Misbehavior in Steakhouse

A&Jfamily

On Carnival Dream last year, my 10 year old granddaughter came to dinner in the SteakHouse with me and her parents. As a matter of fact, we went twice. There was no children's menu and she ordered from the adult menu.

She has been to many fine restaurants and has been taken to restaurants from when she was 1 year old and on. She sits quietly and enjoys her meals. On our next cruise she will again be going to the SteakHouse. I totally enjoy having her go out to dinner with us as she is a real foodie.

When she was about a year or so, if she mis-behaved, she and my son went out for a chat. She returned after a few minutes and was good for the rest of the meal. I am a firm believer that taking young children out to eat, not specifically fine restaurants, gives them the necessary skills they need to develop for their future. Manners, for many, is a lost art.

I think that part of your post says a lot....You apparently have a well behaved child (not that you are biased :rolleyes:) but other 6 year olds aren't....Just because "its your cruise" doesn't mean you should negatively impact other peoples vacations in a negative way

I think the OP said his kids were older, so hopefully they are well behaved...but you never know in this day and age:D Obviously, I would never take my child somewhere like a nice restaurant if he were not well-behaved. Would be so stressful for me, as well as other guests. I guess I just assume others would do the same. After reading some of these posts, though, I am starting to doubt it.

I'm happy your 6 year old was well behaved at dinner. I don't agree with your last statement which indicates that as long as you are happy that you don't care about your fellow cruisers- not a becoming attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never said I do not care about my fellow cruisers. If the OP wants to take his teenage kids to the Steakhouse it is his right. There seems to be a lot of anticipatory grieving on this thread. If you want an adults only steakhouse then Carnival is not the place for you to cruise. Plain and simple. People with children should not be afraid to take advantage of the perks....just like everyone else on the cruise who happen to not have kids. I never said let your kids run around screaming. I simply stated what is true. It is his right and he should exercise it should he so choose. Hopefully he would make sure they are well-behaved. Children are, after-all, reflections of their parents. :eek:

I think the OP said his kids were older, so hopefully they are well behaved...but you never know in this day and age:D Obviously, I would never take my child somewhere like a nice restaurant if he were not well-behaved. Would be so stressful for me, as well as other guests. I guess I just assume others would do the same. After reading some of these posts, though, I am starting to doubt it.

And what you state is absolutely true and common sense. My 2 children have turned out to be fine adults (yes, I am biased :D)....When they were 6-10, they were absolute DEMONS as far as sitting down for a meal longer than 30 mins....You know the solution to that....WE DIDNT TAKE THEM TO NICE RESTAURANTS!!!! It was Chuckie Cheese or a babysitter....Not only did I not want to risk ruining a night for other diners, it was too damn stressful to constantly say "stop playing with the fork....stop poking your brother....get up off the floor....don't throw the napkin....etc" I often wonder about the parents who drag their kids in a setting like this, is it really for the kids or is it more about what the parent wants :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

And what you state is absolutely true and common sense. My 2 children have turned out to be fine adults (yes, I am biased :D)....When they were 6-10, they were absolute DEMONS as far as sitting down for a meal longer than 30 mins....You know the solution to that....WE DIDNT TAKE THEM TO NICE RESTAURANTS!!!! It was Chuckie Cheese or a babysitter....Not only did I not want to risk ruining a night for other diners, it was too damn stressful to constantly say "stop playing with the fork....stop poking your brother....get up off the floor....don't throw the napkin....etc" I often wonder about the parents who drag their kids in a setting like this, is it really for the kids or is it more about what the parent wants :confused:

So true! I took my son because he specifically asked to go. I would not drag him there and pay the extra $35 if he was going to make it miserable for everyone, lol. He knew the rules before going in and followed them. If he had not, I would have immediately left with him. I cannot stand unruly children when I am trying to relax and enjoy a good meal. I guess he is the exception, though. Not that is has anything really to do with it, but I was raised in the South. If I didn't have manners, I was in for it- big time! That is how I raised him. I should realize that all parents are not concerned with that, though! :o

It all depends on the child. My two boys (5 and 8) would not do well. They can't sit still for long periods of time without getting antsy and they are very loud talkers! My 13 year old special needs daughter would be delighted and would do beautifully, polite and quiet and loves food!

The title of the OP was misbehavior in the Steakhouse, not kids in the steakhouse. My one negative time in the steakhouse was not because of children but a group of adults that I am sure had ever been to anything upscale. They were the louds ones, cursing and always calling the wait staff over to the table over stupid things. Never have had a problem with a family in there. Wish some adults were as well behaved as the children.

I think I would just gotten up and left , paying that kind of money for a meal and not being able to enjoy it would be ridiculous.

Edited by BoDidly

It was tempting but since we were already eating when they were seated and in those days the up charge was only $25 we decided to finish. Felt sorry for the staff. Hope that the manager finally said something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was a pretty heated thread about 6 months back discussing the new $10 kids menu in the Steakhouse. A lot of people indicated that they would no longer enjoy a meal there. Our boys are now 18 and 12 (he will be 13 in March) and we have decided that on the last night of the cruise we will all enjoy the Steakhouse. I for one am happy to see this menu because we are working on broadening his palette, but at 12, he cannot handle the sheer volume of food from the steakhouse and will enjoy the smaller 4 oz filet, while still being able to sample from the rest of us.

Go ahead and flame me if you like for taking my almost teen - but I am confident he is mature enough. What I really want to know if anyone has been and can report bad behavior of kids, in light of this new menu. I have seen first hand the poor behavior of adults in what "should" be a quiet, refined and relaxed atmosphere.

What's the point of this thread? Comparing a 12yr old to a 6 month old is idiotic. I remember the thread from ago. The main issue people had was with parents not knowing when to remove their child and instead just letting them be bratty snots.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

By eight or nine years of age children should know how to behave in a restaurant, if their parents teach them. If children misbehave it's up to the parents to cut the meal short and leave. Main dining room or steakhouse makes no difference. Good behaviour is expected in any restaurant. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of this thread? Comparing a 12yr old to a 6 month old is idiotic. I remember the thread from ago. The main issue people had was with parents not knowing when to remove their child and instead just letting them be bratty snots.

The original OP was just trying to find out about taking her children to the steakhouse and it quickly turned into this. It boils down to like you say is the parents. It is not the age as much as the upbringing. As I said I have seen adults being ruder than young children.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think a 12 year should be fine. I have no problems with younger kids if they are behaved, but please, if they start acting up, don't give them a second chance. Get them out of there! I feel that way about most places. Movies, grocery store, restaurants, if they are screaming and crying they should be taken out of the situation. It is not fair to the other customers or to them.

We think Carnival has the best Steakhouse at Sea. We try to have at least one meal there.

We have been dining when a large family group had small children who cried, older ones who wandered around..........

I am a granny. My grandchild cruises with us once a year. She is Six. Well behaved. Very bright. We will take her when she is twelve or so. Taught school for decades. Do not think children under 12 should get special rates so more small children will come. Small Children cannot sit that long. Their attention spans are too short.

People pay good money to eat there. it is or was an adult dining experience. Wait times can be long. I know I will get flamed but it seems The FEW get all of the breaks and the MANY get flamed.

When a couple on their honey moon has shelled out money for a fine dinner, a bottle or two of wine.........they have to sit there and listen to a sleepy toddler wail? No. I don't agree,

It all depends on the child. My two boys (5 and 8) would not do well. They can't sit still for long periods of time without getting antsy and they are very loud talkers! My 13 year old special needs daughter would be delighted and would do beautifully, polite and quiet and loves food!

EXACTLY.............your sons Excellent Point .their ATTENTION spans are not long enough to sit quietly through a meal that can have fairly long periods........YOUR Daughter , regardless of her special needs, has the attention span to do the dinner, enjoy it and be charming to all.

IT is MENTAL and PHYSICAL Development. A small child or an energetic primary child............it is not a pleasure. And it spoils everyone else's pleasure.

I am now going to be the Mean Old Granny of the Board

Edited by AmberTeka

We think Carnival has the best Steakhouse at Sea. We try to have at least one meal there.

We have been dining when a large family group had small children who cried, older ones who wandered around..........

I am a granny. My grandchild cruises with us once a year. She is Six. Well behaved. Very bright. We will take her when she is twelve or so. Taught school for decades. Do not think children under 12 should get special rates so more small children will come. Small Children cannot sit that long. Their attention spans are too short.

People pay good money to eat there. it is or was an adult dining experience. Wait times can be long. I know I will get flamed but it seems The FEW get all of the breaks and the MANY get flamed.

When a couple on their honey moon has shelled out money for a fine dinner, a bottle or two of wine.........they have to sit there and listen to a sleepy toddler wail? No. I don't agree,

One of the better post of the day icon14.gif

Parents need to know their child. When my daughter was two years old she could sit quietly and play with the salt, pepper and sugar and be a little angel. We had no problem bringing her with us to any restaurant. When my son came along (three years later) it was fast food for the next 10 years. [emoji16]

Parents need to know their child. When my daughter was two years old she could sit quietly and play with the salt, pepper and sugar and be a little angel. We had no problem bringing her with us to any restaurant. When my son came along (three years later) it was fast food for the next 10 years. [emoji16]

That's the frustrating part for the other cruisers. The parents do know their children and they know the kids can't manage proper behavior but the parents don't much care. Their kids are gonna to act out anyways so Mommy and Daddy might as well be eating a nice steak while watching the show.

It has been my experience, overall, on a cruise that it is the adults that misbehave more than the children ...

EXACTLY! Recent experience in one of the specialty restaurants ... There was a large (200+) group of adult women (30's to 50's) on board. The evening that we had booked a nice quiet window table for two some had booked several of the large tables. Maybe it was the alcohol ... but, most likely, just plain lack of manners and respect for others ... but all evening they carried on LOUD conversations - not just with their own tablemates but across the dining room between other tables. The evening deteriorated into tossing rolls between tables accompanied by loud laughter. The matre'd could not control the group and apologized profusely to the other diners. Needless to say, we were comp'd the meal and received a nice note and bottle of wine the following day. Give me a well behaved child any day!

EXACTLY.............your sons Excellent Point .their ATTENTION spans are not long enough to sit quietly through a meal that can have fairly long periods........YOUR Daughter , regardless of her special needs, has the attention span to do the dinner, enjoy it and be charming to all.

IT is MENTAL and PHYSICAL Development. A small child or an energetic primary child............it is not a pleasure. And it spoils everyone else's pleasure.

I am now going to be the Mean Old Granny of the Board

Heck, my 16 year old wouldn't be too delightful.:) His younger brother would be fine. The difference here is that my teenager would just ask to be excused and leave on his own when the sitting still got to be too much. He does that when the MDR gets too loud too. (He has some sensory processing issues.) When he was little DH and I took many restaurant meals in shifts.

The point of this thread is as stated...to ask a question. Namely, can anyone report bad behavior of CHILDREN in the steakhouse? The old thread had a lot of anticipatory concerns - I am trying to ascertain whether that ended up being fact. So far, the only reports I have heard are of adults misbehaving.

I included the age of my son in an attempt to AVOID all the flaming for people who would assume I was trying to take a toddler to a 2.5 hr meal.

It has been my experience, overall, on a cruise that it is the adults that misbehave more than the children. And, additionally, the children misbehaving is a direct result of the parents' being more concerned with drinking adult beverages and having 'me' time than in watching their children.

I completely agree with this!

I don't consider small children doing age appropriate things as bad behavior. Crying, impatience in having to sit through a long meal, etc. Small children are not bad for doing those things. Or rude. I just don't want to hear it in the Steakhouse or all the things us parents do to keep them content.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed with this!