Question re luggage checkin at OPT for Explorer OTS

Posting here too in case our friend at the OPT is around :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2424749

Original post:

Do we have to check our luggage in on embarkation (in Sydney) or can we take it on ourselves? Last cruise we checked our luggage in at midday and our luggage only turned up at our cabin at 6pm (dinner time) After 6pm is not when we want to start unpacking! That's when we want to start enjoying ourselves!

Posting here too in case our friend at the OPT is around :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2424749

Original post:

Do we have to check our luggage in on embarkation (in Sydney) or can we take it on ourselves? Last cruise we checked our luggage in at midday and our luggage only turned up at our cabin at 6pm (dinner time) After 6pm is not when we want to start unpacking! That's when we want to start enjoying ourselves!

As long as it's a size bag that firs through the scanner, carry on is fine.

As young Mr Gut has said, yes you can take your own luggage on board with you providing that it will fit through the security scanner. Remember though,depending on what time you intend checking in, you will have to keep all your luggage with you until your stateroom is ready ( The Windjammer gets crowded enough as it is on embark day,let alone lugging your luggage in there as well) and this, to me, would be far more annoying than having to unpack for half an hour later in the evening. Staterooms are normally ready around 1-1:30pm.

As young Mr Gut has said, yes you can take your own luggage on board with you providing that it will fit through the security scanner. Remember though,depending on what time you intend checking in, you will have to keep all your luggage with you until your stateroom is ready ( The Windjammer gets crowded enough as it is on embark day,let alone lugging your luggage in there as well) and this, to me, would be far more annoying than having to unpack for half an hour later in the evening. Staterooms are normally ready around 1-1:30pm.

There you are!! :) Thanks so much for responding.

For reasons I won't go into, the late arrival of our luggage really screwed up our first night last cruise so just trying to avoid it if possible. Will see.

We usually arrive at the pier around 12:30, so if the cabins are ready around 1-1:30 then by the time we're onboard we'll just drop them off at the cabin before doing anything else. Worst case if we have to wait a little we'll hang out at one of the bars over a lovely cocktail. Yes, you're right, wouldn't want to go in to the Windjammer with luggage, it can get pretty busy in there on embarkation day. We also usually have a late breakfast before we arrive at the pier so should be fine to eat around 2:30pm after the luggage has been dealt with.

Would you happen to know what the dimensions are for the scanners?

There you are!! :) Thanks so much for responding.

For reasons I won't go into, the late arrival of our luggage really screwed up our first night last cruise so just trying to avoid it if possible. Will see.

We usually arrive at the pier around 12:30, so if the cabins are ready around 1-1:30 then by the time we're onboard we'll just drop them off at the cabin before doing anything else. Worst case if we have to wait a little we'll hang out at one of the bars over a lovely cocktail. Yes, you're right, wouldn't want to go in to the Windjammer with luggage, it can get pretty busy in there on embarkation day. We also usually have a late breakfast before we arrive at the pier so should be fine to eat around 2:30pm after the luggage has been dealt with.

Would you happen to know what the dimensions are for the scanners?

Not off hand, but about the same size as the carry on luggage scanners at the airport. Not working again till Tuesday but I will try and measure one for you if I get a chance.

Not off hand, but about the same size as the carry on luggage scanners at the airport. Not working again till Tuesday but I will try and measure one for you if I get a chance.

Awesome, thanks so much. No stress though if you're not able to.

Cheers