Panama Canal partial transit - excursions?

debwats

We are booked on the Dec. 2, 2018 Miracle Journeys cruise that does a partial transit of the Panama Canal. In doing my research about Panama Canal cruises in general, it seems that many of the partial transits on other cruise lines offer excursions while the ship is anchored in Gatun Lake. I don't see any such excursions offered on the Carnival website, however. Does anyone know specifics about options? Do we just stay on the ship and watch the scenery? Or will there be opportunities to get off the boat and explore? I only have two years to make plans....HA!

I think the partial transit IS an excursion!! No need to pay extra, IMO! Once you are in the lake, a good number of passengers will get off the ship, and then there are no crowds onboard....it's lovely!

As you enter the 1st 3 sets of locks, a navigator will be giving running commentary...so you learn a lot. The ship will be packed with everyone at the railings...but on the trip back OUT....not so many, so you won't have to fight for a view!

You are way to early for excursions to be posted....but at around 3-4 months, they should show up!

Yes, I know it's too early to see excursions for that particular cruise, but on the excursions section of the Carnival webpage, nothing is listed for Panama Canal. I was just curious if Carnival, in general, offers ANY excursions for the partial transits. I'm happy if they do, and happy if they don't. Just wondering!

We are booked for the April 14, 2018 partial transit & I actually have an email sent to shore excursions asking this very question. Will we be able to go ashore, book excursions, etc. or is the entire time in Panama spent on the ship? I'll subscribe to this thread & post when I hear a reply. :)

We are booked on the Dec. 2, 2018 Miracle Journeys cruise that does a partial transit of the Panama Canal. In doing my research about Panama Canal cruises in general, it seems that many of the partial transits on other cruise lines offer excursions while the ship is anchored in Gatun Lake. I don't see any such excursions offered on the Carnival website, however. Does anyone know specifics about options? Do we just stay on the ship and watch the scenery? Or will there be opportunities to get off the boat and explore? I only have two years to make plans....HA!

First it is to early for excursions . Excursions are usually shown about 180 days before the cruise.

Edited by Kamloops50

There will not be any excursions. the ships that do partial transits with excursions go through the Gatun Locks, tender off passengers for excursions, anchor in the Lake for a time, then retrace the way through the locks and dock in Colon to retrieve the excursion passengers. Since the Carnival partials do not dock anywhere outside the canal, there are no excursions offered. This has been discussed many times since the partial transits were posted. EM

I appreciate the information. Thank you to those who tried to help. Condescension is not helpful, but seems to be common on these forums. How about we try to help each other, instead of shaming people for asking questions? Happy cruising!

The reply has come in regarding our April 14, 2018 Panama Canal Partial Transit cruise & reads as follows:

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Line. We have received your e-mail message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

There will be no stopover and no oportunity to go ashore as entire time you will spend on the ship.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

Glad to share this information & we are wishing everyone a wonderful journey as we're sure looking forward to ours! :)

The reply has come in regarding our April 14, 2018 Panama Canal Partial Transit cruise & reads as follows:

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Line. We have received your e-mail message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

There will be no stopover and no oportunity to go ashore as entire time you will spend on the ship.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

Glad to share this information & we are wishing everyone a wonderful journey as we're sure looking forward to ours! :)

Thank you so much! I was not going to be disappointed either way, but was just curious about what to anticipate. Thank you for sharing this information. Enjoy your cruise!

We are also booked on this cruise. I had gone to the Carnival website for information on excursions. I'm glad you asked and got an answer!

We just got back from doing the Partial, albeit another cruise line. However, we booked an excursion which was partially a boat ride around Gatun Lake and then back to the Canal and at the observation building. Gatun Lake is a large waste of time unless you feel the need for a boat ride. We saw 2 birds and zero monkeys. Some passengers went on a boat trip to monkey island and had a great time with monkeys coming right on the boat.

I could have spent hours at the observation building watching as the ships made the transit through. Just fascinating the ability to pull the ships through. After that we were taken by bus over to Limon to catch the ship. Zero control and udder chaos. Hopefully they have it under control now but just a mess.I would do the Canal again tomorrow.

Hey, we are booked on the same cruise! See you onboard! Thanks for asking this question, I was kind of curious about it as well.

We are also booked on this cruise. I had gone to the Carnival website for information on excursions. I'm glad you asked and got an answer!

See you onboard! I am so excited for this cruise, it is awesome to see people on here already talking about it even tho its 2 years away!