American Express offer: $100 off $500+ Cruise Lines

izmeeh

Just opened a new AMEX but my cruise is paid off and I see that beverage package purchases that aren't made at booking are excluded.

That's not true. You can buy stuff on the website and it should work (it's worked on the other lines). Or just buy yourself $500 worth of on board credit (OBC). It just worked for me on Holland America. I booked a new cruise that had payment due immediately. It was just under $2500 and I split payment across 5 cards. Then my TA bought me $25 worth of OBC on the last card because the charge there was only $484. I got the $100 back on each of the cards.

I still have the offer on some cards and will be buying at least $1000 of OBC before the cruise to get another $200 back.

Edited by MisterBill99

My husband has the AMX credit card and I am an authorized user. Our card numbers are different. Does anyone know if I can use both of the cards to get the $100 OBC.

Not sure if I know how to get the offer for each card separately.

My husband has the AMX credit card and I am an authorized user. Our card numbers are different. Does anyone know if I can use both of the cards to get the $100 OBC.

Not sure if I know how to get the offer for each card separately.

Each cardholder can have their own login at the AMEX site, even if they are not the primary cardholder. The authorized user (you) should register their card and set up an id and the offer should be available. Then the offer can be redeemed on that card. The offers are card number specific.

Edited by MisterBill99

Each cardholder can have their own login at the AMEX site, even if they are not the primary cardholder. The authorized user (you) should register their card and set up an id and the offer should be available. Then the offer can be redeemed on that card. The offers are card number specific.

Thanks, I was having a moment there, lol!

I remembered I had registered my card with my own account, I just never use it.

I was able to add the offer to this card as well. Wow, $200 saved!

Just opened a new AMEX but my cruise is paid off and I see that beverage package purchases that aren't made at booking are excluded.

That's not true. You can buy stuff on the website and it should work (it's worked on the other lines).

I went back and read the terms and wanted to clarify but I can't edit my post anymore. I see the terms you're referring to, but in reality it doesn't work that way. It says "at time of reservation", which I think is intended to mean that it doesn't work if you buy it on board and qualify for the offer. Anything you buy from within your reservation on their website should qualify for the offer. It certainly has with the Royal Caribbean offer in the past.

Thanks, I was having a moment there, lol!

I remembered I had registered my card with my own account, I just never use it.

I was able to add the offer to this card as well. Wow, $200 saved!

With as many Carnival cruises as you have booked, you should apply for another AMEX card to do the offer again! Or add authorized users like your kids to the existing accounts and add to their cards when the cards arrive!

$200 may sound like a lot, but I saved $750 on my Royal Caribbean cruise earlier this year, and just saved $500 on HAL this week (and will save at least $200 more on OBC). I have a lot of AMEX cards :).

Edited by MisterBill99

With as many Carnival cruises as you have booked, you should apply for another AMEX card to do the offer again! Or add authorized users like your kids to the existing accounts and add to their cards when the cards arrive!

$200 may sound like a lot, but I saved $750 on my Royal Caribbean cruise earlier this year, and just saved $500 on HAL this week (and will save at least $200 more on OBC). I have a lot of AMEX cards :).

Still have time! Deadline for purchase is Apr 14, 2017 yet.

I used this offer once already but have another cruise still not paid for that I'm going to try this with, but it is just under $500, I wonder if I can still pay $500 and see if it goes towards my onboard account??

I'm confused. Did you use the offer from this iteration already, or a previous offer (different valid dates)? If you already used this iteration, and don't have another card with the offer, you cannot do it again.

If you have not used it this iteration, then pay whatever you owe, then call or go on the website and buy on board credit to get over $500 and it should work.

I'm confused. Did you use the offer from this iteration already, or a previous offer (different valid dates)? If you already used this iteration, and don't have another card with the offer, you cannot do it again.

If you have not used it this iteration, then pay whatever you owe, then call or go on the website and buy on board credit to get over $500 and it should work.

I used this offer the last time they ran it, a few months ago. Yes I figured I could buy on board credit to get me over the $500 mark. Thx

I used this offer the last time they ran it, a few months ago. Yes I figured I could buy on board credit to get me over the $500 mark. Thx

Well, so long as the offer shows to be active on your card, you'll be fine. Remember this is not a new offer -- it's been around since October (and there was an older thread that should have been resurrected instead of starting a new one). So depending on your definition of "a few months ago" it could be the same offer.

Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks so much for posting! I can only get it on one of my three amex cards it looks like but I am very happy to get a free $100 :)

What are the other cards? It probably hasn't been posted here, but once you have an offer added to one card, it no longer shows up for others on the same login. However, if you remove the other cards from that login (go to card management) and create a new login for that card alone, you should be able to add it to that card.

To avoid this in the future, you need to clone the browser window before adding the offer. Open a window for each card, and go to that card and expand the offers list before adding it anywhere. Then once you've got everything open and visible, you can add it to each card.

That said, other travel cards typically do not have the offer available, although some have reported that if they go to http://www.americanexpres.com/wlcl you can add it. But once again, the cards cannot be on the same login.

Edited by MisterBill99

You must have a lot of cards! I thought you could only use this offer once....is that accurate?

We do save extra money with Carnival stock and we always book on board for the extra OBC and buy the discounted gift cards. Every little bit adds up.

You must have a lot of cards! I thought you could only use this offer once....is that accurate?

We do save extra money with Carnival stock and we always book on board for the extra OBC and buy the discounted gift cards. Every little bit adds up.

Once per card. But you can split payment across multiple cards if you have the offer on them.

And yes, I have a lot of AMEX cards. I accumulated them over the years getting signup bonuses, and don't bother closing them, just put them in the drawer. When deals like this come along, I load the offer and then make the appropriate purchase. The only times I've actually used them all is during Small Business Saturday, when you could get up to $30 in credits per card at local merchants. One year I bought over $500 of gift cards at non-chain restaurants in my area and ate well over the course of the year thanks to AMEX! Sadly this year AMEX did not offer that promotion.

We have a friend who makes disparaging remarks about all the AMEX cards I have, but if she only knew how much money I was saving/making by having them, I think she'd stop. In any event, I laugh when she makes the comment.

BTW I also have Carnival stock, just bought it when I decided to book the HAL cruise. So that will be another $100.

Edited by MisterBill99

Well, so long as the offer shows to be active on your card, you'll be fine. Remember this is not a new offer -- it's been around since October (and there was an older thread that should have been resurrected instead of starting a new one). So depending on your definition of "a few months ago" it could be the same offer.

In that case, I've already used it...i just got back from my cruise, I'll see if it's available.

Once per card. But you can split payment across multiple cards if you have the offer on them.

And yes, I have a lot of AMEX cards. I accumulated them over the years getting signup bonuses, and don't bother closing them, just put them in the drawer. When deals like this come along, I load the offer and then make the appropriate purchase. The only times I've actually used them all is during Small Business Saturday, when you could get up to $30 in credits per card at local merchants. One year I bought over $500 of gift cards at non-chain restaurants in my area and ate well over the course of the year thanks to AMEX! Sadly this year AMEX did not offer that promotion.

We have a friend who makes disparaging remarks about all the AMEX cards I have, but if she only knew how much money I was saving/making by having them, I think she'd stop. In any event, I laugh when she makes the comment.

BTW I also have Carnival stock, just bought it when I decided to book the HAL cruise. So that will be another $100.

I say whatever works for you, go for it. We have a variety of cards that we have opened over the years for different promotions. I have tried to explain to family and friends about some of the deals you can get with the cards but they just don't get it.