Any reason to print and bring luggage tags?

I am sailing on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan soon.

Is there any problem with not printing and bringing luggage tags to the port? I have read that the porters usually have them. Can I be assured they will have them, and that it is quick and easy to get them at the port? I assume you just have to write your name and cabin number on them.

I realize I could get some plastic holders or just print and staple the paper, but if I can avoid the expense and hassle of stapling, that would be great. If getting them at the port is a hassle, i'll get holders or find a stapler, but I'd prefer to avoid that.

Thank you for your insights! Happy sailing!

Edited by BOS_CruiseGuy

No, you really don't need to print them. The only real reasons to do so are because it makes the line go a little faster, you can make sure that the tags are legible, and if you're an over planner (like me) then you might get satisfaction from printing them and putting them in the nice plastic holder and knowing you've got everything covered in a nice and organized fashion, but it really isn't necessary at all. They have lots of people walking around with tags and they'll fill them out for you a and attach them, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Expense and hassle of stapling"? Are you flying in the day before? Ask for a stapler at the front desk of your hotel.

That being said, I just like the look of the luggage tag on the bags, and I know it's legible (I even use photoshop to put our names on the tags). But there's nothing to prevent you from using tags the porters provide.

Yes, the luggage handlers at the port will have blank tags as some people always show up without tags and few who have booked guaranties won't find out their cabin number until they arrive.

I suggest you fill in the tag yourself as the luggage handlers have been know to fill in the cabin number wrongly and they typically don't fill in your name. If the handler fills the tag in verify that it's correct.

Happened to our friends and they didn't get their bags until the next day. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

When we have the handlers do it I show them the paper (so no one is saying it or hearing it wrong) and I see what they are writing. Super easy and IMO more secure than staples or the tags (we are using the tags from Amazon on this trip because I finally found them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased plastic holders a number of years ago and have used them for every cruise since. I print the tags at home, pop them in the holders and place the holders in an outer pocket of our checked bags. On embarkation day, I attach them to the bags before leaving the hotel and think no more about it. No need to stand around wasting time while a porter fills out tags at the port.

We always print out two tags per case and reinforce with tape.......never had a misdirected bag.

If you want to take the chance of loosing your bags, go for it. A small chance, but a chance anyway.

Having printed (and reinforced) tags is no guarantee of your bags arriving, ... where they should. I know. ;)

I bought the plastic holders here on CC. Two reasons, to support the list and they are super handy for attaching my tags.

I always print them in color. I guess not necessary, but if you read the fine print it does suggest printing in color.

Yes, it does make things go faster at drop off. Not sure it gets your luggage to your room faster or even at all.

I once saw an entire cart of luggage come loose from the tug and go over the side of the dock into the water. I am guessing no amount of luggage tags helped get those bags to their rooms.

I bought the plastic holders here on CC. Two reasons, to support the list and they are super handy for attaching my tags.

I always print them in color. I guess not necessary, but if you read the fine print it does suggest printing in color.

Yes, it does make things go faster at drop off. Not sure it gets your luggage to your room faster or even at all.

I once saw an entire cart of luggage come loose from the tug and go over the side of the dock into the water. I am guessing no amount of luggage tags helped get those bags to their rooms.

I saw that too, watching from our balcony. We did get our luggage, but some poor folks got dripping wet cases!!! Not all was retrieved though.:eek:

We have never printed the tags, when Royal stopped sending them, we started getting them from the porters. Have not had a problem, it takes maybe 30 seconds, and we seem to get our luggage really early. At least we are always unpacked before muster drill.:D

Sherri:)

yes they have them, personally I like printing my own tags since I bought the luggage tag holder things off cruise critic here. they work great :) I always put them on when I get to my destination since airline are pretty rough with the bags sometimes

Thank you for your replies!

I think I will just get them at the port. Looks like they have good tag holders on Amazon for $8 for an 8 pack, but they fit best for RCCL and Celebrity, which we don't cruise often. I'd get those if we did.

Seems to me the hassle of printing/folding/borrowing stapler is slightly bigger than waiting a bit longer at the port.

Can someone provide the link to where these can be purchased on either CC or Amazon? I tried looking around on the main CC site, but cant seem to find them.

Thanks

Can someone provide the link to where these can be purchased on either CC or Amazon? I tried looking around on the main CC site, but cant seem to find them.

Thanks

One of many available on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011S5GO6Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH22FVBFPQ3VR

OR the Cruise Critic versions:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46