Crown Bay liquor stores?

jgnova

We'll be docked in Crown Bay in March - our first time there since 2008 when it was a ghost town. My major buying treat in St. Thomas is Jamaican Rum Cream and I bought it on our last cruise there at Dynasty Dazzlers in Havensight. Now we'll be in Crown Bay and I can't find a listing of stores there to contact the liquor stores. So I'm trying to find out (1) if there's a liquor store at Crown Bay that carries Jamaican Rum Cream or (2) how I can buy it from a place in town or Havensight and have it delivered to Crown Bay. And who is likely to stock Rum Cream. (It used to be easy when Cruzan made it because everyone had it. But Cruzan discontinued that product in favor of something with rice milk and it's harder to find the Jamaican stuff.)

Thanks

There is a fairly well stocked AH Riis liquor store branch at Crown Bay.

Don't know if they carry what you need, but you can certainly check.

If not, the open air taxi runs into Charlotte Amalie regularly, where you can find more options.

Are you going to St Maarten? I always found better prices on everything, including liquor there.

There is a fairly well stocked AH Riis liquor store branch at Crown Bay.

Don't know if they carry what you need, but you can certainly check.

If not, the open air taxi runs into Charlotte Amalie regularly, where you can find more options.

Are you going to St Maarten? I always found better prices on everything, including liquor there.

AH Riise at Havensight did not have it last time I was there (1/15). I thought about St. Maarten (last stop on cruise) but the US regs allow 4 bottles/person on purchases in the US VI, but only two bottles per person on purchases elsewhere in the Caribbean. So I'd rather buy in St. Thomas to get the extra allowance.

It would be nice if it was available in the US, but I guess there's no demand.

I thought about St. Maarten (last stop on cruise) but the US regs allow 4 bottles/person on purchases in the US VI, but only two bottles per person on purchases elsewhere in the Caribbean. So I'd rather buy in St. Thomas to get the extra allowance.

Actually, you get 6 liters if one is produced in the USVI (Captain Morgan or Cruzan). Buy USVI!!:D

I thought about St. Maarten (last stop on cruise) but the US regs allow 4 bottles/person on purchases in the US VI, but only two bottles per person on purchases elsewhere in the Caribbean. So I'd rather buy in St. Thomas to get the extra allowance.

Actually, you get 6 liters if one is produced in the USVI (Captain Morgan or Cruzan). Buy USVI!!:D

I thought it was five liters if one was made in the USVI? And I'd be happy to buy Cruzan - did so for years until two years ago when they stopped making Rum Cream. That's what makes this so annoying - because the stores all had Cruzan Rum Cream but very few, including whoever took over the AH Riise at Havensight, carry the Jamaican.

There are 2 grocery stores within walking distance of Crown Bay - Gourmet Gallery and Pueblo. Both sell liquor and may have what you're looking for.

I checked with Gourmet Gallery last week and they don't stock it. Will ask Pueblo if I can find them on the net. Thanks.

We have been cruising (and traveling) around the Caribbean for over forty years and used to bring back 8-12 bottles of expensive booze on every visit. We always declare everything, and even if slightly over our limit...the CBP folks have simply taken our form and let us go without paying any duty (which would only be a few dollars). The paperwork to process a small Duty is hardly worth their time...and we always disclose everything to put the ball into their park. Keep in mind that even if you go over your Duty Free allowance it is not an issue as long as you are honest in your declaration.

But here is the rest of the story. For the past 4-5 years we seldom bring any booze back to the USA....for 2 reasons. 1. You have to put booze into your checked luggage if flying inside the USA. and 2. The prices in the Caribbean are no longer such a great deal.

We used to buy only high end Scotch and Cognac. With the better stuff we would sometimes save $30-$50 per bottle...which we thought worth the hassle. But now, the savings on most higher end stuff is often less then $20 a bottle (often not that much). And although prices are good on cheaper booze, we do not think its worth the hassle to only save a few dollars....and have to deal with the weight limits on checked luggage.

As to Crown Bay, since there is not a lot of competition at the remote port...we have seldom found any kind of bargain. There are sometimes better prices in town (Charlotte Amalie) or out at Havensight. But personally, we find the prices at St Maarten to be better....as is the selection for higher end products. In fact, there is one store in Phillipsburg, St Maarten that has one of the best collections of Scotch I have ever seen outside of Edinburgh.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have been cruising (and traveling) around the Caribbean for over forty years and used to bring back 8-12 bottles of expensive booze on every visit. We always declare everything, and even if slightly over our limit...the CBP folks have simply taken our form and let us go without paying any duty (which would only be a few dollars). The paperwork to process a small Duty is hardly worth their time...and we always disclose everything to put the ball into their park. Keep in mind that even if you go over your Duty Free allowance it is not an issue as long as you are honest in your declaration.

But here is the rest of the story. For the past 4-5 years we seldom bring any booze back to the USA....for 2 reasons. 1. You have to put booze into your checked luggage if flying inside the USA. and 2. The prices in the Caribbean are no longer such a great deal.

We used to buy only high end Scotch and Cognac. With the better stuff we would sometimes save $30-$50 per bottle...which we thought worth the hassle. But now, the savings on most higher end stuff is often less then $20 a bottle (often not that much). And although prices are good on cheaper booze, we do not think its worth the hassle to only save a few dollars....and have to deal with the weight limits on checked luggage.

As to Crown Bay, since there is not a lot of competition at the remote port...we have seldom found any kind of bargain. There are sometimes better prices in town (Charlotte Amalie) or out at Havensight. But personally, we find the prices at St Maarten to be better....as is the selection for higher end products. In fact, there is one store in Phillipsburg, St Maarten that has one of the best collections of Scotch I have ever seen outside of Edinburgh. Prices may not be so great....but I still love to taste and buy Scotch's that I cannot find at home. In St Thomas (a port we prefer to totally avoid) we no longer waste our time with booze.

Hank

Jgnova, Pueblo has coquito. You might want to try it. I like it better than rum cream, though I haven't had the brand Pueblo is selling.

Thanks - that's probably sweeter than I like, which was my problem with the Rumchata I tried. I emailed Pueblo and they haven't replied. So I'll probably check out the shops at Crown Bay and then taxi into town to Dazzling Dynasty to order and have it delivered to the ship - and then go on to the beach for the day. And I'll check out whoever is on the dock in St. Martin while we're there as well, since the customs/immigration people have never actually asked to see any receipts proving USVI purchase when I've told them what we have.

In my view, Crown Bay has become a ghost town (we were there in November). So you'll likely need to go downtown or to Havensight.

That's disappointing. It was that way when we docked there on Caribbean Princess in 2008 and I was hoping that with RCI's contract putting all of their lines there it would have improved a bit. Oh well.

Caribana in town should also have Stanger's(?) Rum Cream. There's a fairly new VI rum, Botany Bay, that has a rum cream. Haven't tried.

Thanks - I figured someplace in town would have it, but was trying to avoid the extra trip. But I hadn't heard of Botany Bay before - and it looks like Penha Duty Free at Crown Bay is listed as selling Botany Bay - so I'll call them to see if they stock the rum cream. Their corporate office never replied to my email.