How to upgrade from interior to balcony

jermeg

I've booked a gauranteed cabin a couple times and have had no issues. I've also read about many people doing the same and having no issues. You should avoid making blanket statements that aren't always true.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Agreed. We have only booked a guaranteed balcony once and we ended up with a great room on Lido deck. Of course after that one experience we continue to want to book balcony rooms but the prices have been much higher lately. Maybe someday

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We booked a guaranty once and would never do it again. We did it because we were booking relatively close to sailing and the cabins we would normally choose were booked. It was a balcony guaranty and only $100 less than choosing a cabin. Since there really weren't any we would have chosen, we gambled on the guaranty.

We ended up not finding out our cabin number until 2 days before sailing. Looking back it was kind of a comedy of errors, but at the time, I saw no humor in it. When we boarded the ship, there was no confirmation for our Steak House dinner for the first night. I called and was told they showed we had a different cabin number. Ok, that was fixed.

We were to have an OBC from our TA. No OBC. We also were sent a bottle of champagne. No champagne. Down to guest services and explained what "might have" happened with a different cabin number. Yup, our OBC was given to someone else as was our champagne.

We were told not to worry though, they would take care of things for us and they did. First night, all night carts were rolling overhead as we were below the Lido. Ok, we will sleep in and not worry about it. Bad idea! We were also across the hall from the steward's pantry, so stewards were filling ice buckets and talking before 7AM.

We didn't complain because we booked a guaranty and knew we would be assigned whatever cabin Carnival chose for us. Had we gotten the original cabin assigned to us, it would have been far better, but my guess is that someone paid full price and got that cabin. I learned my lesson. Never again will I book a guaranty.

I do realize not everyone has problems and that's the chance we took. If I can't pick a cabin that I feel will be ok, I will choose a different cruise. It's definitely not worth it to me to do another guaranty.

I only booked a guarantee cabin one time on a different cruise line. Turned out okay as I got deck 8 midship so I got lucky. But it is risky to book guarantee unless you are perfectly fine being placed above/below a club with the booming base drums til wee hours of the morning. Now I know I want a cabin above, below and on each side of me and not across from anything noisy like clubs/elevators/stairs etc. So I pick my cabin. I personally like all classes of cabins. Insides have their plus's when you want lots of sleeping in total darkness. Balconies are often a waste of money because its too cold for me when I cruise to be outside when the ship is moving but being in ports is nice. I rarely get oceanview. My cruise this February I got a aft balcony but usually have no problem with an inside cabin. They are smaller though.

To each their own, we would not sail without a balcony, to say they're a waste of money is your opinion. I never had an inside, but our son had one and it was a coffin to us. He loved it so he could sleep until noon. Why would a balcony cabin be colder than an inside cabin, makes no sense.

To each their own, we would not sail without a balcony, to say they're a waste of money is your opinion. I never had an inside, but our son had one and it was a coffin to us. He loved it so he could sleep until noon. Why would a balcony cabin be colder than an inside cabin, makes no sense.

Well, on an Alaska cruise, that would be truthful. ;)

Sorry but I meant sitting on a balcony in the winter is not pleasurable. Now docked in port isn't bad but o don't want to wear a coat to sit and drink coffee on my balcony but I am from Arizona and don't like the cold. I enjoy insides but if I can afford a balcony then I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but I meant sitting on a balcony in the winter is not pleasurable. Now docked in port isn't bad but o don't want to wear a coat to sit and drink coffee on my balcony but I am from Arizona and don't like the cold. I enjoy insides but if I can afford a balcony then I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When cruising from the Gulf you're cruising to places that aren't exactly cold in winter. Balcony is fine weather wise. Don't know if I'd want one in Alaska though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When cruising from the Gulf you're cruising to places that aren't exactly cold in winter. Balcony is fine weather wise. Don't know if I'd want one in Alaska though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is cold to someone from northeast isn't the same for someone from Arizona. Arizonan's wear jackets when temps are below 65 LOL.

I never thought I would like interior cabins, but I have to say, they're not bad. I find that when I'm in an interior cabin, I tend to spend much more time out on the Lido and feel more like I'm on a cruise when I'm in an interior - and you can't beat an afternoon nap in a totally dark cabin.

Exactly. I like inside cabins fine. We don't tend to spend a lot of time there, unless we are sleeping/napping. Unfortunately, my wife has a different opinion. She says she wants some natural light, so at least an oceanview for her.

To me, the oceanview is no better than an inside, it just costs more. You aren't going to spend more time in your cabin just because you can look out a dingy salt encrusted window, so an OV seems a waste of money to me. I'd either go inside or jump all the way to balcony. Needless to say, we end up not doing insides but sometimes doing oceanviews, showing how much influence my opinions have.:)

As for a guarantee, I suspect they used to be a better gamble than they are now. You might get the same category cabin, but in one of the less preferable locations. Or you might get an upgrade to a higher category. Presumably, since they are doing a lot more upsells now than in the past, they give a lot fewer free upgrades. Why give something away for free if they can get even $50 for it?

Though the free upgrades do sometimes benefit them. We always booked insides until we once got an upgrade to a balcony. From then on, my wife decreed "No more insides", so their generosity on one cruise more than paid itself back on subsequent ones.

Edited by Earthworm Jim