Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

Perhaps I am being dense here but nobody is forcing to use the Retreat. The Spa takes up space as well and I never pay to use the either. I simply forget it's there and concentrate own everything else. Plus my guess is that the Retreat will not last. Like most of us here on CC few people will be willing to pay $350 a day to sit in a cabana.

Wripro, the Spa is used by many many passengers. The retreat seems to be empty most if not all of the time, and the space it occupies could be used by passengers for other activities, such as deck sports, walking/jogging, sunbathing etc.

Edited by eliana

Just to clarify if it helps, the Retreat on Encore is not the same facility that was converted last year into the 4 Spa Suites on Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn.

The Encore's Retreat takes up much more deck space, is on the top deck 12, midships and forward, where the golf, shuffleboard and some seating are located on the other 3 ships. And it's a different concept with 15 cabanas with fridges and TVs. I doubt that you and Capt Geir Arne have photographed them unless you have sailed Encore since Athens. Also, you would not have access to its general area to do so unless you pay $350 per day. It is literally roped off!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Seabourn crew party area [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at the retreat and listening to Markham and AS Henry

I cannot see why anybody even if you had more money then sense would want to sit or lie in a cabana with a large screen TV and try to relax whilst others around them might be doing the same in their cabanas with their TVs playing different programmes or music.

Why oh why would you not do this in a your own suite.

Mr Luxury, when walking on Deck 5 outside the bar on all the Odyssey ships I have encountered joggers.

Yes you might have but you must agree that it is not a jogging track nor is it suited to joggers whilst the other guests are walking and schmoozing around the deck.

Yes you might have but you must agree that it is not a jogging track nor is it suited to joggers whilst the other guests are walking and schmoozing around the deck.

I agree, but it's the best there is.

We gave the Retreat a try yesterday, and overall found it a very enjoyable and indulgent pampering experience.

About 2/3 of the cabanas were occupied, on a sea day. (I do wonder how many takers they'll get on port days.)

It's wonderfully peaceful inside the Retreat. The potential for a cacophony of television noise was anticipated by Seabourn, so they provide wireless, comfortable over-the-ear headphones, should you wish to watch a movie or listen to music. We didn't hear a peep from the other cabanas all day.

The service was stellar, even by Seabourn standards. There were three dedicated staff members serving us: a bartender, a sort of server/concierge, and a cleaner who kept things tidy in the cabana (removing used glassware, etc). The bartender circulated constantly, frequently offering a tray of cocktails he'd just concocted. We could also order any drink we liked, of course, and there is a special drinks menu for the Retreat.

We were provided with a chilled bottle of Bollinger on arrival and after we finished it, offered another! (We declined.) The cabana also had a large fruit bowl and a mini-fridge containing still and sparkling water and soft drinks.

We received a $50 credit toward a cabana massage. That said, no massage appointments were available for the entire remainder of the day, when I inquired at about 10:00 am. As an apology, they applied the $50 credit to another service I'd already had in the Spa on the previous day.

The Retreat has its own exclusive lunch menu (not super exciting or innovative, but nice: salade niçoise, steak sandwich, etc). The only glitch, and it was a significant one, is that it took TWO HOURS to receive our lunch, from the time of ordering. The staff clearly are aware that there is a problem, as they kept encouraging us to order lunch early and mentioning it would "take awhile" as it was prepared a la minute. Well, sorry, but no steak sandwich in the Universe is delicious enough to justify waiting 2 hours, and had we known it would take that long, we'd have decamped to the Colonnade for lunch!

Other than the food service issue, we thoroughly enjoyed our very relaxing day in the Retreat. We would indulge again if the food situation improves.

A question for those onboard now: are you finding the walls between suites are thinner than on the other ships, or do we just have extraordinarily deaf neighbors? We can hear the televisions blasting on both sides of us. One of our neighbors apparently watches television 24/7. :-/

Noise from other cabins on Encore? We are on deck 7 and hear almost nothing ever.

Old topic: free101girl, Did you pay $350 for your Retreat day? And if I had the temerity to walk by the outside perimeter of the Retreat on the port or starboard side of deck 12 would you mind?

The man maths is kicking in here. A couple of bottles of Bolly, a $50 Spa credit, all of a sudden it doesn't seem so bad !!

The people I spoke to who used the Retreat - 3 occasions no less said that for them it was a worthwhile experience.

When the topic was first raised on here I was against it, did it spoil our time on Encore? No, not one bit - we had plenty to be getting on with to be worrying about what was happening on that bit of deck 12.

If you already get a laundry bag a week through your club membership rewards why would you waste your time using the laundry? I missed having an iron but ironing takes no time at all and is the easiest bit to install retrospectively. Even as lowly silver members we used our benefit package to get a couple of loads of washing / ironing done free of charge.

I am going to say that this Encore cruise was probably our best yet so I find talk of reducing standards by Seabourn top brass confusing. I left the ship feeling Seabourn had delivered on their promises and a bit more.

Ultimately we all want different things out of a SB cruise. From my observations I'm conscious that we are very easy going and undemanding compared to many who cruise the line. If you go with the flow and don't try to push water uphill it's a pretty good product in anyone's book.

Henry :)

And if I had the temerity to walk by the outside perimeter of the Retreat on the port or starboard side of deck 12 would you mind?

You are arguing the toss over a couple of tiny slivers of deck space which are of little use. If it allows privacy to users of the retreat, particularly celebrity users then allow them their peace.

If you say I am "arguing", and you want to introduce "slivers of deck space" as a means of demeaning the scope and logic of my position, then why not also admit you have swallowed the "celebrity" hype of an "us and them" class ship. Which you introduced.

I reiterate: This is Seabourn, a one class ship. If you want to retreat for pampering, refuge (or whatever) to the Retreat, please do so. But since Seabourn Encore has far less outside deck space per passenger than Odyssey, Sojourn and Encore - and has 150 more passengers - for those of us that are used to unrestricted deck space in the same areas i.e. deck 5 on all the ships and the top deck (11 on the Ody class) and 12 on Encore, blocking the space alongside this "retreat" is indeed damaging and unfair, to those of us who care about the matter. That's the point. As in Seabourn should cater for all its passengers - VIP, celebrity, celebrity wannabe or not - as it has traditionally done.

Ditto in large part for removing the golf driving net, putting green and shuffle board from deck 12. Eliminating these areas favor the Retreat was, in my opinion, a poor decision. Fortunately they remain available on the Ody class ships.

Whether or not Seabourn keeps this Retreat, changes it or abandons it is their business. Obviously, for those that like deck access for walking and deck sports, I would suggest that Seabourn Encore, in its current iteration, is not for them. Or if you can do without generous deck access and sports for a while, then consider Encore for one week cruises out of Miami and Barcelona, but certainly not for longer voyages.

Personally, I hope Seabourn gets some religion and reestablish deck access for all around its perimeter. Hey, maybe Seabourn can add some more plastic potted plants to prevent those would would pass by from their intrusive peeping and nosing about the ship.

We will be taking our first cruise on Encore in March and so are willing to wait and see if these issues have the same negative impact they seem to have for others. So far, the lack of pax laundry facilities seems a much greater inconvenience than lack of deck space caused by the Retreat, but we shall see.

If Encore doesn't live up to its name and we decide we won't try again, we are still looking forward to a couple more cruises on Odyssey and Sojourn respectively later this year and early next unless Seabourn has similar "plans" for these ships too.

Markham.

We spent 34 days aboard Encore, almost twice our previous longest cruise. I think we had 6 days at sea on 1 leg and when we disembarked at Singapore I genuinely wanted to stay on board for longer so I do think your rhetoric is exaggerated particularly when you suggest Encore is only good for 7 day cruises. Any truth in your argument is washed away by making such a rediculous claim.

Table tennis still exists, shuffleboard exists or is in the process of being introduced depending on how court marking out is proceeding and I'm not sure about your claims of vastly reduced deck space.

The area around the pool is larger, deck 5 and 7 aft are larger, there is a new area deck 10 aft & side of the gym, new areas deck 11 aft of the pool, new areas on deck 11 & 12 forward of the pool and the forward area on deck 7 has increased and improved seating / lounging.

Every suite now has a varandha with sun beds - previously there were some with windows only.

I'm really not sure that Encore has the reduced outdoor capacity you claim.

The argument over a single class society we will have to agree to disagree. On Sojourn people paid to use the retreat equivalent aft on deck 11 and some people got bigger wine glasses in the dining room if they paid for them. This time we got them for free in the TK Grill so I could pretend I was living the dream for a couple of hours. They even let me use the Retreat bar man at TK :)

I have no desire to prolong the debate or have you lose any love for me as a human being but I do think you might be seeing this disproportionally.

If you say I am "arguing", and you want to introduce "slivers of deck space" as a means of demeaning the scope and logic of my position, then why not also admit you have swallowed the "celebrity" hype of an "us and them" class ship. Which you introduced.

I reiterate: This is Seabourn, a one class ship. If you want to retreat for pampering, refuge (or whatever) to the Retreat, please do so. But since Seabourn Encore has far less outside deck space per passenger than Odyssey, Sojourn and Encore - and has 150 more passengers - for those of us that are used to unrestricted deck space in the same areas i.e. deck 5 on all the ships and the top deck (11 on the Ody class) and 12 on Encore, blocking the space alongside this "retreat" is indeed damaging and unfair, to those of us who care about the matter. That's the point. As in Seabourn should cater for all its passengers - VIP, celebrity, celebrity wannabe or not - as it has traditionally done.

Ditto in large part for removing the golf driving net, putting green and shuffle board from deck 12. Eliminating these areas favor the Retreat was, in my opinion, a poor decision. Fortunately they remain available on the Ody class ships.

Whether or not Seabourn keeps this Retreat, changes it or abandons it is their business. Obviously, for those that like deck access for walking and deck sports, I would suggest that Seabourn Encore, in its current iteration, is not for them. Or if you can do without generous deck access and sports for a while, then consider Encore for one week cruises out of Miami and Barcelona, but certainly not for longer voyages.

Personally, I hope Seabourn gets some religion and reestablish deck access for all around its perimeter. Hey, maybe Seabourn can add some more plastic potted plants to prevent those would would pass by from their intrusive peeping and nosing about the ship.

No putting green or shuffleboard? That is a shame. Really enjoyed the many contests and practice rounds on our long, lone voyage.

You seem to prefer Encore and I don't. I get it. So yes, let's agree to disagree about our feelings...

I have tried repeatedly to explain certain particular and specific weaknesses of this ship from my point of view. Yet you seem to confuse and/or misunderstand them, based on your responses. So I will note certain keywords in capitals:

The Odyssey class ships have a capacity of 450 while Encore holds 600.

I said the WALKING area of deck 5 is smaller and there in no access for WALKING on deck 12. This is factual; and

I did not comment on the obvious improvement of balconies for all, the size and scope of the dining and Seabourn Square SEATING areas on decks 7, 8 and 9 aft (which would be expected for a ship serving 150 more passengers), or who should or should not feel free to use the Retreat on Encore. I would not even mention the Retreat if I thought deck 12 was a SMART and FAIR use of space and/or walkers would be allowed to pass by it. It is a fact that Encore's "Retreat" is a very large area, much larger than the similarly positioned deck space allocated on the other ships for their 2 golf and 2 shuffleboard facilities. These sports areas have been DISCARDED for the HANDFUL of passengers who might use the Retreat. These recreation areas have NOT been replicated elsewhere.

There are at least 80 - or 15% or so - more passengers on Encore now than when you were on board. So the space per passenger IS much less, and one consequence is that the availability of seating in the TK bar, which serves as The Club for the under-patronized Club, is just plain inadequate.

Bottom line: I would expect Encore to extend the size and scope of ALL passenger facilities proportionately on a ship carries 600 passengers, 150 more than the other ships. But with no passenger laundry, the Club being much smaller and there being much, much less deck space for recreation, it does not. So for me it's not an interesting a ship for an extended cruise unless it's far from full and if I have a choice. Fortunately, I do.

Seabourn can make adjustments to the Club and the Retreat with a refit if it chooses to do either before or after Ovation. I hope Ovation will avoid these obvious drawbacks and mistakes.

Looking at the retreat and listening to Markham and AS Henry

I cannot see why anybody even if you had more money then sense would want to sit or lie in a cabana with a large screen TV and try to relax whilst others around them might be doing the same in their cabanas with their TVs playing different programmes or music.

Why oh why would you not do this in a your own suite.

My thoughts exactly - and no laundry? What has got into Seabourn management, that's just mad as well as inconvenient. I have met and chatted some very nice people while ironing my finery.

Markham

I enjoyed my time on Encore that is true but I want to make sure anyone reading this thread is provided with balanced information. To that end I still feel suggesting that Encore only works for 7 days cruises is wrong.

If you used deck 12 as a walking / jogging track going down the side of the Retreat, across the front of the forward sunbeds, back down the other side of the retreat and across the narrow seating area on deck 12 forward of the swimming pool you would seriously impact on anyone trying to enjoy relaxing on that narrow area forward of the swimming pool.

You would also be pounding the roof of the suites on deck 11.

Am I not correct in thinking that shuffleboard is either installed or being installed on deck 5 outside decks ?

The putting green has been lost as has the golf practice net. I did hear muted tones about a golf simulator being planned at some point which would be a vast improvement over the putting area and basic net. Were that to be true and shuffleboard put on deck 5 I think you would have restored everything lost to the dreaded Retreat.

My biggest gripe on Encore was the relative lack of shade when dining at the Patio Grill and potential for wind now people are seated away from the protection of the forward bulkheads. An alternative lay just metres away in the form of the Colonnade so our cruise was never ruined.

My thoughts exactly - and no laundry? What has got into Seabourn management, that's just mad as well as inconvenient. I have met and chatted some very nice people while ironing my finery.

As has been mentioned previously the TVs are served by wireless headsets and so are silent to other cabana users.

Oh brother...

It is my opinion that Encore is better suited to very short cruises due to its drawbacks. You CANNOT dismiss my opinion as "wrong" because, inter alia, my opinion does not BELONG to you to denigrate.

How I might walk across deck 12, how I might impact other passengers (including those who routinely see walkers on deck 10 above and around the swimming pool), and the notion that my walking creates "pounding" on lower decks is ludicrous. Has anyone, ANYONE, occupying deck 10 cabins on the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest complained about walking on the open deck 11 and golf putting, golf driving and shuffle board?!?

You have stated repeatedly you are an out of Athens December, 2016 - Jan. 7! 2017 cheerleader. Perhaps you have a vested interest in the Encore's status quo that might be revealed?

Anyway, and as Seabourn senior management have confirmed in the days since we left Singapore, changes to Encore will obviously have to be made. This ship, and its successor, are a work in PROGRESS. And I expect that they will in the coming months, some with dry dock, given the NEGATIVE customer feedback on the laundry, Club and Retreat, INCLUDING mine about restricting access to the perimeter of deck 12 (which stands on its own terms despite what you claim might be the damage to the Retreat clients' sensibilities).

As a Diamond Elite member as of the end of this month, I would expect nothing less of Seabourn. And since I have choice I will be pleased to join the Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn, during the next 12 months for extended duration cruises.

That's MY choice. Just as you make yours.

Noise from other cabins on Encore? We are on deck 7 and hear almost nothing ever.

I guess we're just unlucky.

Old topic: free101girl, Did you pay $350 for your Retreat day? And if I had the temerity to walk by the outside perimeter of the Retreat on the port or starboard side of deck 12 would you mind?

Yes, we paid $350.

I didn't see anything preventing anyone from walking around the perimeter. In any case I doubt seriously we'd have been aware of anyone ouside the Retreat once ensconced in our cabana.

Edited by free101girl