Dawn cruisers.... How was Harvest Caye ?

jolgro

We didn't hide anything. We stopped at the Atrium and got 3 Rebels in glasses with little ice, went to the room and poured them into the tumbler removing more of the ice as we transferred it. On our way back down, we stopped again and grabbed 2 more and told them "in plastic cups please" and walked off with those 2 in our hands and the Tervis tumbler in my other hand. As long as it's not in a glass or a NCL reusable cup (champagne glass for instance) there should be no problem.

Thank you for the tip!! I'm not sure we would have thought about doing that. We are looking forward to visiting the Island in April:).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Small water bottle or sofa was 3.00 alcohol was from 8-12.00

in all, it'll be a relaxing stop for cruisers.

Did you see many people buying the $3 sofas? Are they more comfortable than the free loungers? Guessing for $3 you only rent the sofas, cannot take them back on the ship.

We didn't hide anything. We stopped at the Atrium and got 3 Rebels in glasses with little ice, went to the room and poured them into the tumbler removing more of the ice as we transferred it. On our way back down, we stopped again and grabbed 2 more and told them "in plastic cups please" and walked off with those 2 in our hands and the Tervis tumbler in my other hand. As long as it's not in a glass or a NCL reusable cup (champagne glass for instance) there should be no problem.

Thanks for this idea!!! I never would have thought to do this! Our port day in HC (in March) is a full day so I can totally see us going back to the ship for lunch/beverages and bringing our tumblers back to the Island. I hope the locals who own the restaurants/bars don't complain and NCL is forced to stop this.

Island is beautiful, but as has been said, it was not quite ready.

Most people I talked to were disappointed. As was said, nothing is free except basic lounge chairs. Want a umbrella , pay for it, I think they may even charge for chairs under trees! Water is great and pool is great, but that seems to be the only attraction.

As you see from most pictures the place seems empty and almost deserted. Many of the shops were not yet open, and their buildings lacked basic signage. Not quite sure why they need a storefront for a real estate office.

The nature center is free to walk through. a buttlerfly enclosure and a few animals in cages. Boa constrictors behind a glass enclosure. I actually enjoyed walking through the nature center.

I did not enjoy not being able to use the UBP or not to have a BBQ lunch provided, as on other private islands.....This is a private port, not the typical private beach island.

I am betting this will be rethought shortly, as it was a shame to see everyone head back to the ship. The trolleys could not keep up, and people were upset and trying to flag them down before they got to the designated places.

As was said, zip line closed, a couple of times before shutting down completely...not sure how many actually got to try it. Some bars had problems swiping cards.

When the Cruise director asked at the evening show how they people likes it, he was met with mostly silence. No overall applause.

The island is beautiful, and will be even more so after the newly planted plants grow some.

Again this is not the traditional private Island, but is a private port. Those taking excursions, may have enjoyed them, but then they were taken off island for that experience.

Trying hard not to be too negative. We were lucky in that it was partly cloudy, but when the sun was out the heat was most unbearable. They do have strategically placed misters around, and they are necessary.

Hi Angelo R! It was nice meeting you onboard..

Thanks to my sister we were forced to rent one of those 4 person cabanas that someone mentioned:D She had broken her foot on Tuesday & couldn't walk any distance so this turned out to be the only way for her to enjoy Harvest Caye. When you rent a cabana they have a 6 person golf cart that takes you right to the door. It's pricey ($499) but we split it between the 4 of us and we did have a $600 OBC.

It is truly an amazing experience. A private butler, waiter & driver! The cabana itself has an air conditioned indoor area with fridge, a beachfront deck with four very comfy loungers, beachside chairs with umbrellas & that area of the beach is just for the cabanas (they have security posted & the private beach is roped off).

Free wifi, fridge was stocked with cold water. Platter of fruit and cheese plate were complimentary.

The service was impeccable! I just wish we could have been there for more than 1/2 day but we got off early & that helped.

We knew before we got to the Island that UBC & UBP don't work there so weren't surprised to have to pay for drinks & food. IMHO I thought the prices were quite reasonable; $4 for a beer $6 for mixed drinks. We didn't have any of the food besides the fruit & cheese so I can't comment on prices or quality. But I can tell you that I had the best Pina Coladas that I've ever had! And not just one:-)

Anyway, we had a blast .. the whole place is beautiful & clean and the Belizeans are wonderful, friendly people. As it was explained to us; Harvest Caye is a joint venture between NCL & Belize and they view it as a resort destination exclusive to NCL but still being partnered with Belize. I think without that agreement in place Harvest Caye would not exist.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

Cheers,

Sandy

It is truly an amazing experience. A private butler, waiter & driver! The cabana itself has an air conditioned indoor area with fridge, a beachfront deck with four very comfy loungers, beachside chairs with umbrellas & that area of the beach is just for the cabanas (they have security posted & the private beach is roped off).

Free wifi, fridge was stocked with cold water. Platter of fruit and cheese plate were complimentary.

Did everyone in a cabana get the golf cart treatment? Did they also offer the carts to get you back to the pier?

We have a cabana booked and the distance to the pier is something I'm a bit curious about. While we plan on exploring the island, my husband sometimes has trouble walking long distances. I have been a little worried that this trek might be a bit too much for him, especially if it is warm out that day. Having a ride back to the pier might also help so we don't have to pack up as early at the end of the day.

And good to know about the fruit, cheese and water. I was hoping we were going to at least get something along those lines included in the price of the villa.

Did everyone in a cabana get the golf cart treatment? Did they also offer the carts to get you back to the pier?

We have a cabana booked and the distance to the pier is something I'm a bit curious about. While we plan on exploring the island, my husband sometimes has trouble walking long distances. I have been a little worried that this trek might be a bit too much for him, especially if it is warm out that day. Having a ride back to the pier might also help so we don't have to pack up as early at the end of the day.

And good to know about the fruit, cheese and water. I was hoping we were going to at least get something along those lines included in the price of the villa.

The golf carts coming from the ship to the main entrance to Harvest Caye let you off quite close to the information building (about a 1-2 minute walk) and that's where you catch the golf cart to the Cabana. The distance from the ship to the entrance is quite long & there were a lot of people taking the transport. Your Cabana butler will get the golf cart to take you back whenever you are ready.

You will love it!

Cheers,

Sandy

The golf carts coming from the ship to the main entrance to Harvest Caye let you off quite close to the information building (about a 1-2 minute walk) and that's where you catch the golf cart to the Cabana. The distance from the ship to the entrance is quite long & there were a lot of people taking the transport. Your Cabana butler will get the golf cart to take you back whenever you are ready.

You will love it!

Cheers,

Sandy

Thank you so much for this confirmation! I'm really looking forward to this day with the access to shade, comfy chairs, a/c if we need it and a private bathroom!

As I said above, the walk is about 500-700 feet, and there are 2 or 3 golf carts that can seat 8, although they looked to be mainly used by older folks and those with canes/walkers. If there is room though you can jump on.

I installed Google Earth and did some global distance checking. I was a little off on my walk estimate from the ship to the Harvest Caye gate. Walking distance from the ship to the end of the dock is between 2½-3½ football fields (800-1100 feet). Since GE does not have a completed picture of the island and dock, I can't bee 100% accurate. Maybe someone going in the near future with a pedometer or a fitbit can get an estimated steps from ship to shore. From entry to Villas (end of the boardwalk), it is about 3,000-3,500 feet (3/4 mile).

However, in comparison, the north dock in Cozumel from ship to escalator/tour meet point is 1,450 feet, then they make you walk through all the shops which is another 1000-1200 feet before you can get a taxi or walk the town markets. So about 2500-2650 feet (~ ½ mile). They do have the locals with bikes that work for tips taking you from the ship to keycard entry/exit.

In Costa Maya, the dock is 2,150 feet to the welcoming dancers. This is the dock that is very open and has the red "Do Not Cross Red Line" on both sides. There is a 50 passenger trolley that goes back and forth on the main strip you can wait for. When they drop you off, it's another 1,300 feet through the shops to the opening of the taxis and tour meet point. If you have to continue out the port to get a "local" taxi ($2/pp to Tropicante), add another 550 feet – That’s 4,000 feet of walking for Costa Maya!

Thanks to my sister we were forced to rent one of those 4 person cabanas that someone mentioned:D She had broken her foot on Tuesday & couldn't walk any distance so this turned out to be the only way for her to enjoy Harvest Caye.

Hi Sandy. Thanks for organizing the M&M. Coren and I had fun and as always met some very nice people which got the cruise going on a high note. I try to be more friendly on the ship as we have to pass around the ship for 7 days. I don't eavesdrop, but can tell when someone is lost or directionally confused and ask what they are looking for. I usually know the ship layout before boarding. I hope people don't think it's rude.

Sorry to hear about your sister. I wondered why we really didn't see you around the ship like some of the others. I'm sure it limited some of the things you could do, but the Villa sounds quite spectacular. Glad you enjoyed it. Did you actually have Wifi? I heard they had not got it working in the public areas yet. We will go back in April and hopefully all will be done on the island.

I was on the Jade on 11/13-11/20 and have posted my
to YouTube. I posted some additional information and common questions I heard on/off the ship in the description as well. I posted a map of the island in this thread as well.

I'm sorry to hear that dem1958 had a bad time. I guess every port is what you make of it and what you want out of it. They announced several times on the Jade that Harvest Caye was not 100% and there would probably be some snafu's. I don't know any theme park that ever opened without any. One disappointment we had was that there was no free drinks with UBP or free buffet (the island employs the local Belizians and they do have to get paid somehow), but the walk (or golf cart ride) back to the ship isn't too bad to hit the Atrium on Deck 7 and get a few drinks. It does take away time from the island... which is the other issue we had on the Jade docking from only 7am-1pm (on board at 12:30pm) which made it a short(er) port day. NCL knows the distance back to Tampa and just somehow couldn't coordinate the itinerary to make Harvest Caye it's premier port on the cruise (at least for the first year) and put it somewhere in the middle (or first) to make it a full day. As far as electricity, we had no issues where we were at, and all stores we went into had it. So it must have just been one area or spotty as construction crews worked on fixing any immediate issues.

Other than these 2 issues, we had a wonderful day walking around (I took over 100 pictures for the slideshow), exploring the island, hanging in the pool, and enjoying the beach with some new friends. We will be returning in April so we weren't in "OMG we have to do everything NOW" mode. Also, there were 3 other stops before Harvest Caye, so we already had our fill of snorkeling (Cozumel and Costa Maya), ziplining (Roatan), and other activities the island offered. It was nice to just relax on the last port day. About 10:30 we decided to go back to the ship, grab our 32oz tumbler, and fill that up with 3 Rebellious Fish drinks, then get 2 more to carry in hand back to the island. We returned about 11:15 and got back in the pool having enough drinks that made the next hour and 15 minutes more fun. If you plan ahead, bring a tumbler and fill it up with drinks (no or little ice) and take it with you - then later get some cups with ice from the bar and pour your own drinks! Saved us about $40 right there!

We are looking forward to returning in April after the Jade is out of Dry Dock!

Thanks for sending me that link earlier today to your slide show, I loved it :)

Margaret

It is a bummer that the UBP is not honored but $4 & $5 for beer and wine is not too bad. Are the prices at the swim up bars the same as the other bars?

Yes, essentially all the drink menus are the same, with different twists to the names based on the bar you're at (like the Manatee Cooler at the Manatee Bar). All the prices are the same for the same type of drink.

Thanks for sending me that link earlier today to your slide show, I loved it :)

Margaret

Hey Margaret! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the information in chat. Guess my 100 posts are harder to find than your 19,000! :p

Have a great day!

Hi Sandy. Thanks for organizing the M&M. Coren and I had fun and as always met some very nice people which got the cruise going on a high note. I try to be more friendly on the ship as we have to pass around the ship for 7 days. I don't eavesdrop, but can tell when someone is lost or directionally confused and ask what they are looking for. I usually know the ship layout before boarding. I hope people don't think it's rude.

Sorry to hear about your sister. I wondered why we really didn't see you around the ship like some of the others. I'm sure it limited some of the things you could do, but the Villa sounds quite spectacular. Glad you enjoyed it. Did you actually have Wifi? I heard they had not got it working in the public areas yet. We will go back in April and hopefully all will be done on the island.

Hi again. I didn't organize the M&G and I'm not really sure who did? I'm surprised you didn't see us around the ship..we were still out and having fun. One of us in a wheelchair didn't stop us:-) We were actually thinking that wheelchair bowling could be a new event. Like when you're coming down a really long ramp and people just won't move aside...I found that announcing 'wheel chair' bowling got their attention.

And I cannot imagine anyone thinking you are rude...probably exactly the opposite. And yes we did have wifi in the Cabanas

Cheers,

Sandy

Edited by Samstress

Thank you so much for this confirmation! I'm really looking forward to this day with the access to shade, comfy chairs, a/c if we need it and a private bathroom!

And a wonderful shower stall! Are you there for a full day? If so..I really do envy you.

I also should mention that you can watch the zip lining from your cabana...lots of entertainment..

Cheers

Sandy

Edited by Samstress

Sandy,

Did you tip your waiter and butler? Do you mind if I ask how much?

So if we have more than six people, there's really no way to smuggle them into the cabana?

Thanks for your report!

~ Nancy : )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You could certainly ask about putting six people in the Cabana. Maybe there would be an up charge. There is definitely lots of room!

We tipped our Butler $60. Which was $15 each. It had nothing to do with our bill (which was $113). It had more to do with her service.

Sandy

Can you swim in the pool, go on the beach, swim in the ocean and use the loungers free of charge? Also, if you have the Ultimate Beverage Plan, do you still have to pay for drinks on the resort?

The pool is beautiful and you can swim in the ocean. The loungers are free but you pay for the clamshell covers (20.00). I'm pretty sure that you have to pay for drinks

And a wonderful shower stall! Are you there for a full day? If so..I really do envy you.

I also should mention that you can watch the zip lining from your cabana...lots of entertainment..

Cheers

Sandy

Right now we're scheduled to be there from 8:00 until 5:00 and I hope that stands. The itinerary on the Getaway has been changing a lot and that includes shortening our day at Harvest Caye if it happens.

Are the butlers from the ship or employees from the ship or local?

One in our group is interested in the zip lining, so that will be fun to watch.