Cruising with Dones

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

Let me know what you guys think

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

If a cruise line classifies drones as prohibited items, then they will not allow you to bring them on board. If you do, they will take them at original boarding and hold them for you until final disembarkation. I highly doubt they will give them to you in ports of call to take off the ship. Even if you could, you may find restrictions regarding their use in the different ports of call.

What do I think? Leave it at home!

As mentioned above, there may very well be restrictions on drone use. However, the main thing to remember (and so many forget) is that you are in a completely different sovereign land after you leave the USA. They have their own laws, their own regulations and their own way of administering....their country.

It's not just drones, but also telecommunication devices, weapons, and even what are over-the-counter pharmaceuticals in the USA.

Why is it that some people believe that "prohibited" either doesn't apply to their case, or doesn't apply to them period??

This same post was made on the Princess board, and the responses were all resoundingly, "no, don't do it".

Apparently OP is looking elsewhere for the answer he/she WANTS just because he/she WANTS IT, whether it is permissible by the cruise line or not.

This same post was made on the Princess board, and the responses were all resoundingly, "no, don't do it".

Apparently OP is looking elsewhere for the answer he/she WANTS just because he/she WANTS IT, whether it is permissible by the cruise line or not.

Thank you for speculating on my behalf. My itent was to ensure I received a reply since I was not sure which board(s) are replied to more frequently.

I am well aware of what prohibited means but as others may have pointed out, drone photography is a new and upcoming niche and I am licenced with the FAA.

Thank you for speculating on my behalf. My itent was to ensure I received a reply since I was not sure which board(s) are replied to more frequently.

I am well aware of what prohibited means but as others may have pointed out, drone photography is a new and upcoming niche and I am licenced with the FAA.

I would have to disagree......:rolleyes:

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The being aware as you indicate, the answer should be clear. If it is a prohibited item with the cruise line, the you cannot take it on board, regardless of your ultimate intent with using it.

And, while it is good that you are licensed with the FAA (all drone owners with drones over a certain weight must be registered with the FAA), that means little in terms of being able to take it on board and use it on other islands.

Then you should know that the FAA is the Federal Aviation Administration and would only apply in the United States. The cruise lines make the rules and if you want to cruise, you have to abide by the rules.

Then you should know that the FAA is the Federal Aviation Administration and would only apply in the United States. The cruise lines make the rules and if you want to cruise, you have to abide by the rules.

I suspect that the OP may be interpreting the term "prohibited by the cruise line" as meaning "not permitted to be used on board" as their intent is to use it in ports of call - even though it has been pointed out that "prohibited by the cruise line" means that it cannot be brought on board for any reason.

Perhaps they will correct me if I am wrong. But if I am, then they should clearly understand that they will not be permitted to bring it on board - regardless of intent.

And you are correct - as I also suggested - that US FAA regulations and permissions have no application or bearing on foreign ports of call. Whatever rules and regulations may exist with each country visited regarding drone use will be the only guidelines that will matter. (Just as with the cruise line's policies).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You folks are being a little bit rough on the OP. He is asking a question' date=' so there is no need to flog him in the public square. He will probably choose not to bring the drone, since he now has the feedback. Chill out, fine cruisers![/quote']

Since the op admits he knows the rules, then why does he ask the question? If he really wants to know how the cruise line handles drones, he should contact Princess, not people who don't set the rules. He is clearly fishing for ways to get around the rules.

Asking his question like asking "The rules prohibit guns and illegal drugs, is there a way for me to get around that?" The op has earned the "flogging in public" he has invited upon himself. ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

You asked what we think.......... I think it a b ig mistalke to drag it along and plan to use it in ports where you likely know little or nothing a bout their laws concerning drones and privacy. . You cOuld get in a HEap of TROUBLE. It seems to me you sense this or would not have asked :wink:

Edited by sail7seas

You folks are being a little bit rough on the OP. He is asking a question' date=' so there is no need to flog him in the public square. He will probably choose not to bring the drone, since he now has the feedback. Chill out, fine cruisers![/quote']

I disagree with this completely. I don't see anyone being rough or "flogging him in public". The OP asked a question looking for what we think, and we have answered him. It is a matter of ship policy, which he states he understands. Yet he has come back challenging the feedback which apparently was similar on another board on which he asked the same question. I for one am well chilled, and have only responded with objective, candid answers to the questions he's posed.

Hi guys,

By now, you've gotten your answer. "No, don't bring it." If you're keen on getting some aerial photos or videos while in port, look to see if there are any helicopter excursions offered for the port(s) you'll be visiting. ;)

If I had a nice drone and

an FAA license to use it and

I researched the laws of the countries where I thought I could use it and

I read the rules of the cruise line,

I would certainly not be on a message board asking people with little to no knowledge of my situation how to interpret the cruise line statements pertaining to my situation.

I would be writing a letter to the cruise line and the person named in the early postings on this thread to see if there was a possibility of being an exception to the rule.

If a cruise line classifies drones as prohibited items, then they will not allow you to bring them on board. If you do, they will take them at original boarding and hold them for you until final disembarkation. I highly doubt they will give them to you in ports of call to take off the ship. Even if you could, you may find restrictions regarding their use in the different ports of call.

What do I think? Leave it at home!

And that just about sums it up.

By now, you've gotten your answer. "No, don't bring it." If you're keen on getting some aerial photos or videos while in port, look to see if there are any helicopter excursions offered for the port(s) you'll be visiting. ;)

Of course his chosen CC name: "cruising_with_drones" tends to indicate that it is more than just a casual question - it is part of his identity, which means that he might have a reluctance to accept "no" as an answer.

Of course his chosen CC name: "cruising_with_drones" tends to indicate that it is more than just a casual question - it is part of his identity, which means that he might have a reluctance to accept "no" as an answer.

Very plausible.....:):):)

Bob

I would certainly not be on a message board asking people with little to no knowledge of my situation how to interpret the cruise line statements pertaining to my situation.

I would be writing a letter to the cruise line and the person named in the early postings on this thread to see if there was a possibility of being an exception to the rule.

I'm sorry, but what part of this statement defining the policy regarding bringing drones on board would possibly justify your position?

Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Your other comments have no relevance to legitimately challenge the policy IMO, in particular as all drones over a certain weight must be registered with the FAA to be legal to fly - which again has no bearing outside the US.

I'm sorry, but what part of this statement defining the policy regarding bringing drones on board would possibly justify your position?

Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Your other comments have no relevance to legitimately challenge the policy IMO, in particular as all drones over a certain weight must be registered with the FAA to be legal to fly - which again has no bearing outside the US.

Fact: neither you nor I speak for Princess.

Fact: there are exceptions to nearly every rule. For this one? maybe, maybe not.

Fact: for the OP to learn the official answer to his/her query, he must ask Princess.

Fact: neither you nor I speak for Princess.

Fact: there are exceptions to nearly every rule. For this one? maybe, maybe not.

Fact: for the OP to learn the official answer to his/her query, he must ask Princess.

Fact: The policy statement is clear as a bell.

But the OP can challenge all he wants if he so desires. Why simply accept a company's policy? :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

But the OP can challenge all he wants if he so desires.

Thank you for seeing my point.

Personally I think that Princess will tell him no.

Furthermore, I think that this policy comes from on high, meaning from Carnival Corp. itself.

Edited by thinfool

Thank you for seeing my point.

Personally I think that Princess will tell him no.

Furthermore, I think that this policy comes from on high, meaning from Carnival Corp. itself.

Well you miss mine - my comment was sarcastic and I actually don't see your point!

But one thing we can agree on is that the answer will be no.

Agreed.