Has Norwegian Escape's WiFi been upgraded?

Ku4anci

We are going on a cruise in the beginning of January and wondering if internet speed has been improved on the Escape? I got the 250 min. package and hope it wll be similar to Carnival which was fantastic speed-wise last January.

We are going on a cruise in the beginning of January and wondering if internet speed has been improved on the Escape? I got the 250 min. package and hope it wll be similar to Carnival which was fantastic speed-wise last January.

?? Upgrade ?

She's not even broken in yet.

I have been reading on several posts here that they were going to be doing this, but so far have yet to hear that it is working better than before. I also am hoping for some improvement.

?? Upgrade? She's not even broken in yet.

Yes. The wifi fleet-wide was suppose to be upgraded over the summer.

We take 5-6 cruises a year,,,,, and by far, the wifi on the Escape was the absolute worst. In May (which was our second time on the Escape), the wifi service was unusable. MTN claims that NCL continues to sell wifi packages well beyond the capacity of the system. Both times we have been on the Escape, I have talked directly to the Hotel Director about the "issue".

We've been on a couple of ships post-upgrade and the service has been good (for a satellite-based system). Having a local cache server give you quick hits if you are in the cache, and reduces the amount of traffic over the satellite. And increased bandwidth and better bandwidth management doesn't hurt either.

Yes. The wifi fleet-wide was suppose to be upgraded over the summer.

We take 5-6 cruises a year,,,,, and by far, the wifi on the Escape was the absolute worst. In May (which was our second time on the Escape), the wifi service was unusable. MTN claims that NCL continues to sell wifi packages well beyond the capacity of the system. Both times we have been on the Escape, I have talked directly to the Hotel Director about the "issue".

We've been on a couple of ships post-upgrade and the service has been good (for a satellite-based system). Having a local cache server give you quick hits if you are in the cache, and reduces the amount of traffic over the satellite. And increased bandwidth and better bandwidth management doesn't hurt either.

Just got off the Epic and the internet was unusable for me. I even got up and tried at 2am but it was not much better. The 4 terminals in the library which is what you have to use if you don't bring your own laptop were not good.

NCL do sell more service packages than they can actually provide, this applies to internet as well as to specialty dining, some of my fellow travelers were left with expensive but unusable dinner vouchers as the restaurants were booked up solid.

Just got off the Epic and the internet was unusable for me. I even got up and tried at 2am but it was not much better. The 4 terminals in the library which is what you have to use if you don't bring your own laptop were not good.

NCL do sell more service packages than they can actually provide, this applies to internet as well as to specialty dining, some of my fellow travelers were left with expensive but unusable dinner vouchers as the restaurants were booked up solid.

Same on the Gem, works much better with your own devices, but still painfully slow. I got 250 minutes for free deal, would never pay for it. Much better off going to free Wi-Fi spots in port. Nursing a $3 soda is a lot cheaper and faster than the onboard deal.