Portsmouth to Heathrow

kkbay

Looking for a tour that takes us from Portsmouth port to Heathrow, stopping at Highclere, Stonehenge, and Windsor, or perhaps a private driver to take us to all of these places. June 2017

Thanks!

You could check the coach tour-transfers offered by the ship. When I drove coaches I did a few cruise tour-transfers out of Portsmouth.

But you won't find a tour which offers that combination - more likely London over-view, or Salisbury & Stonehenge, or Windsor & its castle.

You'll not find a guide knowledgeable about all three places - if you did it'd cost a bomb. And only Windsor Castle's own guides are allowed in the Castle.

Both Stonehenge & Windsor have audio-guides, I don't know about Highclere.

For a private tour-transfer, try http://discoverthesouth.co.uk/

They're the touring arm of well-respected West Quay Cars. Drivers, not qualified guides. But carefully-chosen drivers, experienced, knowledgeable and customer-orientated drivers.

Or http://www.smithsforairports.com are probably the most widely recommended private transfer operators on Cruise Critic for out of Portsmouth & Southampton. I'm sure they'd put on a suitable driver, & almost-certainly cheaper than DtS.

But even with a private tour that's a busy, busy day. About 3 hours driving (using the fast but boring motorway system), plus minimums of 90 minutes at Stonehenge, 2 hours Highclere castle & 2 hours in Windsor. And, apart from pubs & restaurants, Windsor is dead from about 5pm.

OK, so Stonehenge is bucket-list, so you're Downton Abbey aficionados, and so Windsor Castle is iconic. But dropping either Stonehenge or Highclere would make for an easier day.

I'm presuming an airport hotel, & flight next morning?

nb - for Stonehenge you need to buy advance timed tickets, or you risk your schedule being thrown into chaos. Fortunately Stonehenge will be your first stop, so if you know your disembarkation time your chosen operator can advise on which time-slot to book.

JB :)

Just a thought: you can see Stonehenge from the road. In fact the main road goes right by... and it gives a good view too. If yr not fussed about being 200 meters way rather than 10 meters away, and you'd rather spend your time visiting the other attractions you mentioned... then this may be an option to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Wellard

Highclere castle aka Downton, is not open widely to the public. In 2017 it is open for 2 weeks at Easter and then Sundays only till June. Your sites are a long way apart and I would think impossible to do justice to on one day with travel, traffic etc. Windsor alone with travel needs much of the day, Stonehenge although an iconic site is a good view from the road. Highclere near Newbury is a good way from the others. Needs to be re thought out in my view.

You definitely need to pre-book tickets for Highclere as even WITH tickets there can be a long wait outside as they limit the number of people who are in the house at any one time. The house itself needs an hour or so as again, it gets quite busy inside and when we went we spent quite a lot of time just waiting in corridors before we were allowed to proceed to the next area. Don't forget there is the Tutankhamun exhibition there too. Ticket availability may be a problem as they sell out quickly so book them ASAP. The roads around Newbury can also be extremely busy - we were stuck in a huge traffic jam the day we went which was at the end of July.

I think the distances involved mean that you will be rushing from one thing to another with no time to do justice to any of them. I agree that you can see Stonehenge from the road so that would definitely cut down on the time needed.

Hope you have a great time, and that you can work out an itinerary which doesn't leave you frazzled.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know just where the cruiseships dock in Portsmouth. Do they dock in the same area as the ferries?

Yes they do at Portsmouth International Port (PIP)

Edited by Arachnid
Spelling