Chengkp75 and others: The world's fist cruise ship?

Who was she and what happened to her?

Yes, a bit of trivia here.

She was NOT a transatlantic ocean liner converted to a cruise ship, nor was she a Mississippi river boat (not a ship to begin with). She was purpose-built to cruise the world, and she did for some 40 years, and had a long life afterwards.

Chengkp75, Wikipedia got it wrong, but my original post on this several weeks ago was sent to another forum, where it got lost. Thus, I re-post here.

Ok, folks, have at it! :D

I'll stand by my answer of the Prinzessin Victoria Luise of the Hamburg-Amerika line. Launched in 1900, she went aground off Port Royal, Jamaica on 16 December, 1906.

Far more sources than Wiki credit the Victoria Luise as being the first purpose built cruise ship. Even the American Marine Engineer article cited by Wiki (from Jan 1907), states the Victoria Luise as "a sort of seeing-the-West-Indies tourist ship" and "she was designed and built as a cruising yacht", and "she was utilized in the excursion business entirely". What I would call descriptions of a cruise ship from a time when there weren't any cruise ships.

But I'd be interested in hearing your answer.

Hi chief, happy holidays, and I hope all is well.

Well, I'll cede this one to you. I was thinking or the Stella Polaris (1927) of Sweden's Bergen line. Oh well.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/cruise-history-the-clipper-lines-mv-stella-polaris-completed-in-1927-was-the-first-custom-built-cruise-ship-she-was-considered-the-royal-yacht-of-cruising-and-was-one-of-the-most-deluxe-f/

Edited by loubetti

Hi chief, happy holidays, and I hope all is well.

Well, I'll cede this one to you. I was thinking or the Stella Polaris (1927) of Sweden's Bergen line. Oh well.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/cruise-history-the-clipper-lines-mv-stella-polaris-completed-in-1927-was-the-first-custom-built-cruise-ship-she-was-considered-the-royal-yacht-of-cruising-and-was-one-of-the-most-deluxe-f/

Hi, Lou. Hope your Thanksgiving was better than mine, spent discharging 78,000 barrels of gasoline in Savannah and up all night bunkering. But enough about me.

Interesting find. I've looked at a few sites, including "wrecksite", a european site, and they all say that the Polaris was one of the first cruise ships, and one of the first purpose built.

Hi, Lou. Hope your Thanksgiving was better than mine, spent discharging 78,000 barrels of gasoline in Savannah and up all night bunkering. But enough about me.

Interesting find. I've looked at a few sites, including "wrecksite", a european site, and they all say that the Polaris was one of the first cruise ships, and one of the first purpose built.

Yes, chief, "one" of. I totally forgot "Luise", but not Albert Ballin, but Stella sailed for decades and is worthy of mention none the less. As my brain gets full of stuff, some gets put in file cabinets that I cannot find!

Ya' gotta get back on the cruise ships! Oops, you're American- not so easy.

Stay well, my good man! :)

Yes, chief, "one" of. I totally forgot "Luise", but not Albert Ballin, but Stella sailed for decades and is worthy of mention none the less. As my brain gets full of stuff, some gets put in file cabinets that I cannot find!

Ya' gotta get back on the cruise ships! Oops, you're American- not so easy.

Stay well, my good man! :)

Polaris is indeed a classic of cruise vessels.

Easy enough to get back on cruise ships, if I want to take a pay cut! :eek: Just eaking out the last few years to retirement.