Dawn cruisers.... How was Harvest Caye ?

jolgro

So curious if the first Harvest Caye visitors had a great day today.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HC was very nice. A few comments and then fire away with questions.

1) The pier is VERY long. There is a shuttle but it may or may not be at the gang plank when you get off of the ship. There was no one at the gang plank (and no signage) letting us know that a shuttle was available at all which left a lot of passengers who could have really benefited from a shuttle, walking the entire pier. By the time we all returned to the ship things were ironed out and the shuttles were organized. Chalk it up to opening day jitters.

2) There are a HUGE number of recliners on the beach. You WILL NOT have a problem at all finding a place to enjoy the sun. Most recliners have a beach umbrella as well. No need to rush off of the ship to ensure you get a recliner.

3) The cabana are nice. It is a LONG walk to the private $475 cabanas. The poolside cabanas looked nice as well. Along with these two options, there are a LOT of clam shells on the beach, each housing two recliners. They are available for $30 each. They will NOT sell out usually. You are allowed to switch out people in them so your group of more than two can rent a single clam shell and take turns.

4) Your cabin card is valid for almost all purchases. A couple of the smaller local vendors only take cash (one was selling bottled sodas and water and I am guessing the hair braid shack also took cash only).

5) The pool was nice but a little on the chilly side. The see water was warmer, however it was cloudy and did not make for very good snorkeling.

6) Paddle boards, kayaks, and small power boats were available to rent. I only checked on the power boat price ($45 for an hour - two people - you can take turns with a group of more than two).

Overall a nice stop. Really enjoyed it a lot!

There is transportation included in the price of the Beach Cabanas. it leaves from the information desk. We paid $499 for the cabana...we had originally booked a Pool Cabana but it allows only 2 people & we were 4. We could charge the Cabana to our ship board account; but all other food & drinks had to be paid in either cash or credit card.

Sandy

The pool cabanas had seating for 4 plus a couch of sorts. I have no idea why they were supposedly limiting that to two people.

Very strange. We are a group of three and I had originally planned on getting a pool cabana. Once they limited it to two people, getting the beach cabana made more sense -- especially considering the price of the pool cabana.

The beach cabanas were originally advertised for 10 people, but that dropped to six once they were open for booking.

I'll be curious to see if any of this changes once things settle a bit more.

The pool cabanas had seating for 4 plus a couch of sorts. I have no idea why they were supposedly limiting that to two people.

I have no idea either. We didn't research any of them because we hadn't planned on renting one. My sister broke her foot on the 3rd day of our cruise & had limited mobility. When we arrived at the Island I went to check out what would work for her. I originally booked a pool cabana, but when we went to register for it they asked for the names of people & cabin numbers of those occupying it. It was then that we were told that only 2 people could use it.

So we decided to just rent the beach cabana. At this point I was just looking for an easy out.

I had to laugh though. My daughter overheard two ladies checking into their beach cabana who thought it was $4.99, not $499.00. They cancelled:D

So if we have more than six people, there's really no way to smuggle them into the cabana?

I was wondering this myself. I rented a cabana for my group of 10. Not at all trying to abuse it, but a few years ago, we rented a cabana at Half Moon Cay (Carnival) and I also had a large group then, but some of us went off and did some excursions while some stayed back and were in the water. The cabana was more of the meeting/chill spot and a place to drop our bags when we went in the water. I'm curious if there is an up charge. I think it would be a waste to get 2 cabanas, cause we typically don't hang out IN the cabana, but mostly outside of it. I'm just assuming only 6 people will get the golf cart ride...

You could certainly ask about putting six people in the Cabana. Maybe there would be an up charge. There is definitely lots of room!

We tipped our Butler $60. Which was $15 each. It had nothing to do with our bill (which was $113). It had more to do with her service.

Sandy

We are a family of 6 and the Cabana I booked is for 6. I certainly hope they have not changed the plan.

The Cabana we had would easily fit 6 people. I guess because we were only 4 people & it was a last minute thing my only concern was getting something for the 4 of us.

I would rely on your research not my lack of! You will love the Beach Cabanas ...they are wonderful.

Cheers,

Sandy

Just got off the Dawn on Sunday, November 20,2016. Regarding Harvest Caye. My DH and I thought it was just beautiful. There were some technical problems with the pool bar cash register not working so we had to wait a good while for drinks.after about 2 hour wait, finally got 2 cocktails for $24,98. We thought that was kind of pricey. The shops we went in did not have prices tagged on merchandise so you had to ask price. Items were very expensive. We did find it strange that only a few cabanas were rented, the majority by the pool were unoccupied. We loved walking around and watched the zipliners, paddle boarders,etc. The Island is very lush and tropical. You could tell that NCL spared no expense to make this a beautiful port and the staff was very welcoming and let us know how happy they were to have us there. It rained for about an hour and a half when we first arrived, The skies cleared and we spent the remainder of out time enjoying the great pool. I would say that we really enjoyed our time at Harvest Caye and can't wait to return. BTW, the covered pier from ship to shore was a very long walk. If you are mobility impaired, they do shuttle you back and forth.