Jeans at dinner?

GPCOUPLE

There are literally zillions of threads concerning this topic. Many people will tell you that you're not supposed to (and I'm one of them) since the cruise line's suggested dress code typically doesn't allow jeans. But since you asked, "Can I get away with wearing nice jeans", my answer is probably yes. It boils down to whether the ship will enforce its own dress code. Very often, they do not. At the very least, it's inconsistent. And I say this, not even knowing which ship or cruise line you will be on, because every CC board contains reports of inconsistent enforcement of dress codes. If you feel comfortable wearing the jeans, knowing that you might be turned away, and if you're willing to take that chance, go right ahead. But please don't complain if you're asked to change.

It depends on the line. I know X (Celebrity) actually says NOT to wear them as it detracts from ambiance. "Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm." I have seen them turn away people on X, but not on any other line... This may be because some other lines only say that dress codes are suggested, rather than required... Either way, I agree with Jognql.

If I may make a suggestion, how about a pair of kahki pants or similar casual pants. I wear jeans, and I know that they can be just as comfortable as jeans maybe even more so. Doesn't have to be expensive either, I find they are even more comfortable in warmer weather as I find jeans to be hot comparied to say a pair of lightweight casual pants.

There are even some nice knit pants with elastic waits, that don't look like sweats that are extremely comfortable.

These come in all price ranges.

I agree... especially if you're in caribbean or warm weather cruises, sometime khakis will be more comfortable than jeans. I think jeans may be too hot. I'd look for some comfortable khakis or cotten pants. Or you could try a skirt if those arent out of your comfort range.

Normally I would say no to jeans at dinner and I, personally, still would not wear them myself despite what I say here. Your cruise is a 4 nighter, those can tend to be a bit more casual than the longer cruises. You will see jeans in the dining room.

Now, for how I feel about it is, the dining rooms are elegant rooms. I personally don't care to be dressed down in that type of ambience. Since it's only for a few nights, why not just tough out the dinners in a different type of pants?

So, you will see them, but it is a bit weird to me that it is now considered in good taste. I also don't understand why jeans are more comfortable than another type of pants, my microfiber or knit pants are tons more comfy than jeans. That makes me sound exactly like my age.

:( Of course, my cruise with my mother-in-law will be on Celebrity. :(

What am I gonna do without my jeans???:confused: :eek:

Can I go instead??:D

I just returned from my 6th Celebrity cruise and had a fantastic

week. It was fabulous!

Yes, it is listed in the daily about no jeans in the dining room for

dinner. But I will say, I saw jeans in the dining room.

It is up to the Maitr'd to enforce the dress code...or not.

Personally, for me, I leave the jeans home. But then again,

I enjoy dresses or nice slacks and pretty tops in the evenings.

Normally I would say no to jeans at dinner and I, personally, still would not wear them myself despite what I say here. Your cruise is a 4 nighter, those can tend to be a bit more casual than the longer cruises. You will see jeans in the dining room.

Now, for how I feel about it is, the dining rooms are elegant rooms. I personally don't care to be dressed down in that type of ambience. Since it's only for a few nights, why not just tough out the dinners in a different type of pants?

So, you will see them, but it is a bit weird to me that it is now considered in good taste. I also don't understand why jeans are more comfortable than another type of pants, my microfiber or knit pants are tons more comfy than jeans. That makes me sound exactly like my age.

I do not think it is an age thing. I lived in jeans when I was young and now rarely wear them. I do not find them comfortable and I also do not find them particularly attractive. I really think they are far too casual for the formal dining rooms on X.

Although X will sometimes (not always) turn the other cheek when pax wear them in the dining room, IMHO, when the cruise line specifically requests that they not be worn, I believe this should be respected.

First I agree with Caviargirl that whatever the dress code is anywhere, land, sea, air, whatever, it should be respected.

That said, I also don't find that jeans are the most comfy pair of pants.

Hubby hates them for himself and until this Alaska trip didn't own a pair, and only bought a pair because I insisted that it was needed.

I find them very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter so I only wear them for in between seasons. I don't like to travel in them as I find a "juicy couture style suit" much more comfy for travelling. What I do like is that I find they make a great very casual day pant for inbetween. When it's too cold for my beige chino/kahki style cotton casual pants that I wear in warmer weather and to hot for cords which are my winter casual pants.

For comfort, I find my good day black pants are much more comfy and so are the cashmere knit pull on pants much more comfy than jeans as are the "jogging style" suits.

I do not think it is an age thing. I lived in jeans when I was young and now rarely wear them. I do not find them comfortable and I also do not find them particularly attractive. I really think they are far too casual for the formal dining rooms on X.

Although X will sometimes (not always) turn the other cheek when pax wear them in the dining room, IMHO, when the cruise line specifically requests that they not be worn, I believe this should be respected.

The OP is sailing RCI, not X, not that that should make any difference. You're right, the dress code should be respected, whether you are 15. 25. 35. 45. 55 etc...

Even though I stated you will see jeans at dinner, somehow "just because other people are doing it" doesn't make it a good thing, or the right thing to do. I really do want to be dressed at least as nice as the staff who are serving me.

I also agree that when a cruise line specifically asks that jeans not be worn in the dining room I would not wear them. However, when not specified I think that jeans can look as nice as any other pant depending on the total look and the person wearing them.

Personally I feel more comfortable in jeans than any other pant and instead of a black pair of knit pants will wear black jeans and instead of khakis will wear tan jeans usually with a nice top and heels. Most of my jeans are the ones with a cotton, poly, spandex blend and are thinner than khakis. They give me a slimmer look than knits. I don’t find them hot in the summer (and it stays in the 90s or more here). I don’t think it is an age thing since I am 50.

As long as you dress them up and do not wear them in the dining room, I personally don't see a problem.

I'm with Keskie, I find jeans much more comfortable than anything else.

I bought a pair of distressed Blue Cult jeans recently that I am head over heels in love with. I'll be sending out announcements soon:p

i am going on the 3 day majesty cruise.

i am planning on wearing jeans but they are khaki colored and not blue jeans. i have a nice matching sweater....... it is for my casual first night on the boat dinner.

i am leaving port at 5pm that night and i cannot fit another thing into my carry on especially if we don't get our luggage until later on during the night and might not get it in time to change for dinner.

i will be flying from cold maryland that morning and i really don't want to be freezing my butt off in maryland at 2am when i leave my house to catch my flight.

so i thought if i wore my beige jeans and a sweater i will be comfortable at dinner.

No, please don't do it. It says no jeans so it means no jeans. It ruins the whole dining room experience for the rest of us if we dress up and are seated with people in their jeans. You might as well be going to a steakhouse for a bite? I say definately a no no IMO.

Don't want to step on any toes but you asked.;)

Cruizinrican:)

No, please don't do it. It says no jeans so it means no jeans. It ruins the whole dining room experience for the rest of us if we dress up and are seated with people in their jeans. You might as well be going to a steakhouse for a bite? I say definately a no no IMO.

Don't want to step on any toes but you asked.;)

Cruizinrican:)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Majesty of Seas a RCCL ship? If so, there is no prohibition against jeans in the dining room on casual nights.

For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire: (This is taken right out of the RCCL brochure)

1. Casual: dresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

2. Smart casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

3. Formal: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties, or tuxedos for men.

Sorry, but there is no mention of jeans in their idea of evening wear.

And yes, the Majesty of the Seas is a RCCL ship.

Cruizinrican:p

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in, it is your cruise and your vacation. You can look really nice in a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater, silky top, etc.I could care less what others wear, and others should care less what I wear :):):)

As much as I know my husband and 14 year old son would love to wear jeans on the cruise...it will be limited. Travel days, certain shore excursions where they can't wear shorts, maybe some sea days. That's about it.

Part of taking a cruise is the granduar of it all. IMO, if you don't want the cruise experience - just go on vacation somewhere. I do hear that ships in the Carnival line don't have a problem if you show in jeans rather than the "suggested" attire. As a passenger, I would have a problem.

Jeans at dinner; NO! all the lines have have the same policy: no jeans, t shirts, tank tops or shorts after 6pm. If you want to choose the buffet for dinner that is different and sometimes the hostess or host will look the other way, but rather than be embarassed it would be advisable to stick with the docker type pants. NMnita

Jeans at dinner; NO! all the lines have have the same policy: no jeans, t shirts, tank tops or shorts after 6pm. If you want to choose the buffet for dinner that is different and sometimes the hostess or host will look the other way, but rather than be embarassed it would be advisable to stick with the docker type pants. NMnita

Actually all the lines do not have the same policy. Some state no jeans, some don't say anything about jeans either way and some state that for cruises from certain ports even blue jeans are ok. My opinion is that when a line specifically says no jeans then you shouldn't wear them. However when a line doesn't say no jeans they can be worn for casual night.

One of the examples someone gave was from RCCL's website with the comment that jeans were not mentioned. Well formals were not listed for formal night, just cocktail dresses. So by that poster's logic one couldn't wear a long ball gown for formal night.

I guess we will just have to disagree. You may not prefer to wear jeans, you may not think they should be worn to dinner, and you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I prefer to wear jeans, I don't see anything wrong with wearing them on casual nights to dinner, and I think they can look just as good as dockers or khakis or capris.

Archived