Carnival Vista Behind the Fun Tour

SunshineOnTheBrain

I did it on 12/16 Vista repo cruise. It followed the familiar areas and format of previous ones we did with a few exceptions:

1. Started in the Steakhouse (others have usually been the library).

2. The kitchen shop included a small tasting of:

a. (1) small chocolate truffle

b. a tray of the pastries, cinnamon rolls, and cookies straight from the oven.

3. The tour ended in the Red Frog Pub Brewery instead of the steakhouse. This allowed them to talk up the brewery tour, but did offer a small sample of one of the brews (of two choices).

At the end, you were given the lanyard, backpack, and hat. Missing from other tours was the carved soap and photo book.

After the tour you could pick up your group kitchen photo, group bridge photo, and individual captain photo.

Here's the info on Behind the Fun, copied from Carnival.com:

-------------

Carnival’s ‘Behind the Fun’ Tour

For those who want to get an insider’s look at the inner-workings of a Carnival ‘Fun Ship’, Carnival has created ‘Behind the Fun’, a guided tour that provides guests with a unique insight into the company’s shipboard operations.

‘Behind the Fun’ is offered fleet wide. The informative tour offers participants a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise.

‘Behind the Fun’ begins with a stop backstage in the main show lounge where participants can see exactly what goes into creating Carnival’s award-winning revues. The tour then moves on to normally restricted areas such as the laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym and crew training center.

Next it’s on to the expansive main galley where talented culinary artists prepare upwards of 12,000 meals and snacks a day for Carnival’s guests. The tour also includes a visit to the ship’s bridge and engine control room and informative Q&A sessions with the captain and chief engineer, respectively.

In addition to a comprehensive overview of Carnival’s shipboard operations, ‘Behind the Fun’ participants receive a number of commemorative gifts, including a custom-made ‘Behind the Fun’ baseball cap and lanyard and even complimentary photos with the captain on the bridge.

General Information:

• ‘Behind the Fun’ can only be purchased on board through the Shore Excursion Desk.
  • Depending on the duration of the cruise, the cost is $55 USD to $95 USD per person and is approximately 2 hours to 3-1/2 hours long.
  • Capacity is limited to 16 guests per tour.
  • Tours are conducted on the last sea day of each cruise.
  • Guests must be 8 years of age or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • Guests are not permitted to have cameras, cell phones or video recording equipment on the tour.

----------------------

Some of my own observations:

• Although they indicate that the price is dependent on cruise-length, after five BtF tours it seems to me that it's tied to the presence of a steakhouse: ships with a steakhouse, $95; with no steakhouse, $55.

• It's a morning tour (9 am or so), so plan ahead. I've found you can BARELY make the Seaday Brunch afterward. :)

• You WILL get to meet the Captain. In the Engine Control Room, you sometimes -- but not always -- get a presentation from the Chief Engineer. It's sometimes done by his assistant, etc.

• The $95 tour includes a Carnival "backpack" (one of those stringed bags that can go over your shoulders); the $55 tour does not.

• Capacity is set at 16 people and it should be less, IMHO. They will sometimes add a second tour the same morning if they see a demand.

• As previously mentioned, close-toed shoes are required. On some ships (Fantasy-class, I think it was) you may have to climb or descend steep almost ladder-like staircases. There is a LOT of walking so wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

• Other locations that you MAY see, depending on various factors, include: crew lounge, beverage "cooler" room, meat freezer and thawing/"resting" room, Captain's private dining room (once!), ship's prow (group photo by the ship's bell, on $95 tours), recycling center and incinerator, location of ship's morgue and brig (from outside), and....I'm sure I'm forgetting something. :)

I recommend it highly. I've always learned something new each time. Last time, we learned where the captain and chief engineer's cabins are. ;)

Edited by Pellaz

If you enjoy cruising and IF you are interested in what it is like working and living on a cruise ship this tour is well worth the price.

We have done this tour on several different classes of ships.

Lots of walking and lots of steep stairs but well worth the cost.

The visit and views from the bridge are priceless.

I did it on 12/16 Vista repo cruise. It followed the familiar areas and format of previous ones we did with a few exceptions:

1. Started in the Steakhouse (others have usually been the library).

2. The kitchen shop included a small tasting of:

a. (1) small chocolate truffle

b. a tray of the pastries, cinnamon rolls, and cookies straight from the oven.

3. The tour ended in the Red Frog Pub Brewery instead of the steakhouse. This allowed them to talk up the brewery tour, but did offer a small sample of one of the brews (of two choices).

At the end, you were given the lanyard, backpack, and hat. Missing from other tours was the carved soap and photo book.

After the tour you could pick up your group kitchen photo, group bridge photo, and individual captain photo.

Thank you so much. The first time I did the BRFT was on a Fantasy class ship and we had a group picture on the bow with the ship's bell. The second time, on the Pride, we didn't make that stop.

As you didn't mention it here I assume this isn't part of the Vista's BTFT?

Here's the info on Behind the Fun, copied from Carnival.com:

-------------

Carnival’s ‘Behind the Fun’ Tour

For those who want to get an insider’s look at the inner-workings of a Carnival ‘Fun Ship’, Carnival has created ‘Behind the Fun’, a guided tour that provides guests with a unique insight into the company’s shipboard operations.

‘Behind the Fun’ is offered fleet wide. The informative tour offers participants a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise.

‘Behind the Fun’ begins with a stop backstage in the main show lounge where participants can see exactly what goes into creating Carnival’s award-winning revues. The tour then moves on to normally restricted areas such as the laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym and crew training center.

Next it’s on to the expansive main galley where talented culinary artists prepare upwards of 12,000 meals and snacks a day for Carnival’s guests. The tour also includes a visit to the ship’s bridge and engine control room and informative Q&A sessions with the captain and chief engineer, respectively.

In addition to a comprehensive overview of Carnival’s shipboard operations, ‘Behind the Fun’ participants receive a number of commemorative gifts, including a custom-made ‘Behind the Fun’ baseball cap and lanyard and even complimentary photos with the captain on the bridge.

General Information:

• ‘Behind the Fun’ can only be purchased on board through the Shore Excursion Desk.
  • Depending on the duration of the cruise, the cost is $55 USD to $95 USD per person and is approximately 2 hours to 3-1/2 hours long.
  • Capacity is limited to 16 guests per tour.
  • Tours are conducted on the last sea day of each cruise.
  • Guests must be 8 years of age or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • Guests are not permitted to have cameras, cell phones or video recording equipment on the tour.

----------------------

Some of my own observations:

• Although they indicate that the price is dependent on cruise-length, after five BtF tours it seems to me that it's tied to the presence of a steakhouse: ships with a steakhouse, $95; with no steakhouse, $55.

• It's a morning tour (9 am or so), so plan ahead. I've found you can BARELY make the Seaday Brunch afterward. :)

• You WILL get to meet the Captain. In the Engine Control Room, you sometimes -- but not always -- get a presentation from the Chief Engineer. It's sometimes done by his assistant, etc.

• The $95 tour includes a Carnival "backpack" (one of those stringed bags that can go over your shoulders); the $55 tour does not.

• Capacity is set at 16 people and it should be less, IMHO. They will sometimes add a second tour the same morning if they see a demand.

• As previously mentioned, close-toed shoes are required. On some ships (Fantasy-class, I think it was) you may have to climb or descend steep almost ladder-like staircases. There is a LOT of walking so wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

• Other locations that you MAY see, depending on various factors, include: crew lounge, beverage "cooler" room, meat freezer and thawing/"resting" room, Captain's private dining room (once!), ship's prow (group photo by the ship's bell, on $95 tours), recycling center and incinerator, location of ship's morgue and brig (from outside), and....I'm sure I'm forgetting something. :)

I recommend it highly. I've always learned something new each time. Last time, we learned where the captain and chief engineer's cabins are. ;)

The ship;s bell was not done on the Pride in 2014 Repo Cruise. I was told that part of the tour is dependent on the class of ship.

The ship;s bell was not done on the Pride in 2014 Repo Cruise. I was told that part of the tour is dependent on the class of ship.

Thanks for that info. It seems to be almost random: we didn't do it on Liberty in 2012, but DID do the bell group-photo on two Conquest-class ships since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good luck to you. My wife and I had FTTF and were on board before noon. First stop was the guest services counter on deck 3 and the guy told us we were about 10 mins too late. We went on the waiting list and checked in later in the week. Wasn't meant to be...