Alaska cruise

TheCooksinCT

So we've decided on an Alaska cruise instead of a diy land vacation. Now the question.... 1 way or RT. I'm leaning towards 1 way since it's a 7 night cruise and want to get the most out of Alaska as we can and do as many excursions as we can. Thinking of ATVing, horseback tours, fishing excursions, flight seeing etc.

Question...

1) which ports give the most opportunity for these things.

2) if 1 way, what's the difference being north and south bound? I didn't see much difference in itineraries.

3) your opinion of best cruise ship. I'm leaning towards Princess, but not sure which ship.

Traveling July 2017

And the Princess board also to read last summers comments on Alaska cruises. Have done 2 RT's and booked for a Northbound 1 way this June. Mine have all been on HAL though. No matter what you choose or who you sail with, you will love the Alaska experience!

Have fun planning! And get a balcony if you can afford to do so. It's beautiful to sit out and enjoy the scenery and watch the whales cruise alongside the ship just off your balcony! It's like a whale freeway!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

I'm not convinced that you get that much more out of a one way than a round trip unless you are going to spend some time in AK either before or after your cruise. On a one way you will likely get four ports instead of three. One ways almost always go Hubbard glacier, seven day round trips never get there, but many go to Glacier Bay.

We prefer one ways flying into Anchorage, then spending a few days exploring that area or the Kenai before boarding the cruise and heading south then flying home from Vancouver.

Don't limit yourselves to the mass market lines sometimes you can find really good deals n Regent.

We have done all types of Alaskan cruises.

You need to check on air fare for the various sailings -- you will find that they are more expensive since you are flying into one port and leaving from another port.

If you do decide on not doing a round trip cruises, then fly to Anchorage or Whittier and do a land tour first and then the cruise heading south. Taking the cruise after the land tour gives you time to rest up.

You need to check on air fare for the various sailings -- you will find that they are more expensive since you are flying into one port and leaving from another port.

If you do decide on not doing a round trip cruises, then fly to Anchorage or Whittier and do a land tour first and then the cruise heading south. Taking the cruise after the land tour gives you time to rest up.

Not true on Domestic (and Vancouver BC). Alaska Air has the most flights, with Delta have a few. Mix and match in Alaska or Vancouver BC. Not like one way flights to Europe. No penalty for starting in one port and flying home from another.

I am from Anchorage and fly home often. Always fly Alaska and use Companion Tickets from Alaska Branded Visa (works on cheapest fares and no black out dates). So 2 can fly for 1 plus about $120 for 2nd seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While this used to be true, it really isn't that way any longer. Airlines price each leg separately. At times it is less expensive to fly into one city and out of another.

Have done both one way and round trip. They each have their pluses and minuses. Both are amazing and you'll love it.

Pluses for one way.

1. Hubbard Glacier. Amazingly massive. Not many R/T do that.

2. Anchorage. Great town, be sure to check out the history museum.

3. Sitka, The theater they have there is fun, so is the Russian history of the area.

Minuses for one way.

1. Airfare out of Anchorage is pricey.

2. Not a lot of ship dock in Anchorage, they dock in Seward and bus you over.

I went on an Alaskan cruise that left from Seattle and ended in Vancouver, BC. It was amazing! The stops were Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Victoria, BC, Nanaimo, BC, and we sailed Tracy Arm Fjord (so beautiful). I think there was one other Alaska stop, which I can't remember at the moment. I fished at Icy Strait Point and caught two halibut! Whale watching was truly amazing in Juneau. BC is beautiful. My husband and I stayed a couple days in Seattle at the beginning and a couple days in Vancouver at the end. What a trip of a lifetime.