Viking China

2tsquared

1. A while back, someone asked about swelling of legs and feet. This was a problem for me, always associated with lengthy air travel and bus rides and usually with a cruise thown into the mix. My own swelling was quite painless, not noticed until I could see my legs, and resolved after a night in bed. I am more concerned about the possibility of blood clots as I age. On my trip to China, I bought compression hose, from newspaper insert ads, not expensive and in black and tan, and wore them for air and bus trips of any duration. This solved my problem. A little talc makes them easy to go on. I did also take baby aspirin before the over ocean flights but, because some people should not use aspirin, cannot further advise.

2. I do not usually like instant coffee but found the instant coffee in the rooms of the Shangri La hotels very much to my taste. As I have tried to run it down, find that Nestle/Nescafe makes many variations of its Classic Singles. The Chinese version is not to be found on any of the webs sites I have visited and, so far, Nestle itself has not been able to help. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and has found a website where the Chinese verson may be ordered.

3. I shopped lots of places but bought the earings I could not resist on the Viking Century Sun. The price was good and origin documented.

4. If you haven't found a souvenir for someone special, take a look in the dresser drawers of the Shangri La hotels. There I found a set of clothes brush and shoe horn. You have to see them. I wanted only the shoe horn; it was delivered to my room and signed for. I kept it for myself.

I would think about two weeks or give an extra break for a few days or so with the holiday. With us, no mail was going out during the bad snow but we still got it within about two weeks. They seemed very reliable.

Thanks for the good report. If a DC based firm can get it done in two weeks with the city all but shut down for snow then that says a lot about the firm.

Beth

Glad to know someone from this board will be on the trip. It should be a good trip and hopefully you and your mother will have a great time (and bonding experience). I just did a cruise (Caribbean) with my mother in January.

We just got confirmation on the hotels last week.

Joan

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is going to be worth it for us, so I thought I would ask.

Has anyone who had done this trip gotten the soft drink package? Was it worth it for you considering that we get bottled water in our staterooms and the tours? How much do you have to drink to make it worth your while? Is there anyone who regrets not getting? Especially helpful would be prices for individual drinks such as soda, espresso and mocktails, if you remember.

Thanks in advance.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is going to be worth it for us, so I thought I would ask.

Has anyone who had done this trip gotten the soft drink package? Was it worth it for you considering that we get bottled water in our staterooms and the tours? How much do you have to drink to make it worth your while? Is there anyone who regrets not getting? Especially helpful would be prices for individual drinks such as soda, espresso and mocktails, if you remember.

Thanks in advance.

This may help if it's up to date:)

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdfs/bar_menu.pdf

Thanks in advance.

I always buy drink packages on Ocean Cruuises, since I drink 2 liters of Diet Coke per day! I didn't on our Viking cruise, since we were only on ship 4 days and 5 nights, and docked every day, I didn't.

I bought a 6 pack of diet coke daily on shore. They were always available and much cheaper than ship. Less than 10 Yuan per 20 oz bottle!

If it didn't pay for me, it probably won't for you. I took them to all meals on board with no objections!

This may help if it's up to date:)

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdfs/bar_menu.pdf

Wally, thanks. It is a good place to start. I noticed that the prices are in euros so I am thinking that this is the price list for the European cruises. I also noticed while reading the materials that prices on the China cruises can be different (sometimes more, sometimes less). At least it gives a ball park.

Does anyone remember what they paid for the various soft drinks on board? Sodas? Mocktails? Espresso? The other question is if there is iced tea always available or is that covered under the beverage package?

My decision isn't buy on shore or buy on the ship but rather package or no package. Do I drink enough everyday to make it worth my while to buy the soft drink package or will I be better off just paying as I go? I just need some more information to make that decision.

Thanks.

When we traveled with VR in China (Nov 2007) I carried crystal lite to mix with bottled water.

We only purchased a few sodas on the economy.

Euro pricing. All charges on the ship board accounts were in Euro's. If tips are charged to your Ship Board Account, the tips are charged in Euro's. The Credit Card charges are processed at the headquarters in Europe.

If you have an American issued cc,all charges (Yaun or USA$) are converted to Euro's then back USA$, then when your charge goes through it's converted back to Euro's.

We used our ATM card to with withdraw in Yaun. Our ATM card did not charge any transactions or usage fees. We then paid our for our account in cash to avoid all of the conversion charges.

Have a great trip.

It's one of our best and we would like to go back.

Emily

All charges on the ship board accounts were in Euro's.

I believe that policy has changed. This is what I found on the Viking website about the onboard currency:

In China:

The onboard currency is the renminbi, whose basic unit is the yuan. All onboard purchases are billed with a guest check and added to your personal shipboard account. At the end of your trip, you may pay in cash (renminbi, U.S. dollars, euros, Swiss francs or pounds), or by credit card (your bill will be converted at the current exchange rate). The ship cannot accept travelers checks for payment of your shipboard account. Please review your shipboard bill upon checkout so that we can more easily assist you with any questions you may have. Note that all shipboard purchases will appear on your credit card statement as “CQ New Century Cruise.”

Someone had posted on here that a 21 inch carryon would not fit in the overhead bins on Intra-China flights.

What size of a carryon has everyone used?

We fly over and can have two 50lb bags per person and a carry on and personal bag. Now on our intra China flights whats different on Vicking arranged flights?? :confused::confused:

Bucket List??? OIC!! :confused:

Someone had posted on here that a 21 inch carryon would not fit in the overhead bins on Intra-China flights.

What size of a carryon has everyone used?

We were told 2 suitcases weighing 50 lb ea and one carry on. While in China we had 6 flights. Our guide told us to be sure those suitcases only weighed 50 lbs, but we could carry as much as we wanted on the plane. It was pretty funny as everyone was totally loaded when we boarded. The planes were all new so had large overhead bins. I carried a 21" and it fit fine. And all the large luggage was put in one pile so I don't think anyone ever paid for being overweight. What Viking told us before the trip and what really happened were quite different! It was a fabulous trip...we went in Oct 2008. I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Kelley

We were told 2 suitcases weighing 50 lb ea and one carry on. While in China we had 6 flights. Our guide told us to be sure those suitcases only weighed 50 lbs, but we could carry as much as we wanted on the plane. It was pretty funny as everyone was totally loaded when we boarded. The planes were all new so had large overhead bins. I carried a 21" and it fit fine. And all the large luggage was put in one pile so I don't think anyone ever paid for being overweight. What Viking told us before the trip and what really happened were quite different! It was a fabulous trip...we went in Oct 2008. I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Kelley

kelley We would love to ask questions. But we have a shadow on CC our email adress is on the bottom of our post. Please reply if you want. We leave April 2010

Thanks

Kelley, are liquids allowed in checked baggage on the China flights; I've heard yes and no so don't know what to believe. Wally, please do a review when you get back, and do enjoy your trip!

I'm not Kelley, but I will say that they are allowed in checked and in carry on- and also you don't have to put your items in quart bags.

Felicia

We had to put all of our liquids in the checked luggage for inter China travel. This included hand creams, toothpaste, the whole works. You have enough time in the morning to eat breakfast, brush your teeth and then put your luggage out for pick up. Your tour guide will keep you abreast of what current regulations are.

We had no problems flying into China with the small bottles of liquids.

Agree, no liquids at all on intra-China flights. They made me discard one individually wrapped hand wipe that they found in my cargo pocket...I had forgotten it was there. They allowed one man to keep his lip balm but he had to use it on his lips while they watched. One person on an inside China flight was summoned to find the disposable cigarette lighters that were in her checked luggage. She was not allowed to bring them on the plane at all...I guess it was considered an explosive.

Agree, no liquids at all on intra-China flights. They made me discard one individually wrapped hand wipe that they found in my cargo pocket...I had forgotten it was there. They allowed one man to keep his lip balm but he had to use it on his lips while they watched. One person on an inside China flight was summoned to find the disposable cigarette lighters that were in her checked luggage. She was not allowed to bring them on the plane at all...I guess it was considered an explosive.

Well, they must have changed this policy in the last year or two, because I am certain we could take all liquids and not have to do the "baggie rule" on the flights w/in China!

I think it's better to be safe than sorry, and just go by what your guide tells you.

Felicia

Our info says we can take 44.2 lbs. I wonder if its because we are coming from Canada or is it that we are flying Air Canada.

Do you think if I take my 22" on it would fit in the overhead bins. It is a Skyway and is light, but it is just wider than my 21" carryon so I would prefer to take that one.

We decided to use Generations to get our visa even though we live in the DC area. With all the snow and DC traffic, it ended up being fabulous. Sent it out during a snowstorm and got it within 2 weeks. Much better than braving the streets of DC and possibly waiting a long time at the embassy. I recommend them highly. Got our hotels and now just a few months away.

Received our visas today. “Wow it’s getting closer” Nothing left to do but pack and fly. “Oh my bucket has a hole in it” We are sooooooooooooooooo ready? Well almost the flight will be a test.:confused::)

Smils from a warmer North Jersey:):)

Kelley

Have not taken the trip yet (it will start Aug 1), but I was told by Viking that 44 pounds(20KG)/person was the limit for checked baggage, but as a practical matter, was not fully enforced.

Wallygator, How long did it take to get your visas? It's going on 3 weeks and I'm starting to get antsy. Plan to call on Monday. Our check was cashed a couple of weeks ago, but those passports are still out in never never land.

It took exactly three weeks I used Viking's service Generations Visa Service:);)

Archived