California Coastal or Mexican Riveria?

Beachiekeen

Kruzprincess beautiful pics! We've been to SF before and took a boat ride underneath the GG bridge. We have talked about one day driving up Highway One from LA to SF (a trip my husband has done before) and part of me wants to "save" California for that trip. I just wish we were in the Mexico ports longer.

We will keep researching I guess. Thanks for everyone's input, it's so helpful!

Kruzprincess beautiful pics! We've been to SF before and took a boat ride underneath the GG bridge. We have talked about one day driving up Highway One from LA to SF (a trip my husband has done before) and part of me wants to "save" California for that trip. I just wish we were in the Mexico ports longer.

We will keep researching I guess. Thanks for everyone's input, it's so helpful!

You're welcome. Good luck. Research and planning is half the fun.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Do Hawaii...that is what your first choice is.......go where you want to go.

But, which matches up best to Hawaii.............. Mexico......

BTW, I in So Cal so this year just happened to go to Mexico on 3 cruises most recently Oct 15 -Ruby and PC twice(one was a shorty).

I think they r both wonderful..

Edited by land lover

Sknight thanks for the perspective! We'll just have to examine each one more closely. I'll have a look at the Mexico ports and see if three resort days or touring 4 cities appeals to us more.

Looking closer, we are in the coastal ports much longer than the Mexico ports and are only in Cabo until 2:00 which was the port I was most looking forward to.

My wife and I just left the Ruby yesterday. The ship is in great shape, it was our third time onboard and it made its way back to the top of my wife's favorite ship list, (I still love the Regal ;o) Food, service, cleanliness, etc were excellent.

Re your comment about the weather and the Sanctuary. We booked the Sanctuary at embarkation for just the sea days, and the first and last days, closest to LA, were quite brisk. Most people were under blankets on the last day as we had a strong head wind, and even the first sea day out of LA was cool. If we do that itinerary again at this time of year, I don't think we'll bother with the Sanctuary.

The ports, to us, ranged from great to never again. PV was very nice, very scenic and didn't feel unsafe in any way. We'd be happy to go back. I was looking forward to Cabo very much, but the short stay, and the fact that it's a tender port, made for a very short day. Also, the local vendors at the tender dock in the Marina were far and away the most obnoxious and harassing bunch I have ever encountered. Mazatlan, to us, was a wasted day. You can't really feel unsafe there, due to the tourist police and black-clad Federales with automatic weapons on almost every street corner. It wasn't as picturesque or as clean as the other two stops, seemed run down, and unless you are on an excursion, there didn't seem to be as much to do. We certainly don't need to go back there any time soon. The weather in PV and Mazatlan was hot and humid, in Cabo hot and somewhat drier. Temps in the mid to upper eighties, though the nights on the ship got cool.

Best of luck with your decision, I envy you your choice. A California Coastal is also on our list of next-to-do cruises ;o)

My wife and I just left the Ruby yesterday. The ship is in great shape, it was our third time onboard and it made its way back to the top of my wife's favorite ship list, (I still love the Regal ;o) Food, service, cleanliness, etc were excellent.

Re your comment about the weather and the Sanctuary. We booked the Sanctuary at embarkation for just the sea days, and the first and last days, closest to LA, were quite brisk. Most people were under blankets on the last day as we had a strong head wind, and even the first sea day out of LA was cool. If we do that itinerary again at this time of year, I don't think we'll bother with the Sanctuary.

The ports, to us, ranged from great to never again. PV was very nice, very scenic and didn't feel unsafe in any way. We'd be happy to go back. I was looking forward to Cabo very much, but the short stay, and the fact that it's a tender port, made for a very short day. Also, the local vendors at the tender dock in the Marina were far and away the most obnoxious and harassing bunch I have ever encountered. Mazatlan, to us, was a wasted day. You can't really feel unsafe there, due to the tourist police and black-clad Federales with automatic weapons on almost every street corner. It wasn't as picturesque or as clean as the other two stops, seemed run down, and unless you are on an excursion, there didn't seem to be as much to do. We certainly don't need to go back there any time soon. The weather in PV and Mazatlan was hot and humid, in Cabo hot and somewhat drier. Temps in the mid to upper eighties, though the nights on the ship got cool.

Best of luck with your decision, I envy you your choice. A California Coastal is also on our list of next-to-do cruises ;o)

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. The short day in Cabo is a deterrent for sure. I found a Carnival cruise that had 2 days in Cabo and one in PV.

I haven't given up on Hawaii especially since fall is a great time of year to go. But the cost is considerably more so we'll have to see.

If you should decide on going to the Mexican Riviera you absolutely should pick the first week of Nov over the month of Oct. Huge difference in temps, believe it or not. We just came back last month from there and it was 95 degrees with 85-95 percent humidity. Have been several times before in Oct, and while it is always hot and sticky, this was the worst.

Having said that, we've traveled there first week of Nov and it was a completely different experience.

Having said THAT, if it were me I would pick the Regal Princess since we love the buffet and the newer ship feel as well as the itineraries

Regarding Hurricanes, I've been on a cruise or two in Mexico when we were outrunning category 3's in October. We skipped Cabo.

Also have been on land trips twice in late September early October and hurricanes were off the coast, category 2 and 3.

Sept Oct can be active. This oct we had bright blue skies the whole trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me