Luggage Advice ?

EDB157

First Time cruiser....any advice regarding luggage...just got my tags and they look pretty flimsy...anybody have a creative solution to ensure they get where there are going ? they arent even as good as what the airlines use.

Thank you

I bring along plastic luggage tags that I found on Amazon - fold the paper tags, slip them into plastic tags and attach to your bags.

I don't put them on until the day we are headed to the cruise port - after my flight in.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruisetags-Cruise-Ship-Luggage-Tags/dp/B007UXMQXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478703455&sr=8-3&keywords=plastic+cruise+luggage+tags

I laminated mine as I have a laminator at work- if you don't have access to one then the cellotape laminating method above works well too. Then maybe just bring some tape along to tape them shut around the handle (or staple them). I agree they are so flimsy as just paper and I didn't trust them not to get torn off!

We just take along a roll of packing tape from the dollar store, borrow a pair of scissors from the hotel front desk, reinforce the tags the morning of the cruise, and leave the leftover tape at the hotel. Cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do what one would like when flying & checking luggage ... put an extra luggage tag/itineray info INSIDE the baggage, easily visible in case the exterior/external tag get ripped off, lost or misplaced, etc.

For privacy reasons, you can put that inside a sealed envelope - magic marker it - in case your bag is mis-routed and it will be useful to help get it reunited. Also, take pictures if the checked bag so you can share/provide that to the luggage "recovery" folks in case it's "lost" to aid in identification.

For soft-side/expandable bags with zippered openings, you can "secure" it with a "color" plastic zip tie (against tampering or merely being open for security checks) - a small nail clipper would cut that.

Don't bring nail clippers with you. TSA will take them. After a cruise line lost our daughter's suitcase, we split our clothes between our suitcases so we each have something to wear incase one goes astray.:)

Don't bring nail clippers with you. TSA will take them. After a cruise line lost our daughter's suitcase, we split our clothes between our suitcases so we each have something to wear incase one goes astray.:)

I fly over 100k miles a year. You can definately bring nail clippers through TSA security checkpoints now.

Not to go seriously off-topic on nail clippers, but ...

Port security is NOT TSA and even published TSA regulations for airport screening & permitted carry-on baggage allow for small, blunt & round bladed items such as nail clippers.

Of course, it's typically at the "discretion" of the TSA "crooks" stationed at the checkpoint, invoking security theatrics - like when they spotted a nice "souvenir" items and/or have a shortage of nail clippers for their "voluntary surrendered" bins :rolleyes: ;) BTW, which airport(s) were doing this - domestic or int'l flights ? Overseas, I've had contract security "examined" my hi-output LED flashlight for safety reasons but returned it promptly once they are satisfied. Mrs. M typically has an extra clipper with her as well.

There are other less subtle ways of cutting or breaking those zip ties, suffice to say - I won't go into how & what, etc.

I read the best idea a few years ago on the RC board.

A guy posted that he went to Walmart and purchased these travel toothbrush kits that come with toothpaste and a toothbrush inside a clear, vinyl zip locked case! :eek:

There were .99 at the time. I did this and found some chicken ties that are stretchable and attached it to the case, which I use to tie on to the handle. ;)

So, for 5 bucks, you get 5 luggage tags, 5 toothbrushes, and 5 travel tubes of toothpaste! :D

I "made" it work with NCL tags because they are wider than RC when folded. But it does work!