Taking your own wine onboard?

gordylad

The official policy is 2 750ml bottles per stateroom on embarkation day only, and none from ports. However, enforcement varies. Most of the time you will see tables set up where you are to check the wine you purchased in port, which will be tagged with your name and stateroom number, to be returned to you when you are preparing to disembark. However, sometimes they overlook this and your wine comes on without impediment. There doesn't seem to be any way to predict what will happen at any particular port. Assume your will be taken, and if it isn't, consider it your lucky day.

Has anyone ever had a problem bringing a bottle of port wine onboard at embarkation?

Easiest way to get the 100 percent correct answer is to call Celebrity directly.

Otherwise, you will take the risk of having a very nice unopened bottle of Port confisicated and held until the end of the cruise. Of course, if the bottle had a broken seal, the Port would be dumped down a drain.

The official policy is 2 750ml bottles per stateroom on embarkation day only, and none from ports. However, enforcement varies. Most of the time you will see tables set up where you are to check the wine you purchased in port, which will be tagged with your name and stateroom number, to be returned to you when you are preparing to disembark. However, sometimes they overlook this and your wine comes on without impediment. There doesn't seem to be any way to predict what will happen at any particular port. Assume your will be taken, and if it isn't, consider it your lucky day.

I saw no such tables at any port on our recent Med cruise on Equinox. We were behind a couple that had wine from a winery which they put through the scanner. It was obviously wine for anyone to see, security let it through and no one asked them to turn it over.

Has anyone ever had a problem bringing a bottle of port wine onboard at embarkation?

I'm confused:confused: Are you asking if you can bring port wine ( variety of fortified wine) when you board at the initial embarkation port?

Or are you talking about bringing wine on the ship at a port of call after your visit?

I'm confused:confused: Are you asking if you can bring port wine ( variety of fortified wine) when you board at the initial embarkation port?

Or are you talking about bringing wine on the ship at a port of call after your visit?

Thank you Sandtrap, I did call and the rep sounded very unsure of himself so I thought I would throw it out to CruiseCritics.

EandJ, I am asking about bringing it on at embarkation. I've been bringing a couple of bottles of wine on when we board for years but have recently discovered port wine. I figure that a bottle of port will last me the entire cruise but I wasn't sure if Celebrity would treat it differently from table wine because of the fortification.

I'm going to bring a bottle and see what happens. Worst case scenario is they hold it until we return. Thanks for all the replies. :)

That was only my suggestion. No one has to take it - nor give snarky replies.

Thank you Sandtrap, I did call and the rep sounded very unsure of himself so I thought I would throw it out to CruiseCritics.

It was not snarky-- it was accurate and true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The question has come up in the past. Do search using "fortified" and "wine" to see other threads about this. Don't use "port" in the search because you'll find thousands of irrelevant posts.

My suspicion is that the workers in the terminal won't be familiar with port. It if they stop you and try to claim its liquor, just show them something on the label that says "wine" and they will let you through

Can you take 2 bottles of champagne on board at embarkation time or it will be considered other than just wine? I have not been able to find a precise answer to this question. Thanks in advance.

Can you take 2 bottles of champagne on board at embarkation time or it will be considered other than just wine? I have not been able to find a precise answer to this question. Thanks in advance.

wine and/or sparkling wine are viewed as the same. you'll be fine.

we boarded the silhouette in Amsterdam after being in Paris and brought champagne onboard with us with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from the Reflection and wanted to provide an update to my port wine question. I had no trouble bringing on a bottle of Taylor 20 year old port. They just checked the size and waved it through. Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks, PTCruizer, for this information. I may bring a bottle of port on my next cruise - nice to know this is an option.