Gratuties Compulsory All Sailings after 15 January 2017.

and I don't think it is because more Aussies than other nationalities are removing grats. Generally we believe in a fair go and giving employees a decent wage (law in Australia). Here is a comparison of countries from 2016 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/minimum-wage-how-does-australia-compare/7461794

I suspect the move is because many are not used to tipping and the other cruise lines have already made it easier for their customers (and their staff) by making it automatic.

I'm inclined to agree

i am a single parent travelling with 3 kids on a 7 night cruise.

my son has aspergers so we mainly stay in the room so tend to scrimp to get a balcony. the only other place we go is the buffet and the gym as he likes the treadmill. i think last time i went to a couple of shows myself but stayed in room watching videos, playing games and looking at view of norwegian fjords mainly.

to me the gratuities will be a large extension on the cost when onboard and i have never taken them off but have considered it and wondered what would be acceptable but dont like to make a fuss or am not an assertive person myself.

could be said dont cruise if you cant afford it but i have limited mobility so this is easiest way to take kids on holiday by myself.

i dont go in dining rooms, use pools, attend get togethers or entertainment venues so feel i dont get the same service as alot on board although my choice.

any thoughts please.

my son has aspergers so we mainly stay in the room so tend to scrimp to get a balcony. the only other place we go is the buffet and the gym as he likes the treadmill. i think last time i went to a couple of shows myself but stayed in room watching videos, playing games and looking at view of norwegian fjords mainly.

to me the gratuities will be a large extension on the cost when onboard and i have never taken them off but have considered it and wondered what would be acceptable but dont like to make a fuss or am not an assertive person myself.

could be said dont cruise if you cant afford it but i have limited mobility so this is easiest way to take kids on holiday by myself.

i dont go in dining rooms, use pools, attend get togethers or entertainment venues so feel i dont get the same service as alot on board although my choice.

any thoughts please.

Tips include buffet staff and your room Steward, so I say leave the auto tips alone and you're done.

any thoughts please.

Many of the things you listed have nothing to do with gratuities (pools, entertainment, get together) but the room attendant and buffet staff that you do use are covered by it, so I would leave it in place. You could remove the dining room gratuities and then tip in cash each time you used the buffet but that seems like a lot of extra work for not much reason.

Tips include buffet staff and your room Steward, so I say leave the auto tips alone and you're done.

Tips Do not include the buffet staff. The assistant waiters there rotate in the dining room and only then do they so participate. While in the Windjammer they only receive a base pay. All others in the Windjammer get a salary.

All of my cruises have been on charters which means that the gratuities are paid up front with the cruise fare. My experience has been that even though all of the ship's crew knows that the gratuities are pre-paid, I haven't ever had bad service on any of the five different lines I've cruised. In fact, most of the crew treat us very well because our charters are adults only and for the most part a very easy going lot who like to party and just have fun. I've seen several times where the crew was actually crying/very sad as we were all disembarking because our charter was much more pleasant than their usual crowd. So for those who say making pre-paid gratuities may lead to bad service I say "hog wash"--it's all in how you treat the crew and you will be treated similarly in return

• 5 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread...

I have just booked a cruise for late 2018,, from Australia, direct with RCCL on the phone.

I forgot to ask to prepay the gratuities and I can't see any reference to gratuities on any paperwork, invoices, 'mycruises' online etc. Is this what is to be expected now? It is completely hidden in the price not mentioned at all, if you're booking from Oz?

All bookings made in Australia include gratuities. Haven't checked what's on paperwork, but there's no possibility of gratuities not being included so it's a moot point.

Thank you, that's reassuring. I just was worried we'd have an unexpected charge eating into our spending money.

Thanks again.

HKA

Sorry for resurrecting this thread...

I have just booked a cruise for late 2018,, from Australia, direct with RCCL on the phone.

I forgot to ask to prepay the gratuities and I can't see any reference to gratuities on any paperwork, invoices, 'mycruises' online etc. Is this what is to be expected now? It is completely hidden in the price not mentioned at all, if you're booking from Oz?

Have a look at all the new Australian T & C,s on the RCI website. You will see that Clause 4 and 22 covers any queries you may have re service charges/gratuities/tips or whatever anyone prefers to call them. The link to both New Zealand and the Australian terms can be found at the bottom right side of of the home page. Hope that helps..

Sue and Phil

Have a look at all the new Australian T & C,s on the RCI website. You will see that Clause 4 and 22 covers any queries you may have re service charges/gratuities/tips or whatever anyone prefers to call them. The link to both New Zealand and the Australian terms can be found at the bottom right side of of the home page. Hope that helps..

Sue and Phil

Very helpful, thank you very much!