Drink Package

ScottC4746

Maybe I didn't write my post clearly enough, because that was my point exactly; that each person has to evaluate for themselves whether the bottled water factor actually makes financial sense for them.

For me, I would not factor in the bottled water to the break even point because if I didn't have the package, I would not buy the bottled water. I drink the ship water because I find it to taste fine and the cost of their bottled isn't worth it to me, even though at home I am a bottled water drinker. I have bottled water and 5 gallon jugs of filtered water delivered to my door every month, but even that only costs me $30 a month, not $70 a week.

I have brought my own bottled water on the ship to take with me when we go onshore, at the cost of $6 per 24-bottle case. If they didn't allow me to do that I would bring a reusable bottle and have it filled up on the ship to take with me, because I simply don't see spending $70 a week on water a good use of my money (I'd rather use it to scuba dive or leave it in my vacation account to go towards a future vacation). Some people do, which was the point of my post. Determine whether that bottled water calculation is just to help you get to the break even point, and if the bottled water is what is getting you there...is it worth that much money to you? That was my point.

EDITED TO ADD: I do see your point though, that it isn't just alcohol that counts. My point was more about focusing on the water as the one thing that brings people to break even. Also, if people are mainly drinking non-alcoholic drinks, they should also evaluate whether they'd be better off with the refreshment package and then just buying alcohol out of pocket. For people like me who don't drink coffee very often, and rarely if ever drink juice, and am ok drinking ship water, the package would be just for the alcohol, which I couldn't drink enough of on a daily basis to make it worth it, and adding in bottled water to justify the price of the package isn't really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume you're talking here about bottled STILL water. I drink mostly SPARKLING water and that's never free that I've seen. The only "free" water you get onboard is basically tap water. Yuck. Now if I'm wrong and the cruise lines are offering free Pellegrino somewhere, that's new to me. Regardless, as you say, everyone has to judge his/her individual tastes and consumption. On average I'd drink 3-4 bottles of sparkling water throughout the way, 2 cappuccinos in the morning and a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, a couple of soft drinks, a couple of cocktails and 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner. For me, the $38/day I paid will more than pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you're talking here about bottled STILL water. I drink mostly SPARKLING water and that's never free that I've seen. The only "free" water you get onboard is basically tap water. Yuck. Now if I'm wrong and the cruise lines are offering free Pellegrino somewhere, that's new to me. Regardless, as you say, everyone has to judge his/her individual tastes and consumption. On average I'd drink 3-4 bottles of sparkling water throughout the way, 2 cappuccinos in the morning and a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, a couple of soft drinks, a couple of cocktails and 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner. For me, the $38/day I paid will more than pay off.

Yeah I was talking about plain ole regular still water. For you, the drink package definitely sounds worth it. I think $38 is a reasonable price for the package and should probably be priced close to that regularly. I bet they'd sell a lot more of them, even to people who wouldn't break even. If I drank enough liquids to break even on the package as it's priced normally, I'd come home 20 pounds heavier because I am almost strictly a water drinker at home so that would add a lot of calories to my usual intake, but if the price went down to $35-$38 I'd probably buy it and give it a try.

Generally sodas, coffee and water in the day time .

ME: Martini before dinner wine with dinner after dinner drink willing to try the drink of the day.

DH: Pretty much the same as I less the after dinner drink, but he could surprise me.

You'll have to add a couple of mimosas or bloody Mary's with breakfast to come close to breaking even.

It used to be if you drink 5 or more drinks a day package was worthy it, now with discount its down to 4, we will have 2 glasses of wine with lunch and another 2 with dinner, and a few more during the day, already paid for drink package for April cruise sand thinking about buying it now for November 2017 cruise

Keep an eye on the Cruise Planner page, our upcoming Liberty cruise had "Up to 30% Off" one day I checked, so we got the Premier for about $38/dy, since grandfathered to the new "Deluxe" package. No brainer given today's drink prices:D:D

Edited by pspercy

OMG: are we really splitting hairs over bottled water?

No splitting hairs, just pointing out that what works for one passenger doesn't necessarily work for another. I always take all of the beverage options into consideration when pricing the UBP, not just alcohol and not just bottled H2O.

Yeah I was talking about plain ole regular still water. For you, the drink package definitely sounds worth it. I think $38 is a reasonable price for the package and should probably be priced close to that regularly. I bet they'd sell a lot more of them, even to people who wouldn't break even. If I drank enough liquids to break even on the package as it's priced normally, I'd come home 20 pounds heavier because I am almost strictly a water drinker at home so that would add a lot of calories to my usual intake, but if the price went down to $35-$38 I'd probably buy it and give it a try.

Agree with you on price. The regular $55 was too high, but the 30% off deal brought it down to reasonable territory. We've had the unlimited package twice on Costa. First time it cost ~ $25 per day, second time (4 years later) it was still only about $35.

Keep an eye on the Cruise Planner page, our upcoming Liberty cruise had "Up to 30% Off" one day I checked, so we got the Premier for about $38/dy, since grandfathered to the new "Deluxe" package. No brainer given today's drink prices:D:D

I know it was 25 percent off and I did not book it a couple of months ago, at least I am locked in at 20 , also have a 9 day cruise on Navigator next November that I need to buy package for

For me the deluxe package is a rip off, sadly we Aussies like to drink but not pay the tips (flame suit on) so when I try and calculate the cost of drinking to the point I break even, it turns me into an alcoholic for 8 days:cool:

For some people this would be a great deal like one of my friend who drinks and is an alcoholic but refuses to admit it :eek: so its a bargain for him..but for me its a joke to pay so much and I've even factored in the coffee and bottled water and juice etc, but damn, how and why do these cruise lines think this is a good deal for the average joe? :confused:

On the plus side, it makes total sense that you can try the any cocktail of the day, have a few drinks take a few bottles of sparkling water and enjoy a nice coffee and not worry of what the invoice will look like when wrapping up the cruise and I have read you can order a package until the last 3 days of the cruise if you feel your braking the bank on drinks

If someone does find a discount on the RCCL Explorer OS please PM me, as I an trying not to pay 8X$62 per day for the Deluxe Beverage Package :eek::eek:

PEACE

Kosti

All this reminds me of something I had to take in my working days - The Myers Briggs Type Tests where you're reduced to a four letter code. One of them (INTJ?) had as an example behaviour "paralysis by analysis", lots of that type here:):)

All this reminds me of something I had to take in my working days - The Myers Briggs Type Tests where you're reduced to a four letter code. One of them (INTJ?) had as an example behaviour "paralysis by analysis", lots of that type here:):)

Too true! I would add that for many people, it seems to come down exclusively to the economic factor, as in "will I drink enough drinks every day to make the package price worth it?" Based on that alone, I find the package prices (unless they're discounted) to be not much of a bargain. However, I always consider the convenience factor and the prepaid factor. Convenience because I know I can order just about any drink and not worry about whether it's a good deal, and the prepaid factor, meaning I don't have to worry about a large bar tab at the end of my cruise. The times where I've paid à la carte, I've been very cheap and tried to minimize my drink purchases and ended up feeling like a cheapskate and didn't enjoy the cruise as much. Conversely, when I've bought the drink packages, I've wound up drinking too much in order to justify the cost of the package. Oh well, every option has its pros and cons, I guess.

• 2 months later...

Well if you feel the package is a good deal, what until you have to pay a few extra $$ because RCCL felt it was a good idea to jack up prices and your "premium package" doesn't cover it

screw u RCCL and your BS price hike :mad:I hope everyone takes on rumrunners now:eek:

How low has anyone seen a spring break 5-day cruise premium package get?

Also, this is me typically:

free beverages all day in dining room or Windjammer, etc. with the exception of maybe 1 coke every other day + 1 cocktail or glass of wine with dinner

This would be me on the unlimited package:

specialty coffee + juice with breakfast

a few bottled waters during the day

sparkling water with lunch

a mixed drink after lunch

another specialty coffee to wake me up from the mixed drink

another mixed drink, wine or beer with dinner

a coke to wake me up from the alcohol at dinner

1-2 more mixed drinks later when it is closer to bedtime

So I should definitely buy it right? How is that for the tail wagging the dog...