Chefs Table on Independence of the Seas

naples1

Has anyone gone to the the Chef's table recently on Independence of the Seas? I cant seem to find anything recent online. I have been on several before but would like to hear some recent experiences on this particular ship. They are normally excellent but have found mixed reviews. anyone care to chime in??:cool::cool:

Must have been a recent development. Ever since 2012, I've done chef's table for every ship that i've been on. Independence was only the 2nd cruise after my first chef's table and I was dismayed that it wasn't offered. I'm glad it caught on.

I've done it on Grandeur and Anthem so far. Both of them were absolutely wonderful. Price is odd sometimes. I paid 85/person on Anthem, but only 70/person on Grandeur. I actually found the Grandeur to be a slightly better experience.

5c006d84b48606d5ac4975bd6f4b6612.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

On Navigator last year, they didn't have a Chef's table. Instead, they offered a California Wine pairing meal in Chops. Is the Chef's Table experience similar? Does the head de cuisine speak? Is there a galley tour?

(I suspect no galley tour, as that seems to be part of the champagne brunch on the last sea day. We are definitely doing that, too!)

On Navigator last year, they didn't have a Chef's table. Instead, they offered a California Wine pairing meal in Chops. Is the Chef's Table experience similar? Does the head de cuisine speak? Is there a galley tour?

(I suspect no galley tour, as that seems to be part of the champagne brunch on the last sea day. We are definitely doing that, too!)

Man, that menu looks delicious!

This was my first cruise so i have nothing to compare it too. Independence did offer a galley tour with lunch on Friday. Those of us that attended the Chef's Table were offered 30% off of the galley tour/lunch - we did not attend. The menu was delicious & I would definitely do it again.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Yeah, we always try to do the chef's table. Done it twice on Allure of the Seas and a couple times on Some of the Celebrity Ships. Its not usually advertised and is from my experience offered only when there is enough requests. Its usually a couple officers and the head sommellier. They have all been excellent. They let the wine flow.. usually like a three hour affair.

I think its about the best dining experience you can get for the money. I have been to vegas in all the best hotels there and the Chef's table especially with the wine pairing is really a great experience. The one on the Allure is on the bridge over the boardwalk. Definitely do it if you get on that ship.

We sailed on Navigator in September this year and enjoyed the Chefs Table which was on offer. They held it in the Windjammer on the left hand side next to Giovannis (they closed the entry to the Windjammer on that side so no-one was walking past). Although not ideal nor completely private it was adequate and provided fantastic views of the sunset.

The menu is the same as that offered on Independence apart from a different dessert and final last drink.

The Sommelier was very good - informative with a sense of humour.

Adam

DSCF7053c.jpg.08ade0503d709fc737b1b5c766e46cf0.jpg

DSCF7053e.jpg.4f4993fb76d8dd44b56d5a78a4c5b228.jpg

We sailed on Navigator in September this year and enjoyed the Chefs Table which was on offer. They held it in the Windjammer on the left hand side next to Giovannis (they closed the entry to the Windjammer on that side so no-one was walking past). Although not ideal nor completely private it was adequate and provided fantastic views of the sunset.

The menu is the same as that offered on Independence apart from a different dessert and final last drink.

The Sommelier was very good - informative with a sense of humour.

Adam

Not crazy about the Windjammer idea, but if they have it in the diningroom, we're in!!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if there are plans to change the menu at Chefs Table (on all ships), as, although the menu if very very good, there are only so many times I can eat the same menu!

Thanks

Adam

This is our main issue with CT. Same on all ships. Getting tired of the same food. It is good, but the same. Wines change occasionally, but there are better and should be reviewed by someone that knows wines and not a sommelier that has risen from a waiter who normally serves Tisdale, Beringer, and Redwood.

Some ships do NOT have a separate venue and host it in Chops or in the MDR at where the Captain's table is. It is way too noisy in those two venues to hold a conversation across the table.

Also, you might get a table with a group of non-English speakers and that turns into a bad night. I, personally,have had problems with the French and Chinese who defer to their language so they don't have to converse.

Be sure to ask before booking or attending what venue it is hosted in and the demographics of the clientele. The host will tell you. My personal opinion from at least 15 chef's tables on many ships.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I went on the Independence last April (2016) for our honeymoon and did the Chef's Table. They hold it at a table in Chops restaurant. It was my first time doing CT, my husband did it on Allure and loved it. We were extremely disappointed. They changed the day on us and we were okay with that. Ended up with only two other couples, for a total of 6 of us. We were at a table in the Chops dining room while they were having dinner service so it was not private. The "chef" was actually a 'sous chef' and he only came out at the beginning to tell us that he didn't want to come out through each course and bother us, so he just gave us a quick run down of what we will be eating. Yep, you read that right. We all looked at each other and said "didn't we specifically pay for the Chef to be out with us and tell us about each course?". Anyway, the chef described what we would be served and most of couldn't remember what we were drinking or eating at certain times because the chef wasn't there and the staff only knew so much. We did enjoy our time and the food, it felt more like a long dinner date with friends. The chef came out towards the end to see what we thought. No pictures were taken, no privacy and pretty much no chef. It was just very poorly run. That was our personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds like a very poor unfortunate experience and I am sorry it was spoilt for you. I hope though that that was a one off, and not a sign of the experience going downhill permanently.

I am considering doing the chefs table. I am hoping to go on Rhapsody this October, and Independence September 2018 (and possibly one in May!). I am wondering though if there is any point on doing it on both sailings if the menu is the exact same. And then if this is the case which sailing, and ship would be the better choice, the 7 night Rhapsody this year or the 14 night Independence next?!!!! Decisions decisions!