Anthem flow rider?

tidygirl

DH has been wanting to take a cruise in the winter, I am not too keen on the idea as you have to worry about flight cancelations etc. I am looking at a cruise out of NJ on the Anthem the beginning of March since we could drive to the port, but am concerned it's going to be cold most of the trip?

Question anyone that has been on a cruise on an itinerary farther north and know whether the flow riders are open for crazy people like my husband?

Stops are Port Canaveral and a couple places that we've already been to, but not sure if it's going to be warm enough to satisfy me.

I have lived in Florida and have been on Anthem. Not sure what temperature your husband would require to go on the flowrider but they will start opening it up as soon as feasible. By feasible I mean not windy, not really cold, not storming and not rocking to badly. Early March out of NJ the weather could be anything from snow storms to over 60 degrees and beautiful. Florida could be 60s to 90s. Could be open all week or not at all. No way to tell no matter what time of year really.

I have been on a number of Anthem cruises in the colder months and the Flowrider will follow their normal schedule if the air temperature is above 9 degrees C (48 degrees F). Rough seas may also force it to close. Wind is usually not a problem unless it's so bad that the upper decks are closed.

While this may seem too cold for most, there are a number of things that help. First the Flowrider water is heated on the Anthem. Second, there are glass partitions that surround the Flowrider which block the wind. I found that all I need is a "shorty" wetsuit to be comfortable.

The biggest plus for cold weather surfing is the total absence of lines. More than once I have been the only surfer on the wave.

Lou

The Anthem has a great wave. My new favorite. We went to Norway at the end of May this summer and the first day in the North sea the ship was sailing due north at 20 knots and there was a 35 knot wind blowing from directly from the north. So the apparent wind was in excess of 50 knots. When we got to the top of the wave the wind could simply knock you down. The morning in Bergen it was in the 40s and raining and they closed the wave. Some sessions were cut short, but most of them occurred. I wear a 1 mil wet suit, more of a skin than the regular 3Mil or heavier suits. I prefer the flexibility. It was pretty cold, the water was heated, but waiting for your turn was cold. That said a few days we were in the 70s and we were surfing without wet suits.

Our Anthem cruise in September went north to Nova Scotia and most of us wore some wet suit part of the trip.

I would not hesitate to take the Anthem in the winter. Worst case you lose 1 or 2 days on the wave. Highly unlikely. The upside is reduced lines.

JC

DH has been wanting to take a cruise in the winter, I am not too keen on the idea as you have to worry about flight cancelations etc. I am looking at a cruise out of NJ on the Anthem the beginning of March since we could drive to the port, but am concerned it's going to be cold most of the trip?

Question anyone that has been on a cruise on an itinerary farther north and know whether the flow riders are open for crazy people like my husband?

Stops are Port Canaveral and a couple places that we've already been to, but not sure if it's going to be warm enough to satisfy me.

Your instincts are correct. During the winter the first 2 days and the last two days will be cold. I'll never understand cruising to the Caribbean from NY/New Jersey during the winter. Don't worry about possible flight cancellations and fly to Florida for your cruise during the winter

I'll never understand cruising to the Caribbean from NY/New Jersey during the winter.

We wanted to visit NYC and relax in a cruise ship and next year we only have vacations in March :) That´s our reason to cruising the Caribbean from NY/NJ during the "winter" :D