Is Carnival super expensive or is it just me...

kwazi07

For DW and I, we always find cheaper rates on Carnival for our set of requirements. Our first ever cruise was on the Serenade OTS out of NOLA. Chose that cruise because NOLA was within driving distance - can't afford a cruise AND airfare. Then Royal left NOLA, and we booked Carnival Dream this last February - cheaper rate, same enjoyable cruise experience.

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Another thing to note... Carnival prices are usually the cheapest of the major cruise lines. many people know that so at Spring Break time many college kids will flock towards Carnival. This will increase the demand which will impact the price. The rooms are limited at that time so they can pretty much raise the prices knowing that the rooms will still be sold out.

I wanted to do a spring break cruise but figure the prices would be cheaper a couple weeks later. That is why I chose 4/22

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at a Carnival cruise (possibly) for next March for a B2B of sorts or to replace my current cruise on Royal. However, Carnival is so expensive for me!

I booked a five night on a large Royal ship, with three guests in a balcony and two in an promenade (interior with a view) stateroom for $2900. This is over our spring break, so a little expensive.

However, when I look on Carnival for a cruise (preferably on a Conquest class or Magic), everything is really expensive for our same setup. Like, in the $4000 range for a six night on Conquest. And I can't find any rooms for five unless I look at Victory (meh) or a Fantasy class (been there, done that).

I really want to go on Carnival again! I enjoyed the zany design and the food. But why is is so expensive? Or am I just not looking in the right spots?

You're really not comparing apples to apples.

When comparing 5 days cruises on each line on equivalent ships and itineraries, prices are fairly equal with a slight positive balance toward Carnival.

When comparing 6-7 day cruises on each line on equivalent ships and itineraries, prices are fairly equal with a slight positive balance toward Royal.

Of course with more planning and deal-hunting, better prices could be found but there is not a huge imbalance as you believe. More often than not I have been able to find Carnival a better value than other lines.

Many other things factor into to just cruise fare so a true analysis is difficult. Find what works for you, your needs and budget - enjoy!

Edited by StolidCruiser

And to reply to the OP, I don't believe I've ever heard the words "super expensive" and "Carnival " used in the same sentence before :-)

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Okay :)

I said super expensive just because I feel it is overpriced. More like "not as good of a value" than super expensive.

Sent from Tapatalk

And I can't find any rooms for five unless I look at Victory (meh) or a Fantasy class (been there, done that).

What's wrong with Victory? There is not much difference between this ship and all the Conquest class! I had the same good time on all of them. :)

What's wrong with Victory? There is not much difference between this ship and all the Conquest class! I had the same good time on all of them. :)

I really want funship 2.0 renovations with the Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana. I mean, if I find a good price on Victory I'd jump on it, but I'd rather go on Liberty out of PC which is a les of a drive from Tampa (where I live).

Sent from Tapatalk

Magic is one of Carnival's most popular ships. Forget about finding anything inexpensive on that one in most cases.

As almost everyone else has said, it's supply and demand. All of the lines cut back, raise prices blah blah. Carnival is not always the lowest. Shop around like you are doing and go with what you can afford with the ship and itinerary that pleases you the most. If you're not loyal to any line, what difference does it make what ship you are on. By in large, Carnival is not "super expensive." I would give that title to the luxury lines.

By in large, Carnival is not "super expensive." I would give that title to the luxury lines.

No, I agree. I feel that it's super expensive for Carnival, ya know. When we cruise Paradise a few summers ago, five of us cruised five nights in a OV for under $2000. It's just a big shock now that I'm looking at Carnival again.

Sent from Tapatalk

Victory is much more limited in its dining choices, and when I sailed on her the paint was worn off in many places on the ship, particularly around the elevators on the metal facings. It just looked tired.

The aft pool -- which at the time was all-ages -- had NO underwater lights working at all, so it was quite dim and foreboding after dark....and a child had drowned in the main Lido pool on the previous sailing. You'd think that might have encouraged them to put some thought into maintenance.....

No, I agree. I feel that it's super expensive for Carnival, ya know. When we cruise Paradise a few summers ago, five of us cruised five nights in a OV for under $2000. It's just a big shock now that I'm looking at Carnival again.

Sent from Tapatalk

Magic is the wrong ship, if you want to do a cheap cruise. It is very popular and prices are higher on it for that reason. Plus you are talking Spring Break, as I said before, we booked back in Aug and the prices were already high for our sailing during that time as the ship was nearly sold out.

I really want funship 2.0 renovations with the Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana. I mean, if I find a good price on Victory I'd jump on it, but I'd rather go on Liberty out of PC which is a les of a drive from Tampa (where I live).

Sent from Tapatalk

Liberty isn't sailing from Pt Canaveral as there have been problems with the engines. It can't sail at a high enough speed to get to where the cruise was set to travel. It was replaced by Valor and I don't know if that ship has the 2.0 upgrades as I didn't like the cruise we had on that ship, but it was a while ago and I don't remember why I didn't like it. Obviously, couldn't have been that big a deal.

Liberty isn't sailing from Pt Canaveral as there have been problems with the engines. It can't sail at a high enough speed to get to where the cruise was set to travel. It was replaced by Valor and I don't know if that ship has the 2.0 upgrades as I didn't like the cruise we had on that ship, but it was a while ago and I don't remember why I didn't like it. Obviously, couldn't have been that big a deal.

I think it's the opposite...Liberty went to PC to do the short Bahamas and Valor went to Galveston to do the longer Mexico routes.

Sent from Tapatalk

I do think carnival is becoming more expensive. Just check other cruise line with ever cruise line comes in less expensive go with that cruise line.

Totally agree with you....CCL is pricing themselves out of our business. Just booked the Regal Princess for HALF of what we paid on our upcoming Feb Vista cruise in a similar balcony cabin on both.....yikes CCL!! That is exactly what we have been doing.....pricing all the mainstreams and going with the best cost bottom line. RCI, Princess and NCL have all been priced far lower than CCL for the same cabin level recently and we have 'jumped ship' !! Just shop around! :):confused:

Liberty has been moved to Port Canaveral BECAUSE of its propulsion issues. The Valor has been relocated to Galveston and both ships have 2.0 upgrades.

Liberty has been moved to Port Canaveral BECAUSE of its propulsion issues. The Valor has been relocated to Galveston and both ships have 2.0 upgrades.

I'm sorry that I got it backwards. When I sailed on Liberty, it was in Pt Canaveral and I forgot that it was moved. I guess it's true that when you get old, the memory is one of the first things to go. Sorry

I'm sorry that I got it backwards. When I sailed on Liberty, it was in Pt Canaveral and I forgot that it was moved. I guess it's true that when you get old, the memory is one of the first things to go. Sorry

Oh Lord, there's nothing at all to apologize for. You're ok![emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at a Carnival cruise (possibly) for next March for a B2B of sorts or to replace my current cruise on Royal. However, Carnival is so expensive for me!

I booked a five night on a large Royal ship, with three guests in a balcony and two in an promenade (interior with a view) stateroom for $2900. This is over our spring break, so a little expensive.

However, when I look on Carnival for a cruise (preferably on a Conquest class or Magic), everything is really expensive for our same setup. Like, in the $4000 range for a six night on Conquest. And I can't find any rooms for five unless I look at Victory (meh) or a Fantasy class (been there, done that).

I really want to go on Carnival again! I enjoyed the zany design and the food. But why is is so expensive? Or am I just not looking in the right spots?

The $2900 on RCCL is cheap. 5 people for 5 days for all food, nice rooms, entertainment. Not sure what you expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It could be that it was cheaper because RCL has a promotion right now where 3&4 person are less and u have a 3 person room. Maybe the room availability on one ship is more than other so you have a higher level on one than other so not comparing exactly same room while comparing balconies. Another person asked what Carnival included. Their tips are less and they don't charge for room service delivery and Guys burger is free while Johnny Rockets is not free. I believe Royal charges extra for other things too

Another person asked what Carnival included. Their tips are less and they don't charge for room service delivery and Guys burger is free while Johnny Rockets is not free. I believe Royal charges extra for other things too

This is true about the tips, but its only a 50 cent different pp per day.

Otherwise, the room service delivery is a non-issue. Royal's room service is free except from 12am-5am. I dont know about you, but I'm rarely awake then. Also, Royal's room service offers a wider variety of foods including more hot food.

And IMO, Guys and Johnny Rockets are very different. While I've heard Guys is delicious, Johnny Rockets is more of a restaurant than a counter like Guys is.

I like Carnival, but I find it absurd how they charge for the IMAX and thrill theater shows...

Sent from Tapatalk

We're booked on Navigator, which is a Voyager class. It was built in 2002 and has the Royal Promenade, ice rink, flowrider, etc.

I'm mainly looking at the the Conquest class (specifically Conquest and Valor/Liberty if they release March rates). I feel that the classes pretty comparable in their spot in their respective cruise line.

I'm also looking at Magic which I know is one of Carnival's newest.

Sent from Tapatalk

I've been on Navigator, Magic and Conquest. If you were able to book Navigator for less than the other two you did well.

RCCL and CCL both find ways to generate more revenue on board, but for many the single biggest extra expense is booze and RCCL's packages have worked out to be a better deal for us than Cheers.

There are tons of threads with varying opinions as to which line is better, but most would agree that RCCLs ships and entertainment is better with the nod going to Carnival for food, crew friendliness, and shipboard activities.

We're usually willing to pay $150 more pp for a week on a Freedom/Voyager class vs Dream Class and would only consider a Conquest class if it was at least $150pp cheaper than the Dream class.

So I'd be very happy to see high Carnival pricing when I already had the Navigator booked.