Solo on NCL Escape - studio or balcony?

rootswings

I'm thinking of booking a cruise on the Escape. I'd be traveling solo. This will be my 2d cruise. For my first cruise, I had a balcony cabin (Celebrity, aft); I really enjoyed having a balcony.

Since I'll be traveling solo (and am single), I thought I might check out a studio room, mostly for the benefit of mingling with other solo travelers, but I'm undecided because I think I might prefer a balcony room. (The rates I'm seeing have the studio and balcony rooms similarly priced).

So - for a single, solo traveler, who likes a balcony - which would be the better option for a 7 day cruise - studio or balcony? I would like to hear from anyone, and particularly those who have stayed in a studio room.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise on the Escape. I'd be traveling solo. This will be my 2d cruise. For my first cruise, I had a balcony cabin (Celebrity, aft); I really enjoyed having a balcony.

Since I'll be traveling solo (and am single), I thought I might check out a studio room, mostly for the benefit of mingling with other solo travelers, but I'm undecided because I think I might prefer a balcony room. (The rates I'm seeing have the studio and balcony rooms similarly priced).

So - for a single, solo traveler, who likes a balcony - which would be the better option for a 7 day cruise - studio or balcony? I would like to hear from anyone, and particularly those who have stayed in a studio room.

You can have the best of both worlds there. If you are a solo traveler staying in a balcony you will be able to go to the Happy Hour solo gathering in the Studio Lounge. That way you will be able to meet other solo's to dine with, go to shows, etc if you so wish.

You can have the best of both worlds there. If you are a solo traveler staying in a balcony you will be able to go to the Happy Hour solo gathering in the Studio Lounge. That way you will be able to meet other solo's to dine with, go to shows, etc if you so wish.

I don't think ANY of those gatherings are held in the studio lounge on Norwegian Escape.

At least not on either of my sailings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think ANY of those gatherings are held in the studio lounge on Norwegian Escape.

At least not on either of my sailings.

I think you're right Don, I was thinking Epic. Regardless, solo balcony folks will be able to still attend the solo functions wherever they may be held.

. . .

I've done both balcony and studio on Norwegian Escape.

I doubt I'd repeat the studio experience on this ship.

I haven't sailed on the Escape but have sailed on the Epic in a studio. If the prices are close, I wouldn't hesitate to book a balcony. As others have said, you can go to the solo gathering if you want to meet other solos. I loved my studio on the Epic and enjoyed access to the lounge for a quiet start to my day with a cappuccino, but I'd have traded it for a reasonably-priced balcony in a heart beat!

I haven't sailed on the Escape but have sailed on the Epic in a studio. If the prices are close, I wouldn't hesitate to book a balcony. As others have said, you can go to the solo gathering if you want to meet other solos. I loved my studio on the Epic and enjoyed access to the lounge for a quiet start to my day with a cappuccino, but I'd have traded it for a reasonably-priced balcony in a heart beat!

This is good to know, thanks.

The feedback is helping me with my decision making. Now, I've just got to convince myself to book the cruise! ;)

On Escape last October. Balcony cabin is my recommendation!! The solo group Meet the first day ( look for info in the freestyle) and they'll explain time allowed in the Studio Lounge, meeting places, activities , dinner, Etc. The solo group Leader is excellent. Nothing compare to the ocean view on your balcony every morning. I think that her name is Aldene. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed in both a studio and in balconies. Studios usually serve the purpose of being a slightly lower cost way for a solo traveler to cruise. If similarly priced or price is not an issue, I would sail in a balcony ALWAYS over a studio.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

So, from what I can gather the benefit of the studio is access to the studio lounge - is that right?

That's one benefit. I find they're quieter than other areas of the ship and the biggest benefit is price (though that's not a given--like in your situation where they're so close in price to a balcony. When I sailed on the Epic, it would have cost more than $1,000 more to sail in a balcony than a studio).

I have before travelling solo gotten guest services to program my keycard for the studio lounge since was solo.

They don't always do this. I've read a few reports of people being able to get this done, but more reports that they weren't able to.

yes, in most instances I have noticed a significant price differential between the studio and balcony - I have to double check on the price difference ... it may be that I was looking a pp costs ... that would be a consideration. thanks all for your thoughts.

Definitely the balcony. I know I wouldn't want an inside if I were sailing by myself, and you already said you enjoy it, so go for it!!! I haven't had a studio, but my brother did. It was fine for him because we were all traveling together, and he was only in it to sleep and shower.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I traveled solo in a balcony on the Escape in May. The 1st night's solo gathering was somewhere else on the ship. The coordinator met us there and then took the group to the studio lounge where we met every night thereafter. She said the studio lounge door would be open each night during the get together, and it was. Had such a great time on that cruise, I booked a balcony again for next May.

I've cruised solo in studio's and balconies. I have no complaints with the studio cabins, I just love to spend time out on the balcony. On cruises where I stayed in studio cabins, the only time I went to the lounge was for the nightly solo gathering.

If the price is right, I'd book the balcony.

Hi, you have already got some good advice here. Definitely book the balcony if it is a similar price but make sure to go to the first solo meeting and you will meet lots of people.

The studios are great though if you do decide to book one. The only problem I found was I could never tell how early it was when I woke up as I was inside. Plus it took me 2 days to figure out how to switch off the lights but I blame the ubp for that [emoji6]

Seeing you are travelling solo I would really recommend getting a pass for Vibe for the week. It's a private area on deck 19 for adults only. The bar staff are excellent and you will make friends with other guests and really enjoy your week. You will have the best of both worlds if you go to the solo meetings too.

Definitely the balcony!!! Just off the Epic and sailed in a Balcony solo. Was able to get my key card coded for the Studio Lounge so I could go in any time. Regardless though, as others have said, you can go to the nightly solo get togethers regardless of the type of room you have!

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. It's very helpful.

This trip will be a bit of a splurge for me -- but I can't decide how much of a splurge. Part of me is thinking if you can afford it, go for it, while another, more frugal side of me is thinking that if I don't max my budget out on the cabin, I'll have more to spend on other things ...

I'm not sure if my philosophy will be spend within a budget, but it's ok to max it out -- OR stay within budget but minimize expenses (because even if I can afford it, I like a good deal). Sorry for the tedious budget talk -- on the other hand, I think I've made the decision to book it -- so that's some positive progress!! :rolleyes:

When selecting a cabin category it always helps me to break it down to a cost per day basis. Example, on breakaway it was worth $20 pp a day for us to upgrade to a b6 with a lounger on the balcony because that's importAnt to me. On getaway the daily breakdown was too high of a cost for me to justify not taking a guarantee and rolling the dice. Pricing is always so variable it's hard to give a specific recommendation. What is the exact cost difference on your sailing? If you break that cost down to daily charge that may help you decide. Everyone has personal considerations. What is important to me might not be important to someone else. Some might prefer to spend their budget on experiences, others on accommodations. Good luck, let us know :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed solo on NCL at least 8 or 9 times, multiple times on Getaway, Breakaway and Epic and once on Escape. Some of what I am saying is a recap of what other have said.

1) Make sure you are looking at total cost of balcony and not per person

2) Is it a guarantee balcony without the perks

3) of the 4 ships with a Studio Lounge, Escapes Studio lounge is my least favorite, so extra time you get there with the studios isn't as nice as the others.

4) if the cost and perks are the same, go with the balcony

5) the studios are quiet and have a lot more storage space than you would think and are dark so easy to sleep

Seeing you are travelling solo I would really recommend getting a pass for Vibe for the week. It's a private area on deck 19 for adults only. The bar staff are excellent and you will make friends with other guests and really enjoy your week. You will have the best of both worlds if you go to the solo meetings too.

Johnsr420, thanks for the advice about the Vibe pass. I am hoping to be able to get one; sounds like a very good option. (Although I have to say, it's the addition of these various extra expenses that causes me to consider a less expensive cabin. Not complaining, though ... glad to be able to cruise!).

I have sailed solo on NCL at least 8 or 9 times, multiple times on Getaway, Breakaway and Epic and once on Escape. Some of what I am saying is a recap of what other have said.

1) Make sure you are looking at total cost of balcony and not per person

2) Is it a guarantee balcony without the perks

3) of the 4 ships with a Studio Lounge, Escapes Studio lounge is my least favorite, so extra time you get there with the studios isn't as nice as the others. ...

Langham1865, thanks for your thoughts. I now have better information: the costs I am comparing are for the various cabins, including the single supplement (i.e., not pp costs); comparing cost of different cabins in the guaranteed category (no perks).

The difference between an inside and balcony is about 200 for the 7 days (so about $28 / day); balcony is about $120 more than an OV. The balcony seems like a good deal; there is some risk with the guaranteed category instead of choosing; the cost difference between a selected cabin with perks and the guaranteed balcony category is $400-500.

I've been stuck in indecision, but reminding myself that any of them would be a nice option. The questions to my mind seem to be: 1) how much overall am I willing / able to spend on the trip, and 2) how to allocate those expenses (cabin, other expenses, excursions, etc.). This trip was not a planned expense, and I'm generally resistant to justifying a splurge on myself, so I'm balancing those factors, as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.