Ships changing ports

sjcruiser

Just received an email from Carnival, the Liberty is coming to Port Canaveral in December, and the Valor is going to Galveston due to the Valor being able to handle the speeds needed for longer cruises. We were set to go on the Valor for Christmas weekend. It's no big deal to us, and we'll go with the flow.

Carnival

IMPORTANT NOTICE

CARNIVAL VALOR

CHANGE OF SISTER SHIPS

12/18/2016 - 04/30/2018

November 11, 2016

Dear Carnival Valor Guest,

We know you must be looking forward to your vacation, so we'd like to inform you of an important change to your cruise.

Carnival Valor will be changing her homeport to Galveston, Texas next month. This change is being made since Carnival Valor is better suited to operate at the higher speeds required for the four and five-day Mexico itineraries from Galveston.

Not to worry, Carnival Liberty will be sailing year round from Port Canaveral beginning December 15, 2016 and will take over scheduled itineraries given that she is well equipped to handle our short duration cruises from Central Florida. Prior to repositioning to Port Canaveral, Carnival Liberty will have just completed a dry dock and will be refreshed for our guests.

Built only one year apart, Carnival Liberty is a sister ship to Carnival Valor and has similar accommodations, public venues and Fun Ship 2.0 features including Guy's Burger Joint, BlueIguana Cantina, the RedFrog Rum Bar and BlueIguana Tequila Bar.

As a result of this repositioning, your reservation will be moved to a comparable stateroom aboard the beautiful Carnival Liberty. Your departure date and scheduled itinerary will remain the same.

Sit back and relax...we'll be doing all the work. Affected sailings are now temporarily closed in the system as our team prepares to make the necessary changes. This means that you, nor our contact center, will be able to make modifications to your reservation until it has been moved over to Carnival Liberty.

We will do everything possible to match your current accommodations. Fly2Fun flights, transfers and other vacation components such as dining, pre-paid gratuities, shore excursions, Fun Shop items and Spa reservations will be maintained on your booking.

We anticipate our work will be completed by the end of November. A confirmation with your stateroom assignment will be sent to you as soon as we have finished.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

We're looking forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Carnival Liberty for a FUN and memorable cruise!

Sincerely,

Denese Waiters Signature

Denese Waiters

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers

I was really looking forward to sailing on the Valor.

Not sure how I feel about the change. I purposely booked early to ensure I got ship, the floor and stateroom that I wanted.

Being that they are making this change are we obligated to accept it or can we cancel if we are not happy with the changes and room assignments?

I was really looking forward to sailing on the Valor.

Not sure how I feel about the change. I purposely booked early to ensure I got ship, the floor and stateroom that I wanted.

Being that they are making this change are we obligated to accept it or can we cancel if we are not happy with the changes and room assignments?

Good question! I booked adjoining cabins, a MUST have. If there is no adjoining door then... well, then... guess we have to rebook something else.:o Fingers crossed they keep us with two adjoining cabins.

Good question! I booked adjoining cabins, a MUST have. If there is no adjoining door then... well, then... guess we have to rebook something else.:o Fingers crossed they keep us with two adjoining cabins.

You booked connecting cabins, cabins with a door between them. Adjoining cabins are simply side - by - side. EM

Another thing people might consider... unless the 6j and 6k scenic ocean view cabins are being added to the Liberty this drydock, the Liberty does not have them... which means if you were booked on the Liberty and have been moved to the Valor there is a chance if you call that you might be able to snag one of those cabins... Alternatly, if you were on the Valor booked in that cabin catagory you will be moved....

Seems like this change was made rather quickly....or had they been thinking about it for a while?

It's all come about due to the recent problems with Liberty engines not being able to maintain 'fast' speeds due to only 3 working engines, not 4. She can handle the shorter Bahama cruises at her slower speed out of Florida, but not the longer cruises out of Galveston.

There were recent cancellations of Liberty cruises out of Galveston for them to work on the problem, however, it was not solved. The solution requires major engine parts that are not 'on the shelf' products.

Another thing people might consider... unless the 6j and 6k scenic ocean view cabins are being added to the Liberty this drydock, the Liberty does not have them... which means if you were booked on the Liberty and have been moved to the Valor there is a chance if you call that you might be able to snag one of those cabins... Alternatly, if you were on the Valor booked in that cabin catagory you will be moved....

Yep. However, the valor doesn't have 4j cabins on Lido. Soooo.... I'm not sure what they are going to move us to. Hoping maybe the scenic ocean view that are in their place. Fingers crossed!! But, I bet they'll move us to a regular ocean view on deck 1 or 2:(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got the same letter today. Our cruise doesn't sail until Aug. We have 5 balconies on Lido side by side. Not worried about it cause Lido is pretty much the same on both ships at least as far as the balcony cabins are setup

Carnival always sticks to it's loyal customers !!!!

Over 10,000 posts and this is what you have to offer? Really?

Here's how they stuck it to us. Carnival has worked feverishly to fix the Liberty. There isn't one of the 4 motors not working. There aren't 4 drive motors on the ship.

The Liberty has two electric drive motors. There are fuel oil generators aboard that produce current to power the ship and keep the blenders making drinks. The drive motors use a copper winding in tandem in each motor to turn shafts that pass through the hull to the propellers. Indications are one of those windings has failed. The original plans were to make the repairs, sea test the ship and put her back in service. Clearly that didn't work, and they cancelled the second cruise. I'm not a marine engineer, I don't even play one on TV. I do however read what experts in the field have reported. If you don't buy in to my post then move on to the next.

The Cozumel run requires a fast ship to make it around the Yucatan peninsula and back for the 4 day run and make a Progreso stop for the 5 day. This is evident when the ship is delayed and Cozumel is cut short or the port order is reversed. It's easier to get to Progreso in one sea day versus Cozumel.

The ship has one drive motor not operating a full power. A strong chance exists that a hole the size of a truck will be cut in the hull and the motor rebuild completed. This takes drydock time, and according to some Carnival might not have the space reserved for that length. So what to do?

It takes less speed to sail from Florida to Eastern ports and Half-Moon Cay, so the Valor, fresh from it's refurbishment is headed here. That makes a very popular port with three ships sailing full time move on from a big problem.

Both the Liberty and Valor are Conquest class ships. Those booked on the Liberty (like me x2) aren't loosing anything after the relocation and getting back on sync. I feel empathy for those with vacation plans that were disrupted. We've been right there with you.

Our floating funnel hosts have done decent work to save image and customers. Based on this post not everyone is happy and nothing could make them that way.

Edited by BallFour4

Sadly we.were booked in one of those 6ks back in 2015 when they made the Valor to liberty switch. We ended up getting upgraded to a Lido balcony. Definitely not an upgrade in our minds. But then when we did sail we were part of the cruise that had the engine fire. All in all that cruise did not work out as planned. Yet somehow here we are booked on another b2b in another 6k for next spring. Somehow when you have an addiction nothing seems to keep you from cruising.

Edited by jmcancruise