Explorer of the Seas - Review - South Pacific - Nov

Dream Cove Sail & Snorkel Adventure (cont..)

We were collected by 2 vans at the Vila dock. Semi-airconditioned and with seat belts. Informed it will be a 20 min ride to the pier where the Cariad was docked. Cariad is a 1960s motor sailing yacht. Boarded the Cariad and we were introduced to the crew, given chilled water and a safety demonstration. Motored to Dream Cove. I thought a Cove was sheltered but this spot was not.

Given the option to jump into deep water from the Caraid to begin snorkelling or be taken to shore in a dinghy and snorkel from the shallows. I took the jump in option. Crew members in several dinghies cruised the perimiter of the area we were snorkelling in to keep a close eye on us. Plenty of fish as the crew supplied bread. Due to the current, I had drifted and soon had a dinghy pull up beside me and a crew member instructed me to swim over to the more central area. We were given 1-1 1/2 hours to snorkel which was perfect.

Raisin toast, biscuits and tea/coffee were served on the way back to the pier.

I really enjoyed this tour.

Dream Cove Sail & Snorkel Adventure (cont..)

We were collected by 2 vans at the Vila dock. Semi-airconditioned and with seat belts. Informed it will be a 20 min ride to the pier where the Cariad was docked. Cariad is a 1960s motor sailing yacht. Boarded the Cariad and we were introduced to the crew, given chilled water and a safety demonstration. Motored to Dream Cove. I thought a Cove was sheltered but this spot was not.

Given the option to jump into deep water from the Caraid to begin snorkelling or be taken to shore in a dinghy and snorkel from the shallows. I took the jump in option. Crew members in several dinghies cruised the perimiter of the area we were snorkelling in to keep a close eye on us. Plenty of fish as the crew supplied bread. Due to the current, I had drifted and soon had a dinghy pull up beside me and a crew member instructed me to swim over to the more central area. We were given 1-1 1/2 hours to snorkel which was perfect.

Raisin toast, biscuits and tea/coffee were served on the way back to the pier.

I really enjoyed this tour.

Was there any coral at this cove.

Edited by MicCanberra

Day 6 - Mystery Island, Vanuatu

Hot & Sunny. Seas calm.

9am brekky in Windjammer very busy. Unable to find a table so asked a couple if I could share their table. They were very friendly and told me that their NYC cruise in 2012 was impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Instead of spending their B2B cruise in the Carribbean, they were re-routed and spent 4 days in Boston harbour!

Had a 15min wait for 9.30am tender to Mystery Island. On arrival at the wharf, I noticed that the RCI photographers had a nice scenic backdrop for once(rather than the usual cheesy one),so I took the opportunity and got them to take some photos of me. Then checked out the markets in the centre of the island, they were cheaper than the ones at Vila.

Hit the beach and did some snorkelling and saw lots of colourful fish. Spent a couple of hours snorkelling, then headed back on the tender to have some lunch onboard in the Windjammer. An hour later, I headed back to the island and did some snorkelling in a different area which was much deeper and saw more fish. Then walked around the island and took lots of nice photos. Caught the 3.30pm tender back to the ship, the staff member who was driving the tender had American Pie playing loudly on the sound system. Loved Mystery Island.

Was starving, so grabbed a snack from Cafe Promenade before returning to cabin. On exiting the cafe, I saw that had set up a beef rolls stall on the promenade. Should have had them instead.

There was a $10 ports of call t-shirt sale on the Promenade at 6.30pm. Very very popular. I picked a couple of t-shirts myself.

Tonights show in the Palace Theatre were movies.

6pm BFG (Big Friendly Giant)

9.00pm Captain America Civil War.

Warcraft was being shown on the pool deck.

Great reading, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading the rest. Was in the city today and snapped Explorer. Perhaps Bethers12 is in this pic somewhere :-)

5d59ffbe1343dd10e06d592e73d772e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!! Nice pic of her sizeable rear :D

Hi Folks

We were on this cruise , we had a wonderful trip , really enjoyed our suite and a few of the perks , breakfast in Chops Grill is great , booked to go again on March 4th sailing booked an owners suite deck 10 1300 (Dominica Suite)

Best regards

john

Hi Folks

We were on this cruise , we had a wonderful trip , really enjoyed our suite and a few of the perks , breakfast in Chops Grill is great , booked to go again on March 4th sailing booked an owners suite deck 10 1300 (Dominica Suite)

Best regards

john

Glad you are enjoying the cruises again.:D

Day 7 - Noumea

Woke up to an overcast and drizzly day.

Have previously done the Amedee Island Lighthouse Tour which I really enjoyed. This time I wanted to visit the Noumea Aquarium which gets a good rap here on

cruise critic.

RCI operate free shuttles from the container terminal where we docked to the Passenger Terminal in the city. As we departed the container terminal, a person in a yellow and red t-shirt hopped on the shuttle and advised us all that they were running a hoho bus from the passenger terminal and that the cost would be charged to our seapass card - $15 USD.

Very short trip to the container terminal. Lots of different tours and hoho buses available. The money exchange place was very busy. Went upstairs and looked at the market stalls. Lots of goods - prices in XPF and AUD. Went back downstairs and saw the red & yellow stand - lots of cruisers were handing over their seapasses. The details of your seapass card were handwritten on a list and you just signed next to your name.

Hoho tour was well organised. Taken outside to a modern coach. Given a map of the drop off locations -

1. morning market

2. Port Plaisance - shopping centre

3. Lemon Bay

4. Aquarium

5. Anse Vata

6. Lemon BAy

7. New Calendonia Museum/McDonalds

8. Bernheim library

Only had a 10min wait for the coach to fill and we were off. I stayed on until the Aquarium.

At the Aquarium you pay by XPF or credit card. I had bought XPF before leaving Sydney. The Aquarium was modern inside with big clean glass displays. Lots of coral and lots of colourful fish. Outside is a turtle pond - a large concrete enclosure where there are several turtles swimming around and a small pathway to a viewpoint where you can take a nice photo overlooking noumea. I found the Aquarium very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I stayed there for over an hour. There is small gift shop at the end where I bought a nice t-shirt and other souvenirs. Only a 5 min wait for the next hoho bus to come along.

The weather was still not the best and there was no-one in the water at the beach stops, so I decided to stay on the hoho bus and return to the container terminal. There was a shuttle waiting there, so I hopped on it and headed back to the ship for a late lunch.

The Legend of Tarzon was on the big screen in the afternoon and there were quite a few passengers who had returned to the ship early and were out watching it. Must say that "dark" movies are best seen as night as it is hard to see the dark jungle scenes during the daytime on the screen.

Evening show was RCI dancers & singers with Orchestra in "Wild, Cool and Swinging". I enjoyed this one. 7pm & 9pm.

After the show, I popped down to the photo booth on Deck 2 and picked up my photos from Mystery Island. Photos are $19.99 each. I am gold, so I got the 2nd photo for 1/2 price.

Day 8 - Isle of Pines

Warm but windy.

Caught an early tender. In the cruise compass, they advertised that tender tickets were being distributed outside the Promenade Cafe but in actual fact the RCI lady was seated outside the pub. So lots of confused cruisers wandering around the Promenade. Towels for use on port days were handed out from a RCI staff member located directly opposite the tender ticket lady on the promenade. Sometimes, the towels were handed out downstairs below just before you boarded the tender.

Wanted to visit Sacred Rock because I heard the snorkelling was good. Unfortunately, the grassy area near there smelt really bad and there was lots of litter lying around. Also, it was quite windy so the water was a bit rough and looked a bit polluted so gave that area a miss.

Instead walked across the main beach with lovely white sand and clear water. Joined lots of other cruisers swimming in the lovely water. At lunchtime, I headed back to the ship. Only about 10 of us on the tender and the wind had whipped up the seas so it was a very bouncy trip back to the ship. Lots of fun with everyone oohing and ahhing and laughing everytime a big wave hit the front of the tender.

After lunch, headed back on the tender. This time I walked further down the main beach and tooks lots of photos of the palm trees and the white sand and enjoyed swimming where there were less people. Just gorgeous in the water.

There were a couple of market stalls that you passed as you headed back to the tender. Prices were in AUD and XPF.

Another fun, bouncy trip back on the tender to the ship.

Once I got back to the ship, I checked my onboard account again on the tv and RCI had refunded the port fees of $14.51 USD for our cancelled Lifou port stop.

So, decided to splurge (lol!) and go to Johnny Rockets Diner for something to eat. The teens and I had enjoyed it twice on the Voyager. This time the food was awful. There is a $6.95 cover charge plus you pay for your drinks. So I paid $14.45 for a chicken meal and a bud light. The beer was fine and the "free" onion rings and chips were ok but the chicken club sandwich was not very nice at all. Wouldnt go back.

Big screen movie was Finding Dory at 6pm & 9pm. It was cool and windy on the pool deck. Lots of parents & kids trying to keep warm under their blue towels while watching the movie.

Show was Caberet Showtime featurng the RCI singers at 7pm & 9pm. They were boring and lots of people walked out. Btw, if I think I am not going to enjoy the show, I sit in the second level, so its not so obvious that I am leaving. Shows run for 45mins.

Day 9 - Sea Day

Woke up to the coathangers banging in the wardrobe. Today, we had swell.

5 metre swell.

It was fun walking down the corridor and then at brekky in the Windjammer, everyone suddenly moving to the left or moving to the right with the ships motion! Sick bags were on the stairs and lots of people walking around with sea bands on.

Today, I had booked a Pasta demo, lunch and galley tour at Giovannis - one of the speciality restaurants on board. This the 2nd time they offered it on the cruise. The first one booked out very quickly and I missed out. Cost was $20 each.

Apparently, I was supposed to get confirmation of my booking on a piece of paper in my cabin. Didnt receive it, so had to dash back up my cabin and change my sandals for a pair of closed in shoes for the gallery tour.

There was probably about 30 of us in the restaurant. Chef was out the front and did a pasta "lesson" for 30 mins. To be honest this a bit boring as he just covered lasagne and ravioli which I cook at home all the time anyway. The Chef was from Singapore but had been based in Europe under an Italian Chef so his talk the interesting part for me.

During his talk, the ship was swaying alot! After the Chef said goodbye, the wait staff brought the first of our 3 courses. On presenting entrees to several of the guests, about 4 of them promptly got up and dashed out of the restaurant apologising profusely but saying they were feeling really seasick (poor things).

Must say the most popular drink at this lunch was iced water for obvious reasons and they didnt skimp on it!

I chose scallops for entree, steak for main and tiramirsu for dessert. Delish.

Afterwards, we were taken to the MDR galley for a tour. Very interesting, especially the machine that turns the fresh dough into dinner rolls.

I was there was 11am - 1.30pm. Really enjoyed it.

Ice Spectacular

Next up for me at 2pm was the Ice Spectacular. Held in Studio B ice rink. Shows are allocated per your muster station which is listed on your seapass card.

There were two shows this day - one at 2pm and one at 4pm. In the cruise compass, they listed which show you were entitled to attend depending on your muster station number.

Doors open 30mins beforehand. If it is not "your" session to see the show, you can line up for leftover seats which are allocated 5 mins before the show starts.

We did this on the Voyager. We got in but were separated and had obstructed view seats so my suggestion is to stick with your allotted session.

Show was "Spirits of the Season". It was fabulous from start to finish. Kudos to the iceskaters for doing spins and jumps despite 5m seas!

I must add that sitting near me was a family with two young children. Their young daughter was chosen (along with another child) to be taken onto the ice on a sleigh during the show. Mum had a whiz bang camera and had been happily snapping away lots of no doubt excellent photos up until this point. (Photos are allowed but no flash and no video).

So, daughter gets taken on the ice and mum had the camera ready. And the poor little girl was absolutely terrified. The mum took one photo and then just put the camera down. The little girl did cheer up when she was safely back in mum,s arms and one of the iceskaters came up and high fived her. Must say the other child didnt look too pleased to be involved either. Such a shame because it was a lovely sequence but one can understand that being spun around on the ice by complete strangers can be scary for some young kids.

Anyway, a great show and highly recommend. Runs for about 45 mins.

Btw, at midday, the Captain made his daily announcement of our location and the weather conditions etc. He advised we could expect the motion to continue for the rest of the afternoon but would ease off a bit by evening and seas should be down to 1m tomorrow.

Movie today was inside at the Palace Theatre at 12.30pm - The Huntsman Winter War.

Movie on the pool deck was Captain America.

Whilst I was at the pasta demo, they had a World Wildlife Fund charity t-shirt and soft toy sale on the promenade. This is RCI's new majority charity that they support. Previously it was Make a Wish Foundation "Wishes at Sea".

Tonights show - 7pm & 9pm. Direct from Las Vegas - Greg Bonham. I found him very entertaining and enjoyed the majority of his songs.

Late night adult comedy at 11pm was our Cruise Director - Graham Seymour.

R rated.

Last Sea Day

Seas still a bit bouncy when I woke up but calmed down fairly quickly. Did my last laps of the running/walking track before brekky.

Went to Captain's Q & A in the Palace Theatre at 11am. I always find these interesting. This one was very funny as the Captain (Rick Sullivan), Hotel Director (Michael Rasmussen) and Cruise Director (Graham Seymour) had a great rapport and were cracking each other up. Only ran for about 50 mins as there were not alot of questions and thankfully no trivial complaints this time round. The Chief Engineer was also in attendance but he was very quiet and didnt get a word in edgewise really with the other 3 bouncing off each other.

Midday was another solo lunch in the MDR. Waiters and food were superb. Had a very nice time with the other solos. There was a musician playing during lunch.

5.45pm I watched the parade on the promenade. This strictly for kids imo so I left after 5 mins and this gave some kids near me a better vantage point on the balcony too.

6pm & 9pm - Ghostbusters on the pool screen. Awful movie.

7pm & 9pm - Farewell Show in the Palace Theatre. Martin Coffey juggler followed by farewell from crew.

Luggage tags & custom forms in cabin. I got given 4 luggage tags.

If you werent doing self assist departure in the morning, you needed to leave your suitcase outside your cabin between 7pm - 11pm (i think). There was a detailed flyer left in your room with your tags with all the info.

Arrival day.

Scared I was going to sleep in, so of course I woke up at 3.30am!

Watched our sail into Sydney Harbour on the Virtual Balcony at about 5.30pm.

Got light just as we reached the Harbour Bridge. Watched us dock at OPT.

Headed up to Windjammer for brekky - opening times listed on last night's flyer.

My departure time was 7am. Bit of mix up in the Studio B while I was waiting but wont bother going into detail. Probably part my fault anyway for being glued to my phone chatting with my daughter on whatsapp.

Got to the luggage collection area and my bag wasnt were it was supposed to be (No 8 section). It was lumped in with section 14. I had put 2 rci tags on last night and one had fallen off. Lots of bags with no tags in the no tag section and plenty of frustrated cruisers who said that had definitely put tags on. I was given 4 tags last night, so my recommendation is use all of the ones you are given.

Once I collected my suitcase, I was out of the OPT and meeting hubby in a very short space of time.