San Juan airport question

must2cruz

We will be cruising out of San Juan Feb 2017. Before we fly back out of San Juan will we go through customs at the port or airport? My guess is we will do it as we get off of the ship. As we have in NOLA, Port Everglades etc...When we arrive in the contiguous States from San Juan will we go through customs? Realizing Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. We booked our flights early and they keep moving the connecting flight time, cutting it too close time wise. When returning after the cruise our goal/hope is to check one bag with the airline through to our final destination. Thanks in advance for your help. :cool:

You will go through customs and immigration at the port. Once you get to the airport, you go through a Department of Agriculture checkpoint and TSA. Otherwise (except that you can buy duty free in San Juan before your flight to the mainland), it is just like any other domestic flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You do go through customs at port after disembarking. It is usually very backed up with a long slow line. If you want to get out faster, grab a porter and tip well. They have a separate line and will get a taxi for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Off the ship

FYI - when you fly out of SJU, your bags will have to go thru an Agricultural Inspection but that should only take an extra 5-10 minutes

That short time is only if you get there before the rest of your ship. I can remember only two inspection machines in the main terminal (for all but JetBlue). I cannot say how many machines are in the JetBlue terminal. I have seen it get backed up more than 10 minutes. AND, be sure you do THIS before you get in the check-in or baggage check line!!! You don't want to stand in one line and find out you have to do Ag Check and get back in line again!!!