Viking China

2tsquared

It will be easier just to have the things for one day in one small spot and not have to go through your luggage. Also, if it gets lost you will still have things for the next day. Always a concern.

Why, if you will have all your luggage in Xian?

It will be easier just to have the things for one day in one small spot and not have to go through your luggage. Also, if it gets lost you will still have things for the next day. Always a concern

Thanks Whales, good idea.

I have seen many different opinions on the Peking Duck dinner and the Tang dynasty show--any general consensus whether it is worth it or not? Shanghai is my shopping mecca and don't want to lose out on that--have many tips from here and from people who have gone. We first go to Shanghai. In any event, thumbs up or down on two dinners/shows? I do love Peking Duck but if it is nothing like what we get here in the US I am not sure it is worth it. Most have said the acrobat show in Shanghai was worth it. Thanks.

We did not do the Peking Duck dinner. We had been told to skip it and I'm glad we did as I was told by someone who went that it was not good. Tang Dynasty Show was great. The acrobat show in Shanghai is included in your trip and is wonderful. No extra cost. Do not miss it.

We shopped in both Shanghai and Beijing. By the way, the Tao Bao CIty market had the silk comforters. I saw a gentleman there purchasing one. If you stay at the Westin, the concierge will give you directions. I feel the Ritz Carlton will probably do the same.

Hello, I’m from the UK and we are travelling on the China Cultural delights in June 2010, I just wanted to let any UK travellers know how easy it was to sort out our own visa. We booked an appiontment at the Chinese Visa centre in London (also have one in Manchester). You take a number and go to the window when called, they check it there and then and you pick it up 4 days later or have It posted to you. It only took 10 minutes and cost £65. Viking charge at least double that amount.

We are taking the May 22nd "Roof of the World" tour. Just wondering if anybody had any trouble with the altitude? Have been reading all of the threads - great info.

Hope we have time for shopping - seems to be an issue......akwynn

We are on Roof of the World tour now. Just a quick note. I saw many mentions of shopping near Shanghai Museum (the mall under the stairs). Not worth it at all. It is modern stores that are very similar to what you can find in the States. No great shopping or deals. Otherwise tour is great. Westin is fabulous--great showers and superb morning buffet. Tour is very well organized. SIgning off for now.

We will be taking that same tour May 21. Would love to hear about it and your recommendations on shopping. We will be coming from Texas and our flights are killers. Really interested in the altitude in Tibet.

We will be taking that same tour May 21. Would love to hear about it and your recommendations on shopping. We will be coming from Texas and our flights are killers. Really interested in the altitude in Tibet.

Going from TX (Houston, not hills) to Shanghai in July. What killer flights did they give you.

It was almost a 13 hour flight (we went from Wash. Dulles to Chicago and then from Chicago to SHanghai) on United. It was not as bad as I thought. It was long though. Smooth flight and the 777 was great with the 2 seat then 5 middle combo. We did Economy Plus which worked for us. If from Houston if you have COntinental--that is ny airline of choice but they did not offer it to us. The majority of the people on the flight were from Viking--I think there are about 280 people total for various tours through VIking. Time change is hard even though you don't really have to change clocks too much. From east coast our clocks remained the same because of the 12 hour differential. Westin is lovely and great views of the bund. Tour is very well organized. The Roof of the World tour is the only group at the Westin; others are at Grand Hyatt. Westin has free internet; not so at Hyatt. We will all converge on to the ship tomorrow. Acrobatic show was very good. ALso saw a wedding at the place we went for dinner. Very western with white wedding dress, champagne, dj, etc. Does not really feel like what I had perceived China to be like. The days ahead may be different.

Frankly SHanghai at least has been a major surprise to me. The economy is unbelievably good and very western oriented.All signs are in English or Chinese. ALso most people including the hawkers speak English.

DId not have a lot of time on our own to shop although went out the first night and took a stroll along the BUnd. Beautiful skyline. No noticeable pollution--perhaps because of Expo that is just starting.

We did Economy Plus which worked for us. If from Houston if you have COntinental--that is ny airline of choice but they did not offer it to us.

Did you pay extra for Economy Plus or is that what they offered?

Continental only flies to Shanghai from Newark, so I doubt it will be offered to us in Houston.

I suspect that we will get United to SFO and then United to Shanghai.

When we went to Shanghai in February, it was Houston to MSP on Delta and then 13 hours 9 minutes from take off to touch down in Shanghai on Delta.

We were told all those road signs in English is due to preparing for the world's fair there this year.

On United Economy Plus is an extra $359/year and a companion can use as well for free. You can upgrade not only for the China flight but also for any flights you and a companion take for a year. It was well worth that cost.

Still trying to decide between Avalon and Viking for the China with Yangtze cruise for 11 days or so. What are the pros and cons of each?

Most comparisons I have seen on this board are a couple of years old. Avalon as a new ship on the Yangtze - Victoria Jenna.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We are going Beijing to Shanghai on June 14 - are confused on electrical capabilities - only to need to charge cell phone and camera battery - are there 110V with US plugs in hotels and ship?

Also - will need to transfer pictures from digitial camera to memory sticks - can we use the computer on the ship to do simple file transfer from camera memory card to memory stick - will have adapter for cards to plug into USB port on computer.

thanx

Austin to Detroit, Detroit to Tokyo, Tokyo to Bejjing. 20+ hours not including time on ground. We will be flying in daylight which will be tough to sleep. A little worried about sight seeing the next day.

Austin to Detroit, Detroit to Tokyo, Tokyo to Bejjing. 20+ hours not including time on ground. We will be flying in daylight which will be tough to sleep. A little worried about sight seeing the next day.

Wow! And how early is that first flight?

Still trying to decide between Avalon and Viking for the China with Yangtze cruise for 11 days or so. What are the pros and cons of each?

Most comparisons I have seen on this board are a couple of years old. Avalon as a new ship on the Yangtze - Victoria Jenna.

We would do Viking China again. We had an incredible time while on the tour and ship. They bent over backwards to make sure you had a good time. Our flight was delayed getting into Beijing due to weather and the tour guide was at the airport to greet us and take us to our hotel where she had already checked us in. We basically just had to crawl into bed because it was so late. She had arranged for a snack in our room so that we did not have to bother going to the restaurant to eat at the late hour.

Starting in 2011, Viking will be sailing a new ship on the Yangtze, the Emerald.

We leave Austin at 8:44 am, Detroit at 12:47 pm and Tokyo at 5:25pm

Archived