Cruising with Dones

You can definitely bring drones onboard. There's a guy that sails on Celebrity all the time and brings his. But I'm sure he gets permission from somewhere. I wouldn't just show up with it.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure where else I can get permission from apart from RCCL themselves, which I have, so fingers crossed!

Repeatedly complain?

I don't know where you got that from. I made one comment before you started suggesting what you think I should say do, or think.

OK. You win. Rant on if you choose. Enjoy your cruise.

And yet here you are, posting again on a thread that you want to be shut down because of some unexplained reason. Sorry, but I don't get why you are still here if this thread is so annoying to you that you want it closed. :confused:

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure where else I can get permission from apart from RCCL themselves, which I have, so fingers crossed!

This may get deleted as I'm not sure you can promote face book sites but there's a celebrity addicts group, the guys name is Ade and always travels with his drone.

• 4 weeks later...

Have recently returned from celebrity cruise and there was someone using a drone on all arrival/ departures of the ship. Thought it was a great idea, I certainly had no objection and heard no one complaint. Hell these days you have to be careful when you take photos that you don't offend others. Where will our police state nanny state end.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The being aware as you indicate, the answer should be clear. If it is a prohibited item with the cruise line, the you cannot take it on board, regardless of your ultimate intent with using it.

And, while it is good that you are licensed with the FAA (all drone owners with drones over a certain weight must be registered with the FAA), that means little in terms of being able to take it on board and use it on other islands.

I am having a case of deja vu and am sure we had this thread witrh the same posters some months ago?

My comment would be to 'leave the drone home. The rule, all the rules, apply to all of us.

I am referring to the fact that just because someone claims here that they got permission to do something does not make it true. People post lies all the time.

A copy of mine from 2015:

"Dear Mr. Bengtsson,

I am writing inn response to your request to bring a RC helicopter with a

mounted camera and dimensions 29cm x 29cm x 18cm on board the ship with

the intentions to take pictures in the different ports.

Normally we do not allow these devices but after consulting with the Guest

Service Manager J**** P***** and the Security officer on Legend of the

Seas we will grant you the permission to bring the helicopter with you

under the conditions that you declare this during the boarding process and

hand over the helicopter to the security officer.

You can ask to bring it out of the ship in the different ports and when you

return to the ship you need to hand it over to security once again.

We hope that you will have a wonderful cruise and that you will be able to

take the pictures you wish to remember it by.

(See attached file: 4001862.pdf)

With Kind Regards,

C*** N*****

Senior Cruise Consultant

Nordic Countries & Baltic

RCL Cruises Ltd.

P.O. Box 114 Lilleaker

NO-0216 Oslo

Norway"

Good enough? :)

I just got back from our Freedom of the Seas cruise. We have a DJI maverick drone - it's super small, fits in a water bottle case. We put it through security and had no issues at all. We used it at 3 of the ports, abided by the rules and we were totally fine. No issues at all!

I love it when they post that they have a Model XYZ 12345 option 4746 unit and licensed by the FAA. Like stating they have a particular model therefore they are professionals and makes the question more legitimate.

I'm licensed by the FCC and an electrical engineer but that doesn't give me the exception to take my ham gear on the ship or use it in a foreign country.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to Drone video and photography. I have read this thread with great interest to learn what the policies are. I certainly understand what "prohibited" means and I also understand that laws and regulations in the US do not apply on a cruise ship and in foreign countries. But it seems to me that many here wish to present themselves as authorities on the cruise line's policies, most hard line yet there are examples on how the cruise lines make exceptions if requested in a reasonable and responsible way by the drone owner. So while I'm new to Drone video, I'm not new to cruising and professional videography.

I had hoped to take my new small compact Drone on Celebrity this summer on an Alaskan cruise. The trip will be combined with a cross country road trip where I will be using the drone. However, it seems that while special permission to bring the drone aboard can be obtained, the effort and logistics may be more trouble than it is worth. Might best be left in the car in the cruise port secure parking lot along with other stuff for the road trip and not needed for the cruise.

Canada just released new drone regulations, making it difficult for recreational users to fly within most municipalities. These restrictions would likely be in effect at any Canadian harbor a cruise ship would arrive at. You would have to travel some distance to find an area that fits within their guidelines.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Canada just released new drone regulations, making it difficult for recreational users to fly within most municipalities. These restrictions would likely be in effect at any Canadian harbor a cruise ship would arrive at. You would have to travel some distance to find an area that fits within their guidelines.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

In case you haven't noticed, most of the Alaskan Cruises are ports in the US with a quick stop at one Canadian Port ( I understand for legal reasons because the ship is registered outside the US). Therefore US rules would apply. Having said that I'm discovering lots of restrictions to flying in the US as well.

My experience in Tulum Mexico was a near catastrophe. Had my video camera confiscated by 3 Mexican heavily armed military with some official in a suit otherwise known as the CMFIC. Seems in Mexico there are places where video cameras are outlawed and punisable with a prison sentence and Tulum site is one of them. After a little payoff in USD, ( that's how it works in Mexico) I got my camera back before heading back to the ship. But was warned the next time I was going to jail. I would probably have been shot had I flown a drone there.