sure....

What is everyone else doing?

Hi Rose my family and I will be on the cruise too. 2nd time cruising for me first time for DH and 2 1/2yr old. We will be going with my dh aunt and uncle. A little apprehensive due to the postings. Hope it all works out. My daughter will not be quite 3 by then so I guess she will not be able to participate in the youth program :mad: . Well still looking forward to a much needed vacation. The last trio to an a-inclusive to Mexico in Spet. and my daughter wound up very ill the entire trip, rarely left the room. It can only be up from there! :D

I've been meaning to ask, what does "DH" or "dh" mean in these posts??

Hi Veromom,

We're starting to get real excited about the trip. I try not to get discouraged by some of the bad reviews. They all say the ship itself is beautiful, and I'm looking forward to that. My mom says how can being on a gorgeous ship taking a vacation be bad?!:)

We're in cabin 8300. Where will you be?

Seriously thinking of joining you guys but I have one question (for now)... especially to tazmom and lawyerrose (only because they live sooooooo close to us)....

How old are the kids who will be cruising with you, boys or girls, and have they ever cruised before?

My girls Danielle is 15 (16 in July) and Lauren 12. My nephews are Landon 11 and Adam 8.... We have cruised before, mostly Carnival and always have a great time but with Carnival we know there will always be lots of kids... With Costa, I'm just learning.... :)

While on a cruise, no matter which one, you can always have a good time but I want the kids to also enjoy themselves so I'm just doing a little bit of homework....

Thnx all....

Elaine

03/??/2006

09/02/2005 Carnival Fascination Bahamas

03/18/2005 NCL Spirit Southern

3/20/2004 Carnival Triumph Western

3/16/2003 Carnival Spirit Exotic W. Caribbean

08/02 NCL Sun

12/21/2001 Carnival Spirit Southern Caribbean

10/15/2000 Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean

1/31/2000 Ecstasy Western Caribbean

10/17/1999 Carnival Destiny Western Caribbean

10/98 RCL Grandeur of the Seas

10/18/1997 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean

10/6/1996 Carnival Sensation Western Caribbean

10/7/1995 Carnival Imagination Western Caribbean

10/94 Dolphin IV

11/6/1993 Carnival Celebration

11/1/1986 Carnival Carnivale

Sorry, no children traveling with us!

I've been meaning to ask, what does "DH" or "dh" mean in these posts??

Welcome back lawyerrose...No children is ok.... you can have some of mine!!!

Anyways, DH or DW or DD or DS usually means Dear Husband, Dear Wife, Dear Daughter or Dear Son..... etc...

So, I'm guessing your name is Rose....who will you be travelling with? We're on Boynton & Jog, how close are you????

lawyerrose,

I am in 8285 and my MIL (mother-in-law) is in 8288 and my BIL (brother-in-law) is in 8271.

We'll be bumping into each other on the elevator and/or stairs (I try to use the stairs whenever possible to burn some extra calories so I can eat more for dinner!)

Elaine,

I read somewhere that in SJ, because they know the ships are in port, the stores are open late. Would just make sense since they depend on tourism. With 3000 people "floating" :rolleyes: around, I would stay open late! I think I am going to just walk around SJ...I do want to see the forts, but not sure how well you can @ night. I assume it's all lit up...doing more research.

Kandela show - most likely, sounds like a great experience. Going to take ferry to St. John...already did St. Thomas - Magen's Bay Beach on previous cruise. Nassau - staying on ship...been there more times than I can count, just as recently as January. Want to enjoy an empty ship that day.

I emailed my sister to find out info about schools...she's so NOT into computers and way too busy with 4 kids to answer me. Anyway, Samantha is very involved in Irish Dancing. She will be performing @ Renaissance Festival in Quiet Waters entire month of Feb. We'll get the girls "hooked up" on the ship for sure.

I think it's like 45 more days (in about 20 minutes)!!!!! I'm almost getting excited. Have to look at my countdown clock below.....:D

Taszmom, looks like we'll be right across the hall from each other. We're in 8283. Taryn and Sydney are both 7, so hopefully they'll get to know each other. Dumb question, but is Taryn a boy or girl? I hope my 3 yr old can keep the temper tantrums to a minimum while we're on the ship. I'll be so embarassed if she bothers everyone in the neighboring cabins.

Anyway, I've come up with a few questions for you guys so far.

1.) Any idea what happens if you've booked the Kandela show and it rains? Are 3 y.o.'s allowed? I don't suppose there would be a charge since prices start at age 4, or maybe younger ones aren't welcome at all?

2.) Is there anything to do on Catalina Island within walking distance of the boat besides the beach?

3.) Any suggestions for an excursion in Nassau with the limited time we'll be there?

Christa

We will be in rooms 6200 something :) I forgot I need to look that up again. We have a balcony room, which I was thinking of changing because I am a little nervous about my active 3yr old. my DH says he will be claustophic if we don't keep the balcony. Anyhow I was looking in to San Juan too because my DH family is from there and he has never been!

He was so excited till he realized it was for such a short time. I have heard that the Fort closes early by others who have been there recently.

I can't imagagine that they do not keep a lot of touristy things open just for the ships, most places do. If anyone finds out more please let me know. As far as the other ports not too interested in St.Thomas, although I plan on making the best of it all. I am gonna wait to book the excursion if I take any, cause I usually like to do it alone, until we are on board, you never know with a 3yr old what that day may bring! Been there a few times already. :p. I'm looking forward to the Kandela show though. I am from Chicago and was waiting to book my airfare for some good last minute fares, but they have gone up soooo much, I need to move on that quickly. I am really starting to get excited. I want one of those tickers too!

christau,

Taryn is a she. It's an Irish name, combo of Tara & Erin. My neice is also on cruise and she's 8, so there will be plenty of girls to have a blast with.

Nassau - Atlantis - they have a huge aquarium. We didn't do the inside tour, costs like $25pp. Some parts of the aquarium are visible walking through the "hotel". We got a good view of fish just from that.

or

Pirate Museum (walking distance from ship). There is a courtyard restaurant connected to it with gift shop where you can get a bite to eat (conch fritters!) and it's a great place to hang out because the little ones can run around safely. They have one of those photo op pirate picture things where you stick your head and hands through and it looks like your a pirate. I remember island music playing - can't remember if live or just on speakers. The museum is a little dark (scary for 3yr olds?), but it was neat to see.

We've got a lot of 3yr olds on this cruise, that's for sure. The Kandela show is a family excursion. There are fireworks. I guess depends on what your 3yr old finds entertaining. Some don't like those loud noises. It's in a big amphitheatre and I can only imagine that we get refunds if show cancels for rain. Rainy season is the summer months anyway.

The door of the balcony is VERY VERY heavy. I don't think a 3yr old can open by himself plus it has a lock on the door. I can barely open the door myself. You DO want to watch them when they are out there...no climbing on the deck chairs and looking over the balcony:eek:

Archived