Questions about Mediterranean Sailings

ScottsSweetie

DH and I are planning on booking a cruise on the Horizon for one of the Med Sailings. I have a few questions for those of you who may have sailed the Med before, and specifically those of you who sailed the Vista.

Do you remember when the bookings opened for the Vista - how far in advance of the first sailings?

I remember that there was a fairly decent special price for past guests when bookings first opened - anyone remember the ball park of that rate?

How easy is it to navigate the train system in Europe if we are looking to extend our trip pre- or post-cruise?

Did any of the strikes in Europe affect your cruise, and how?

I am well aware of the pros and cons of using private excursions vs. CCL excursions. Are there any things to be considered on this topic that would be specific or unique to the Med?

Does CCL have an airfare program - did you use it and were you happy with the choices (or did you not have a choice)?

Any suggestions, tips, or experiences you can share that would be beneficial are appreciated. I have already read some of the Vista Med reviews and will be re-visiting all of those to glean all the info I can.

DH and I are planning on booking a cruise on the Horizon for one of the Med Sailings. I have a few questions for those of you who may have sailed the Med before, and specifically those of you who sailed the Vista.

Do you remember when the bookings opened for the Vista - how far in advance of the first sailings? Bookings opened January 22 2015

I remember that there was a fairly decent special price for past guests when bookings first opened - anyone remember the ball park of that rate? We booked Early Saver and got some price drops and our final total on an 8C balcony/quad including prepaid gratuities was $4550

How easy is it to navigate the train system in Europe if we are looking to extend our trip pre- or post-cruise?With research and good notes, it is very easy to navigate. We used trains and local buses with no issues.

Did any of the strikes in Europe affect your cruise, and how?No

I am well aware of the pros and cons of using private excursions vs. CCL excursions. Are there any things to be considered on this topic that would be specific or unique to the Med?I would definitely use the companies that are highly recommended on the ports of call boards.They have been well-vetted by some of the most prolific cruisers.

Does CCL have an airfare program - did you use it and were you happy with the choices (or did you not have a choice)?They do have a program but we did not use it for Vista. I am definitely considering it for Horizon though. Some folks got great prices.

Any suggestions, tips, or experiences you can share that would be beneficial are appreciated. I have already read some of the Vista Med reviews and will be re-visiting all of those to glean all the info I can.The only thing I can advise is that there have been rumors that Horizon may not do the Med but Northern Europe/Baltics so be prepared for that! If there are Med sailings get a really good guidebook like Rick Steves (he has them for Med & N. Europe cruises). It is a valuable tool. Also, tons of research. Don't just rely on what you may read here or what your cousins, hairdressers, aunt has said!

We have been to Europe several times for land trips but Vista was our first cruise. It was wonderful and we can't wait to do it again on Horizon.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

Do you remember when the bookings opened for the Vista - how far in advance of the first sailings?

It was sometime in January, 2015.

I remember that there was a fairly decent special price for past guests when bookings first opened - anyone remember the ball park of that rate?

We booked Early Saver and with price drops were around $3600 for a 7C cove balcony

How easy is it to navigate the train system in Europe if we are looking to extend our trip pre- or post-cruise?

Very easy. We took the train from Venice to Trieste

Did any of the strikes in Europe affect your cruise, and how?

No. A slight inconvenience while visiting Athens but nothing more than that.

I am well aware of the pros and cons of using private excursions vs. CCL excursions. Are there any things to be considered on this topic that would be specific or unique to the Med?

We did both on the inaugural cruise and would highly recommend private excursion (see my review for reasons why). The biggest difference I noticed in the Med vs. the Carib was the need to get a full van in order to take the excursion - join your roll call, great place to fill those empty seats or to find an excursion to join!

Does CCL have an airfare program - did you use it and were you happy with the choices (or did you not have a choice)?

Did not use it but heard many on our roll call that did and they were happy with it.

Any suggestions, tips, or experiences you can share that would be beneficial are appreciated. I have already read some of the Vista Med reviews and will be re-visiting all of those to glean all the info I can.

My biggest tip is research, research and research and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

We were on the Vista for last Med and TA. JH stated that bookings for Horizon should open early December. There were also some hints dropped that Horizon might be doing the Baltic rather than Med. Some other threads have mentioned this.

We booked Vista on first day the bookings opened. Platinum guests received $200 OBC and Diamond $250 OBC for booking early - within 60 days of booking opening if I remember correctly. We were happy that we booked on first day, since price of TA cruise had more than doubled 2 or 3 days after bookings opened.

We used Carnival's flexible Fly2Fun airfare and also had them book our hotel in Athens. We were happy with the rate for airfare. This also worked out well when our flight from JFK to Athens was canceled due to an air traffic controller strike in Greece. Carnival's travel department was able to rebook us on a different flight and we arrived in Athens on the same day, just late afternoon instead of mid-morning as originally scheduled. Several others were delayed by up to 2 days because of the strike, which really didn't happen, but was called off minutes before deadline causing many flights to be cancelled. I heard that about 200 persons missed boarding in Athens due to the strike.

While I had to cancel my Vista, we were booked for the last Med and TA. The information posted above is correct. I would like to add if you plan on booking, do book as soon as they open. The price climbed steadily. The information from my friends report that Carnival will announce the itinerary in December but not open the bookings until later. Not saying TomCruise48 isn't correct in their comment that booking will start in December. It would not be the first time that conflicting information has been released from Carnival powers.

While I had to cancel my Vista, we were booked for the last Med and TA. The information posted above is correct. I would like to add if you plan on booking, do book as soon as they open. The price climbed steadily. The information from my friends report that Carnival will announce the itinerary in December but not open the bookings until later. Not saying TomCruise48 isn't correct in their comment that booking will start in December. It would not be the first time that conflicting information has been released from Carnival powers.

We attended JH's Q&A on the TA. He was asked when bookings would open for the Horizon and replied that we should expect them in early December. JH has given timeline information in the past that was premature. The Beards in Miami may have changed their mind.

There were people who missed the inaugural sailing. Not sure whether it was due to train travel or their flights (I believe Lufthansa had a short strike just before we sailed). We saw people waiting in Croatia to board.

I suggest reading some of the early Vista reviews for ideas if you haven't already done so.

We flew to Venice on Thursday night (arrived Friday morning), stayed there until Saturday evening, then took the train to Trieste, toured Slovenia on Sunday, toured Trieste area on Monday morning, and boarded in the afternoon. Flew home directly from Barcelona.

I won't do the inaugural again. That "new ship smell" really, really irritated my allergies; the fumes were pretty bad, at least in our area (Family Harbor), but I may do the last Med/TA B2B. Vista was my Milestone sailing and I'm "saving" my OBC for something that costs more than what I typically pay to cruise. We had 4 women in that Deluxe OV cabin and it still was fairly expensive. Not sure I can do a solo Med. :( But I'd really like to visit Barcelona, which I didn't get to do this past May.

We were on the Vista for last Med and TA. JH stated that bookings for Horizon should open early December. There were also some hints dropped that Horizon might be doing the Baltic rather than Med. Some other threads have mentioned this.

We booked Vista on first day the bookings opened. Platinum guests received $200 OBC and Diamond $250 OBC for booking early - within 60 days of booking opening if I remember correctly. We were happy that we booked on first day, since price of TA cruise had more than doubled 2 or 3 days after bookings opened.

We used Carnival's flexible Fly2Fun airfare and also had them book our hotel in Athens. We were happy with the rate for airfare. This also worked out well when our flight from JFK to Athens was canceled due to an air traffic controller strike in Greece. Carnival's travel department was able to rebook us on a different flight and we arrived in Athens on the same day, just late afternoon instead of mid-morning as originally scheduled. Several others were delayed by up to 2 days because of the strike, which really didn't happen, but was called off minutes before deadline causing many flights to be cancelled. I heard that about 200 persons missed boarding in Athens due to the strike.

Baltic, huh? Well, that is food for thought. I really want to do the Med, and I'm not sure I can afford the Baltic on the Vista and the Med on someone else. Better ramp up my research so I can figure it out before the end of the year!

Just to prepare for either eventuality, get copies of Rick Steves' Northern Europe Cruise Ports

https://www.amazon.com/Steves-Northern-European-Cruise-Ports/dp/1631210599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479482657&sr=8-1&keywords=rick+steves%27+northern+european+cruise+ports

And Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Mediterranean-Cruise-Ports/dp/1631213814/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479482812&sr=8-2&keywords=rick+steves%27+mediterranean+cruise+ports

Rick Steves focuses on how to do it yourself. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Great tip - I love his TV shows!

We have done two Med cruises on other lines.

Trains in Europe are usually easy to navigate. It does help to do some research on the different country systems beforehand and determine how to read the timetables. We DIY most ports in Europe and use trains to get some of the locations we want to visit. (i.e Rome, Florence, etc.)

Each cruise, we have missed a port due to port or country strikes. 2013 was Athens and we switched to Dubrovnik instead.

This past summer, we missed Marseilles due to a planned national strike and stayed had a sea day instead.

We have done two Med cruises on other lines.

Trains in Europe are usually easy to navigate. It does help to do some research on the different country systems beforehand and determine how to read the timetables. We DIY most ports in Europe and use trains to get some of the locations we want to visit. (i.e Rome, Florence, etc.)

Each cruise, we have missed a port due to port or country strikes. 2013 was Athens and we switched to Dubrovnik instead.

This past summer, we missed Marseilles due to a planned national strike and stayed had a sea day instead.

I'm certainly open to other lines, especially if Horizon sails the Baltic and we decide that we can only afford one trip overseas. We have sailed both RCCL & NCL, and while I would prefer CCL I will definitely be checking all of them.

I was on the last 2 Med and TA sailings of the Vista.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on Baltic rumors. It was mentioned earlier in the year that the Horizon would start sailing in March/2018. It may be to cold to do Baltic sailings at that time, so it still may do Med, and then move to the Baltics in the summer. I believe it's also another Italy build, which would make a few Med sailings more logical.

JH did mention Dec. for itineraries and booking info, but I take everything he says with a grain of salt. However, I find watching CC for info is usually the best spot to gain info on booking.

I had some excellent private excursions booked on Vista, so once itineraries come out, I can share some info. Also, the Roll Call and Ports of Call threads will have a lot of good info.

Edited by crzndeb

I was on the last 2 Med and TA sailings of the Vista.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on Baltic rumors. It was mentioned earlier in the year that the Horizon would start sailing in March/2018. It may be to cold to do Baltic sailings at that time, so it still may do Med, and then move to the Baltics in the summer.

JH did mention Dec. for itineraries and booking info, but I take everything he says with a grain of salt. However, I find watching CC for info is usually the best spot to gain info on booking.

I had some excellent private excursions booked on Vista, so once itineraries come out, I can share some info. Also, the Roll Call and Ports of Call threads will have a lot of good info.

Yes, when I told DH about the Baltic comments coupled with sailings beginning in March, he said it would be way too cold for that area, so your 2 cents may be worth a dollar! :)

Yes, when I told DH about the Baltic comments coupled with sailings beginning in March, he said it would be way too cold for that area, so your 2 cents may be worth a dollar! :)

I've been thinking the same thing. Also, I would love to do a repo sailing between the 2 areas that hit a lot of Spain & Portugal. Of course all we can do is speculate and dream until the powers that be take mercy on us :D

I personally haven't done any train travel in Europe, but I was considering it when I did the Med on the Vista. I found this site that gives you a nice breakdown of what to do:

http://www.seat61.com/

(and if CC eats the link, search for "the man in seat 61")