star princess

kstate

My husband and I are going on the Star Princess leaving on Jan. 8th going to the Western Caribbean. Anyone out there going? This is our first cruise any suggestions for us? We are on the baja deck with balcony. We are very excited. We would like to talk with anyone out there that is going. :)

We just got back from the Oct. 23 sailing of the Star. I'm still working on my review. The Star is beautiful and does not show her age. The shows are wonderful (not your typical cruise ship broadway medlies) and the costumes are in great condition. Our entertainment was wonderful and food and service was also good. I was not impressed with the food at Horizon Court, however, but I did LOVE the free ice cream everyday at 3:30 at the Court. IF you love ice cream, make sure you don't miss this! When you meet your cabin steward, ask him for an egg crate (foam) mattress and feather pillows if you like them. This mattress is wonderful and I found out about the mattress and pillows from the boards.

Although we were supposed to have the Western itinerary, hurricane Wilma forced us to take an Eastern itinerary. We have done the Western many times before and love it. We usually do the Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. You will snorkel with the rays and if NativeWay is still booking, they are good ones to book with. They take you on a smaller boat than the ship's excursion (not as many people) and you also get to snorkel at the coral reef.

I think Cozumel will be open, but I'm not sure what kind of shape it will be in by the time you go there. It was a beautiful place and my favorite stop.

Ocho Rios: if you want to climb Duns River Falls, by all means book through the ship or a tour company recommended by those on the Ports of Call board. We did this through A-Z Planners which was recommended by some on the boards, and they did a wonderful job. They met us at the pier and took us to the falls and a tour through Fern Gulley. If you don't book through the ship or with someone recommended on the boards, make sure your taxi is a JUTA taxi. They are regulated through the government. Just be very, very careful there. Stay away from the locals. There is a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville bar right at the dock and that's a fun place. Kind of like Carlos 'n Charlies in Cozumel, but not as wild and crazy.

You will have a great time and you will come home OATC (openly addicted to cruising)!:D

Terre is right abour the Horizon Court. I was really disappointed with it as well. The set up is horrible and I think they could have cared less about the food they served.

Ochio Rios - yes, stay away from the locals and be careful what taxi you take. Settle on the price first. I did the falls 3 years ago and it was fun. I did a shore excursion on a boat over to the falls. We climbed up, came down and then snorkeled and enjoyed punch - rum of course!

Cozumel - some reports here have said that Chankanaab is ruined. I certainly hope not because that is my favorite place in Mexico. I loved to shop in San Miguel. I bet that is a mess. I always find cute things to bring home there. My kitchen is adorned with the Mexican wall hangings of the faces. It's just a cozy reminder as I cook.

She isn't a brand new ship but she still is pretty. Our cabin carpet as well as our friends next door was disgusting. It was in very bad need of being steamed. Lots of stains by the refrig.

The only thing that confused me about the ship was lack of doors on main decks to go outside. RCI has exits all over. This was one of my only complaints.

Enjoy your cruise. I have to wait until next year to do it again!

Susan

We sailed Star in 2003, that was her first season sailing Alaska and she was launched in 2002, so she is what? 3 years old?

Couple of comments: There should be no reason to experience a "filthy" carpet or anything else while on a ship, that is something that should be pointed out and cleaned.

For those that say the set-up for Horizon Ct. is "horrible" well, go back to the old fashioned lines and try to get just a milk, or a butter while the guy you said "excuse me" to and reached around looks at you with daggers. Also I always loved the lady on my right who would lean over my shoulder checking out the bacon. The food courts are all over Las Vegas and just take a little getting used to. There is no question the food quality is subjective, so no comment.

As for "lack of doors" to the outside. The Grand class Princess ships have cabins on seven decks. The promenade deck which is deck 7 had many doors to the outside walkway as does the Lido, Sun and Sports.

Star is a beautiful ship and should give you a wonderful cruise experience. Be sure to try "afternoon tea" and visit Skywalkers, both daytime for a great view and evening too.

Innaugural was in Feb 2002....

Buffet - I guess everything is realitive. The buffet on my Carnival cruise only served hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. The buffet on the Star Princess was much better then that.

I found the Star Princess to be an excellent ship - she was in great condition when I sailed her last summer.

Buffet - I guess everything is realitive. The buffet on my Carnival cruise only served hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. The buffet on the Star Princess was much better then that.

I, too, think the layout of the Horizon Cout is cramped and the food selection limited. I thought it odd that at no point on the cruise did I see bacon bits and croutons on the buffet salad bar, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to expect those items.

My point of reference is the Windjammer Cafe on Mariner of the Seas which is on a slightly newer ship (2003 as opposed to 2002) and is clearly superior to the Horizon Court, even if the quality of the food that is served is comparable.

My point of reference is the Windjammer Cafe on Mariner of the Seas which is on a slightly newer ship (2003 as opposed to 2002) and is clearly superior to the Horizon Court, even if the quality of the food that is served is comparable.

I haven't been on the Marianer of the Seas but was on the Explorer of the Seas. While a different layout - it seemed full of chaos when I was on the ship.....It didn't seem any better or any worse then the Grand class ships for me.

Truthfully, I think it is all about what you are comfortable with.

I happened to find the Windjammer alot easier to manuever - better choices and tastier food. I started with RCI back in 98 so I am used to their rooms. Been on all their big ships and loved them. Been on Radiance twice and just loved her. Just easier ships to get around. Maybe I would say that about other lines had I tried them.

Try darting in front of someone on Princess to say oh - I forgot my butter and yes - you will get that dagger look. That can happen on any cruise no matter what line you are in. People are hungry and want to eat. I appreciate that as I have been on both sides.

The outside doors on Star - they don't exist - period. I don't appreciate running around to look for one. She is a beautiful ship - I agree with that. Just not user friendly.

Susan

Archived