Please help me understand Anthem dining

suamom

We are cruising Anthem in March. I am very confused about the dining. We have been on 24 cruises and like the traditional late dining with formal nights. Usually do a night at Chops or Portofinos, as well.

We are booked for late seating on the Anthem sailing. Are there traditional dining rooms? How do the other restaurants factor in....I would like to book a few of them before we sail but I do not understand how it works.

Any help would be appreciated

There is no large MDR on Anthem. Instead, there are 4 smaller MDRs (restaurants). Two of these restaurants will be used for traditional diners, so you will have an assigned table and dedicated waiters in one of these rooms. The other two restaurants will be used for MTD.

So, there are 4 smaller dining rooms...are those the restaurants we can book..or the tradition RC menu?

You cannot book a specific room. You will be assigned to one of the rooms. Each room has the same Main Dining Room menu.

The four small MDRs are Chic & The Grande on deck 3 for traditional dinning with early and late seating. American Icon & Silk on deck 4 are for MTD. You can book early or late Traditional or MTD when you book your cruise as you have on all your past cruises. About 6 months out, if you booked MTD, you can schedule what times you want for MTD. You don't have to schedule your MTD dining times if you don't want to. MTD has a walk up line for those without reservations. This line seemed to move fairly quickly, my observations as I am concluding a 12N cruise on Anthem.

The menus have new choices on them that change every night, but also includes a section called "Classics" which is the same every night. The lunch menu in the MDR on sea days alternated between two and was in The Grande on deck 3.

Specialty Restaurants, at additional cost, can be booked on line or when you get on the ship.

Edited by WeatherFx

You cannot book a specific room. You will be assigned to one of the rooms. Each room has the same Main Dining Room menu.

If using MTD, will I be able to make a reservation at either of the MTD rooms, or will I be assigned to one particular restaurant for the entire cruise? I see that the Silk and American Icon are the MTD rooms.

Are the speciality restaurants difficult to get reservations once we board? Do you recommend buying the 3-4 restaurant package online before we board?

We do not like MTD so we are scheduled for late seating, as of right now.

If using MTD, will I be able to make a reservation at either of the MTD rooms, or will I be assigned to one particular restaurant for the entire cruise? I see that the Silk and American Icon are the MTD rooms.

You likely will be in the same room which is assigned. We were in American Icon for all 12N. I said likely, because a couple at the table next to us ended up in both Icon & Silk... though they were walk-ups without reservations.

Edited by WeatherFx

Are the speciality restaurants difficult to get reservations once we board? Do you recommend buying the 3-4 restaurant package online before we board?

I can't recommend online or onboard as being better. We booked BoGo online and then changed restaurants once we boarded with no problems. If you wait to do it onboard, I would suggest booking asap to get preferred times.

Edited by WeatherFx

We embark on anthem in one week, and have the bogo. When and where will we see which restaurants were assigned? How and where do we change them if necessary? Thank you for any info.

You will see your assignments when you get to your stateroom. Go to any specialty restaurant to try to make changes.

Just looking for some clarification. We have been on many cruises, but this is our second Royal cruise and I know changes have been happening on the Anthem in regards to dining.

So, if I read the above posts correctly, you will be assigned an early or late seating just like most of the other cruises out there.... Then My Time Dining is another optional dining option you can sign up for if the traditional assigned dining times do not fit your needs....?

Correct?

Just looking for some clarification. We have been on many cruises, but this is our second Royal cruise and I know changes have been happening on the Anthem in regards to dining.

So, if I read the above posts correctly, you will be assigned an early or late seating just like most of the other cruises out there.... Then My Time Dining is another optional dining option you can sign up for if the traditional assigned dining times do not fit your needs....?

Correct?

No, you will be assigned an early or late seating, OR My Time. You would've picked one of the 3 options when you booked your cruise. You can check what you have on your cruise planner

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser