Pride of America- kayaking in Kauai and Rental cars

Adventuresabound

Hi All!

We'll be sailing out this weekend on POA. We would like to do kayaking in Kauai, and are hoping for suggestions for the best tour companies. The ship offers the Jungle falls and Hidden falls trips which seem cool because it's a kayaking/ waterfall swimming thing, but I feel like I could do it for half the price from another company who does pick up at the port. Any suggestions?

Also has anyone done volcanos national park via rental car as opposed to a tour? How did it work out?

Thanks!!

Hi All!

We'll be sailing out this weekend on POA. We would like to do kayaking in Kauai, and are hoping for suggestions for the best tour companies. The ship offers the Jungle falls and Hidden falls trips which seem cool because it's a kayaking/ waterfall swimming thing, but I feel like I could do it for half the price from another company who does pick up at the port. Any suggestions?

Also has anyone done volcanos national park via rental car as opposed to a tour? How did it work out?

Thanks!!

You've waited a little late to start your research, but check the Hawaii Board as suggested, and also Trip Advisor. Also, you can simply Google kayak tours in Kauai and they will magically appear. You can then read reviews of these companies on Trip Advisor. I don't know if you will find any which will pick you up at the pier. Your best bet is to rent a car and book an independent tour you can get to within the ships time in port. Cars in Hawaii are cheap, and the shuttles run from the port area next to the ship.

You can see a ton of things on your own, no tour needed, in your own car, including Volcanoes National Park, the Thurston Lava Tube, Rainbow Falls and more. Many people do this rather than book an expensive tour.

Hi All!

Thanks!!

Welcome to CC. We did rental car to VNP. It was very easy. Short ride on rental car shuttle to airport. Not a long ride there. Easy to do. Even stopped at Costco on the way back for mega-packs of chocolate covered macadamia nuts at reasonable price and some other gifts.

I did that excursion on the POA and we loved it.

In all honestly, we definitely could have done the kayaking part on our own, the place we picked up the boats was literally a 10 minute walk from the cruise ship.

the value was in the guide who led us through the jungle and showed us & shared stories of the movies that had filmed there and assisted with the rope swing into the water.

i don't regret doing it through the ship because it was a good experience, and my husband REALLY wanted to see/do the Indiana Jones stuff. but ya, it was a little on the $$ side.