Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

Seabourn is part of Carnival and the size of ships, number of passengers and revenue to the Corporation comes from the larger ships. If you watch as the schedules come out for the second half of 2018 you will see that they schedule the larger ships first into the better ports. Carnival probably reserves space in ports around the World using its Corporate size to get the best rates. Seabourn is always the last to come out with schedules. Seabourn operations are now handled by Holland America and they are in the process of merging Holland America and Princess together.

Reminded me of the SA cruise also. Are you thinking of Richards Bay? That was the one with the largest coal terminal in the world right on the port side of Sojourn. Overnight too!

That's the one,I'm still trying to get the coal dust out of my clothes [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mangalore made Richards Bay look like a world heritage site! The tower was belching out stuff directly at us every now & again throughout the day. The coal heaps seemed to have smoke rising off them. It may have been steam but it looked like smoke.

Clouds of black dust kept getting churned up by the lorries. I didn't film it because I've enjoyed the cruise and I try to see the positive in my videos. As we had afternoon tea the contrast between the observation lounge and Armageddon drifting past outside was quite spectacular. There were no must see excursions to be had. We left around 3.00pm.

Cochin was a world apart. Had a few hours driving around with a lovely chap then he waited by a nearby hotel resort where we had an Indian lunch and a dip in the pool. Driver and air conditioned car was $30 for the day. He actually agreed at $25 which is what the bloke in Seabourn Square said it should be but we gave him 2,600 rupees to clear out our Indian money so he ended up a bit better off. Still a bargain for 5 hours.

Henry :)

Henry,

Thank you very much for the updates. We are enjoying your posts and are looking forward to our sailing on the Encore from Sydney to Singapore in March.

It all looks wonderful and we can't wait.

I do have a question. Did I read here that everyone is entitled to 2 reservations at the TK Grill per each sailing?

We are on two B2B segments for a total of 26 days - although they are booked as one booking - and I was able to make only a single reservation at the TK Grill for the entire voyage. Does that sound correct?

Thank you again and please keep up your great reports and pictures - they are most welcome.

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

In response to Paulchili. We are on a three week sailing from Athens to Rome next May. It is in fact three separate one weeks cruises. It is unclear to us if Seabourn Society benefits, to which we are Platinum, will give us for example three bags of laundry or just one but also three Internet benefits or just one. The rules that I have read are unclear on this. Also we have sonly been able to reserve TK for one evening in the entire three weeks! Maybe we should have booked each week as a separate cruise, but what the hell!

Edited by eliana

Eliana we have just experienced this length of cruise of 3 x 7 day itineraries on Odysseyin 2016. We were not happy with our 1 bag of laundry and made sure it was noted . Thank heavens for the laundry on deck 5 we managed to keep sweet smelling and reasonably pressed.

Eliana we have just experienced this length of cruise of 3 x 7 day itineraries on Odysseyin 2016. We were not happy with our 1 bag of laundry and made sure it was noted . Thank heavens for the laundry on deck 5 we managed to keep sweet smelling and reasonably pressed.

But no passenger laundry on Encore, correct?

Thanks Sandy. Relieved about the laundry, particularly as there appear to be no clothes washing machines for passengers on the Encore. Cannot understand why the internet is per cruise irrespective of its length. Maybe Seabourn would agree to treating our three week cruise as three separate cruises!

Henry,

Thank you very much for the updates. We are enjoying your posts and are looking forward to our sailing on the Encore from Sydney to Singapore in March.

It all looks wonderful and we can't wait.

I do have a question. Did I read here that everyone is entitled to 2 reservations at the TK Grill per each sailing?

We are on two B2B segments for a total of 26 days - although they are booked as one booking - and I was able to make only a single reservation at the TK Grill for the entire voyage. Does that sound correct?

Thank you again and please keep up your great reports and pictures - they are most welcome.

Paul

My understanding is that you will be able to book 2 meals there per 2 week cruise.

I wouldn't be too worried about pre-booking the TK Grill. The staff seem to manage capacity and guest expectations well. We have been accommodated as walk in guests once during this trip. When asking I said I was fully understanding if they didn't have space.

The service can be a little slow to get going in TK but you don't go there to rush in and rush out and the staff are all great including the chefs who finish off food at the table. We ate there 3 times in the first 2 weeks and so far have been once during this 2 week segment.

Although you didn't ask Sushi operates on a first come first served basis. We have always been able to get a table when we want to eat dinner there. We went a couple of nights ago. The staff are really lovely and it has a real fun atmosphere. Don't be put off if you don't know your way around the menu, they will hold your hand and make suggestions. It isn't in any way pretentious.

Dear AS H

Here in Brisbane, Australia my wife and I have just this morning discovered your marvellous posts. Spent an hour or so reading aloud your posts as they further enhanced our appetite for the journey to come.

Your contributions are both wryly amusing, very well composed and perfectly informative - a rare combination in any form of travel writing, one usually receives one and not the others. And your video of the Encore puts Seabourn's rated dated and odd library of renders and over-Photoshopped Encore shots to shame. (Perhaps the recent loss of 2 of their most senior executives to Windstar has muddled their marketing a bit.)

We join the Encore for the Inaugural on January 7 after experiencing our first Seabourn cruise to Sth America and Antarctica a year ago and that was (mostly) a terrific experience.

Will you be alighting in Singapore? We hope not but if so I sense you'll be missed by all aboard and us as we join.

I echo numerous others in thanking you for such a distinguished contribution to communication to all who arrive here now and those who will do so for many years to come.

Richard

Wow I'm humbled. Is that you Dad? I didn't know you were au fair with Internet forums :)

Thanks for the very kind words. We get off at Singapore I'm afraid but leave the ship in good condition with an excellent crew. The restaurant and bar staff in particular have been really friendly and helpful. Loads of the guys & girls address us by name and there is a genuine warmth in their approach.

House entertainment teams are spot on, watch out for Johnathan, he's a character and fills up any space with good spirit. Handré & Jaqueline have cruise directing duties off to a fine art. You will enjoy the feature shows, we had the Tim Rice story yesterday.

Last night the New Year was seen in with a bang - well a ring of the ship's bell actually. A lovely meal in the dining room, the Tim Rice Story, a deck party and of course the odd drink through until just before 3.00am. The crew really pulled out all the stops rearranging areas and making provision just in case the weather didn't play ball.

Today has been a mixture of bridge (the card game) where what we lack in skill we make up for in humour. I know you aren't suppose to laugh playing bridge but amongst friends we've had great fun. I'm nowhere near there yet but occasionally there is a dim flicker and the Bridge lecturer has the patience of a saint.

Ended up playing board games as it was raining outside, I must edit up the rest of the video with footage from India. Looking forward to Japanese evening in the Colonnade. I was sold at lobster tempura. What with the lobster last night I'm setting myself up for a hell of a bump when reality hits us on January 7th :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

You have done a fine job ASH keeping us informed. My wife and I are also Joining Encore on Jan 7 for 42 days to Auckland.

We were on one of the early cruises on Regent Explorer which is a very beautiful ship, but we are looking forward to getting back on Seabourn and are pleased that Handre is on board. We last sailed with him on Quest with Northern Europe cruise Iceland, Greenland etc disembarking in Montreal in 2014. He is an excellent CD and a very accomplished piano player.

We were on the Regent Explorer maiden voyage last July (review posted) and will board SB Encore for Sydney-Singapore in March. I will certainly be interested to compare the two first hand and will try to be objective, but based on what I've seen/read so far I'm pretty confident we will prefer Encore as a less gaudy, understated but still classy lady. Unlike some, we don't equate eye-watering tacky bling with "luxury".

Eclipse?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, maybe they were just far sighted :).

There's a new ultra-lux Eclipse coming in mid-2018 - the Scenic Eclipse from the Australian group Scenic that's become surprisingly large and successful in global river cruising.

For those of the more expeditioning bent - as we are - this ship promises to be something special with its own on-board helicopters and submarine. It could be fabulous in the Antarctic and Arctic regions where, inter alia, it's headed.

If anyone's interested, this video is worth a look:

My understanding is that you will be able to book 2 meals there per 2 week cruise.

I wouldn't be too worried about pre-booking the TK Grill. The staff seem to manage capacity and guest expectations well. We have been accommodated as walk in guests once during this trip. When asking I said I was fully understanding if they didn't have space.

The service can be a little slow to get going in TK but you don't go there to rush in and rush out and the staff are all great including the chefs who finish off food at the table. We ate there 3 times in the first 2 weeks and so far have been once during this 2 week segment.

Although you didn't ask Sushi operates on a first come first served basis. We have always been able to get a table when we want to eat dinner there. We went a couple of nights ago. The staff are really lovely and it has a real fun atmosphere. Don't be put off if you don't know your way around the menu, they will hold your hand and make suggestions. It isn't in any way pretentious.

Thank you Henry.

I am sure we will be just fine and won't starve.

Paul

We were on the Regent Explorer maiden voyage last July (review posted) and will board SB Encore for Sydney-Singapore in March. I will certainly be interested to compare the two first hand and will try to be objective, but based on what I've seen/read so far I'm pretty confident we will prefer Encore as a less gaudy, understated but still classy lady. Unlike some, we don't equate eye-watering tacky bling with "luxury".

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on Encore. From what I've seen of Explorer it looks very vulgar bling. Not my idea of luxury at all.