Cinque Terre from Genoa in January

chinita415

Trying to figure out if this is feasible...

Will be at Genoa on Sunday Jan 22 - port time 8a-6p/18:00. Looking to take the train from Genoa to one of the Cinque Terre towns. Walk between two towns and then in the town before heading back to Genoa.

We have been to Cinque Terre before in 2000 and stayed for 2 nights. I am pretty sure we walked between Monterosso and Vernazza. Was hoping to walk a different area like the Riomaggiore - > Manarola ( Via dell'Amore) but I understand it is closed due to damage from the 2011 earthquake.

I looked at the Trenitalia website and it seems feasible. 1.5 hrs or so from Genova Brignole station. Is this the correct website to search? Can I buy tickets the day of as if weather is not good, we might not hike or even go there. The trains are InterCity and Regionale. How on time are they for the return journey?

I am looking at a 9a from Genova arriving at 10:38a to Monterosso. Return from Vernazza at 14:34 and arriving Genova 16:06.

I know it is not a lot of time - 3 hours of travel for less than 4 hours in the area. But I am willing to do this if feasible as nothing else looks interesting in Genoa itself. We have been to the aquarium.

I bought all my train tickets in Italy the day we were in each port. The trick is getting to the station in time to purchase your tickets (the automated machines are easy to use and are quick) and get on the proper platform. My frustration was that the tickets don't say which platform you will find the train. I also don't remember seeing the trains labelled with a destination, so many times I hoped for the best when hoping on a train. The train station in Genoa is close to the pier, so you can walk there easily. No need to take a taxi unless you have mobility issues. If you're due to arrive at 16:06 that should give you lots of time to play with in case of a delayed train. I didn't experience much more than a 5-10 minute delay with the trains in Italy, but only spent a couple weeks there. When we got back to the cruise ship pier in Genoa, all the normal entrances were locked! It was not a pleasant experience trying to find a way back to the ship. There was no notice doors would be locked, and no signage anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can still hike between Riomaggiore and Manarola but instead of a flat 20 minute walk it is a tough hike over the mountain. Slippery and some spots so steep there are ropes. Easily the most difficult of the 4 hikes. Vernazza to Corniglia is similar to the hike you did but it might be a bit long for the time you have. Manarola to Corniglia is also very steep but mostly stairs.

I say go for it. Even 4 hours there is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure I'd agree that 4 hours in January is worth it....

I've not been there, but from what I read it can be cold (daily high and low temps are 52 and 39 F), damp, and raw. Also seems aside from potentially hiking, many things close down out of season.

But, to each his own. I love Rome in winter (with so many good indoor options) and the weather around Campania tends to be very nice that time of year. But Cinque Terre -- not for me in January!

We are going more for the hike and views. Will have plenty of city and village time elsewhere on the cruise and land trip. The view of Vernazza from the trail was one the highlights of our last visit. Those temps are fine for us as we hike in similar temps here. Colder like 20's with wind chill... not so much as we found out a few winters ago in Grand Canyon. [emoji14] But will keep tabs on weather the day before to decide.

Just want to make sure the train logistics are sound.

Anyone has other options from Genoa?

Edited by chinita415

We are going more for the hike and views. Will have plenty of city and village time elsewhere on the cruise and land trip. The view of Vernazza from the trail was one the highlights of our last visit. Those temps are fine for us as we hike in similar temps here. Colder like 20's with wind chill... not so much as we found out a few winters ago in Grand Canyon. [emoji14] But will keep tabs on weather the day before to decide.

Just want to make sure the train logistics are sound.

Anyone has other options from Genoa?

I didn't notice that you are going in January. I would actually even increase my recommendation. The towns are overrun in the summer time and I can't think of a single place that would be closed that I would miss. Rain would really preclude the steeper hikes but the 20 minute walk from the train station and wander around Corniglia would still be enjoyable if it is a bit wet.

Would be pretty tight and you could end up a creek without a paddle.

Suggest you forget the CT and do this as it is nearer .

Take the train 1 hour to St Margherita Ligure. Then take the Bus to PORTOFINO departs from outside front of the station at St Margherita every 20 mins for the 30 min trip to Portofino . Buy bus tickets from the restaurant/bar at the station . Then take bus back from Portofino alight at the roundabout stop in St Margherita then walk back along the waterfront and up to the station . You would need 5 - 6 hours from arrival to departure in St Margherita to do this. Look up Trenitalia website for trains Genova to St Margherita Ligure .

Be careful there are two main stations in Genova Principe & Brignole.

Edited by kuldalai

Would be pretty tight and you could end up a creek without a paddle.

Suggest you forget the CT and do this as it is nearer .

Take the train 1 hour to St Margherita Ligure. Then take the Bus to PORTOFINO departs from outside front of the station at St Margherita every 20 mins for the 30 min trip to Portofino . Buy bus tickets from the restaurant/bar at the station . Then take bus back from Portofino alight at the roundabout stop in St Margherita then walk back along the waterfront and up to the station . You would need 5 - 6 hours from arrival to departure in St Margherita to do this. Look up Trenitalia website for trains Genova to St Margherita Ligure .

Be careful there are two main stations in Genova Principe & Brignole.

I would agree with the above. In fact the hike between SML and Portofino is quite nice and would add about an hour. It wouldn't be something I would do in winter, but, some are more outdoorsy. Portofino would be very quiet at that time of year.

We hit Genoa on a rainy day in November, so we just stuck with the villas and art galleries, along with a nice leisurely pesto lunch.

Thanks for the Portofino suggestion. I was looking at that as well and was not sure if it would be worthwhile. And it sounds like if there were any hiccups, a taxi would be feasible as opposed to CT. Which train station is closest to the port?

Edited by chinita415

Thanks for the Portofino suggestion. I was looking at that as well and was not sure if it would be worthwhile. And it sounds like if there were any hiccups, a taxi would be feasible as opposed to CT. Which train station is closest to the port?

In Genova Principe is nearest station to the port . Look up Trenitalia website enter Genova Principe to St Margherita Ligure and tick box for un booked trains . The trip takes 40 minutes and you can buy the tickets on line around two months in advance or at Genova Principe station . From Genova Principe the trains will have a destination Sestri Levante, La Spezia or even Pisa Centrale .