What Misconceptions About Cruising Do Your Non-cruising Friends/Family Have?

Two Wheels Only

I partly disagree. Yes, there's lots of places cruise ships don't go which would make nice land based vacations. And it isn't really fair to make a snap judgement about hating a whole country after spending 6 hours there. But I think it's an amazing way to discover lots of destinations you would never have seen otherwise. I'd never have gone to Madeira or Malaga (and in fact had barely heard of either) but since stopping at them on a cruise I would happily plan a land based trip to either. In fact sampling new places is now my #1 reason to cruise.

We've stayed for 1 week on Madeira on a land based trip and had a great time. While in a hotel room in Mallorca, we could see cruise ships pulling into port in Palma.

At first, all of our trips abroad were land based, but now we cruise more often. Yes, we heard all of those "what ifs," but decided to try it anyway. My first cruises were with girl friends, but then my reluctant husband decided to come along. Now cruises are his favorite vacation mode, especially on NCL.

"I can't believe you want to be stuck in a tiny little cabin for a week on a boat filled with old people. You're gonna get that Noro thing and I hope your pilot doesn't get drunk and crash like what happened to that boat in Italy. What happens if there's a big wave? Will you turn upside down like in the Poseidon Adventure?"

I wish there was a like button on here :')

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I get that, too. Non-cruisers don't realize that if cruising was important to them, like it is to me, they could do it too simply by making different choices with their money.

I don't get manicures or pedicures, buy expensive make-up or skin-care products, go on weekend getaways (a few of those each year easily equal a cruise), buy the latest and greatest electronics, have expensive cable packages, etc.

Completely agree!! My colleagues always ask me how I can afford to cruise... then they go and spend £100 every Friday night drinking! While I'm on here reading about cruises haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are taking the kids on their first cruise and they are all freaked out about all the what ifs. They have run the full range of craziness in their 10, 12 and 14 yo minds. Some of the best precruise entertainment i have ever witnessed. Funniest thing is the cruiseship was picked out by my then 9 yo step daughter and all 3 had a cruise on their "bucketlists" until we actually booked it.

People that I've talked to who have never cruised think everybody just toggles back and forth between laying out on deck in lounge chairs and going to the various eateries and eating. They honestly think that's all people do for the whole cruise.

You just described my idea of bliss! :D

My late stepfather wouldn't step foot on a cruise ship for fear of getting seasick. He would not/could not be convinced otherwise.

He was in the Coast Guard off the coast of Maine in WWII and had siblings who were lobstermen. :confused:

Then again, he was a cranky old cuss who would have found plenty to b*tch about, anyway, so it's probably just as well.

^^^^THIS^^^^

MIL has wanted to see Alaska, but FIL barely survived the boat trip to Japan in the 60's. No cruising for them both, and there's no reasoning with him, either!

After getting "stuck" at his daughter's house during 9/11, he also decreed no more plane trips for them both... so no European cruise, either.

People that I've talked to who have never cruised think everybody just toggles back and forth between laying out on deck in lounge chairs and going to the various eateries and eating. They honestly think that's all people do for the whole cruise.

The only time I am on the deck is for a quick swim or to watch the stars, sunset, or sunrise.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Forums mobile app