Fall T.A. - Getaway or Epic?

vedettes1

I have been on both ships. I would go with the Getaway. My main reason for this is while on the Epic I just felt like I had to search to see the ocean. The Getaway had great walking areas outside that were right by the water.

Besides that one area, I really loved both ships. They're very similar with what they have onboard. I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

We've been on both and I also would pick the Getaway.

The Epic has very odd cabin bathroom and shower (not in a separate room, just a shower stall and a toilet closet out in the room with a curtain). We didn't like that at all.

The Getaway does allow you to see the ocean a lot more than the Epic too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm booked on both ships next year (Spring and Fall) - but I love Epic so for me it was all down to dates. Getaway leaves earlier in the fall of 17 than usual - there is a pro and con to that one.

Pro - weather will be far better - this years fall TA the weather wasn't great - unusual - but we missed the sunshine of previous years. Getaway's 15th - 29th October - pretty good odds on the weather being amazing

Con - and its significant- in UK and Europe its kids half term break - I am in the tourist industry (hence why we cannot take Getaway) - I would imagine this TA on Getaway will see a lot more kids than usual. Perhaps not a con for everyone - but on TA demographics are usually older. October half term is a big European holiday time....

Epic (doesn't leave Barcelona until 5th November ) and SPA time it is for us :D

Edited by Blondie008

I'm sailing solo on Epic Saturday and have never sailed Getaway so I can't give pros and cons about each ship. I'm sailing on the Getaway TA in a balcony as a solo cruiser next fall and I picked it because of the waterfront and I wanted to try a different ship. I was very tempted to book the Epic TA but for me the Getaway TA seemed better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Vedettes - (sorry off topic!) can I just add that we cruised Alaska this year with Celebrity - we spent three nights in your wonderful city - We met amazing people in Seattle - took our dogs remains there to have them made into glass art by this incredible group of Seattle artists - fell in love with Seattle - so much so - we for sure will return - want to try our the new Norwegian ship - but also add a whole week in Seattle next time - be proud of your city - friendly people, warm welcome - clean - vibrant - loved it!!!

Except for the more unusual cabin design on Epic, Getaway and Epic are more similar than different. Here is where the differences lie:

Epic Waterslides: 3

Getaway Waterslides: 5

Epic Specialty Restaurants:

Le Bistro

La Cucina

Moderno

Cagney's

Teppanyaki

Sushi

Shanghai (free)

Getaway Specialty Restaurants

Le Bistro

La Cucina

Moderno

Cagney's

Teppanyaki

Sushi

Shanghai (free)

Ocean Blue

Epic special show

Cirque Dreams

Getaway special show

Magic Show

IMO, Dreams is way better than the magic show, but the magic show is still entertaining.

Spa:

Epic: separate saunas for male and female

water circuit with 3 back jets

hot tub

whirlpool

sanarium

steam room

rain shower

heated tile loungers

balcony with loungers

Getaway: all facilities except locker rooms are shared

water circuit with 1 back jet

hot tub

whirlpool

sanarium

sauna

steam room

rain shower

salt room

heated tile loungers

Spice H2O

Epic: includes hot tubs and a small pool

Getaway:2 hot tubs only

Suite restaurant

Epic: overlooks both the pool deck and port side of the ship

Getaway: overlooks port side of the ship

Some cabins...

On Epic have very large balconies where the ship bumps out such as The Haven Spa Suite 14151

Cabin bathrooms Mini-suite and below:

Epic - Euro split bathroom design where toilet is in tiny glass enclosed room, shower is glass enclosed off entrance hall and sink is in the cabin on the dresser.

Getaway - normal cruise ship bathrooms with those for mini-suites having a larger shower and trough sink for 2. This is the same bathroom in spa suites and penthouses and then when you get to the next size up suite (2 bedroom and Owner's suite), you get a much larger more elaborate bathroom.

Unusual beds:

Epic: The Haven Spa Suite and The Haven Penthouse: round beds that cannot be separated.

Getaway: Normal beds

Curvy cabins in all rooms above inside on Epic.

Getaway cabins are typical cruise ship cabins.

Epic was built in France. Getaway was built in Germany.

Booked (again) on the Getaway TA from Copenhagen.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I agree about the supposed "weather" predictions. I've done TA's before and at that time of year and trust me, the last one we did made the whole Titanic thing seem like a piece of cake. The good thing was we never ran into an iceberg but the seas were NOT calm and the sun was NOT shining every day.

Seeing the ocean? Are you thinking of a balcony cabin where you can ALWAYS see the ocean when you want to?

Personally, I think a LOT depends on where on the ship you are located since most people actually spend a full 1/3rd of every day there.

• 4 weeks later...