Thinking through Miami hotel options

gratamama

Hi CC'ers,

I've only been to MIA, not actual Miami and I need your help!

We're on an April 15 cruise. My husband and I, along with our two boys (ages 12 and 2 years old) arrive at MIA just before lunch on Friday, April 14. Joining us are my parents - and my mom will be about 70 days post knee-replacement surgery. They are actually flying earlier by a few days into Miami. Where to stay????? Where NOT to stay???

Right now, my older boy's only real requirement is a pool, lol. I think that's a good thing for my mom, too, as sometimes sand walking is a little tricky - I want to make sure she's taken care of. But I think we're all sort of interested in at least seeing South Beach and something close to the beach would be nice. If we did stay downtown, is getting there a big problem? I know the easy answer is just "book a nice hotel right on the beach" but we're always pinching pennies to some degree and trying to figure out if the money saved by staying downtown outweighs these other wants.

Thanks!

The last two trips we have stayed at the airport Hilton. Its not amazing, but its close, has a nice pool bar. There is also a free shuttle from the airport every 15 minutes. For groups coming in at different times, or if you are looking for easy its a solid choice.

Getting to the port i believe they also have a for pay shuttle. Our group was large enough both times we used Jiffy Jeff... yep that is the actual the name of the company. Around a $100 bucks, and we had a nice Mercedes van take us.

If your looking for the beach we have also stayed at Fontainebleau... It was a very nice hotel. Great view, great pool, very nice service, much more expensive. Also a much younger vibe.

Staying near the MIA airport is okay if you are flying in late and just want a room for the night before your cruise.

Stay downtown, close to the port and also close to Bayside Market where your family can easily catch one of the hop-on/off bus tours of the city and south beach; they also offer boat tours of some of the amazing homes in Miami.

The Mary Brickell area offers a couple of nice hotels - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc. plus lots of dining and shopping options. Closer to Bayside are the Doubletree (amazing pool), next door Marriott, or the Intercontinental and Hayat.

Taxi from MIA to downtown hotels will run about $25-27+tip; Uber will be $20 or less.

I too would stay in Miami, particularly given that your parents are flying in earlier.

I would take a look at a couple of options.

Marriott Marquis and Intercontinental. Near restaurants and have nice pools.

Another option would be JW Marriott, and Conrad Hilton. Near restaurants including Mary Brickell.

You could look at the Hampton Inn which normally I recommend for one or two nights but it's not a full service hotel so not sure if your parents would be bored there after a couple of days if you Mom is limited. I am not sure what type of shape she is in but 70 days post surgery could still be limiting for her.

Keith

My wife and I have stayed in Miami several times pre-cruise. I second the advice that others are giving you for staying in the Bayside Marketplace or Mary Bickell areas of Miami. We have also stayed in the Intercontinental Hotel on several occasions and strongly recommend it if you can afford the rates.

The hotels given to you by Keith1010 and JohninDc ar all mentioned on this board as good places to stay. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

I agree with John and Keith.

I would not stay by the airport. In general, it is a horrible, high crime area.

The Hampton Inn Brickell gets rave reviews.

Since mom is post knee surgery, why not do the HOHO bus? That way you get to see lots of Miami without stressing her knee.