Celebrity quality is slipping

scoobyspiced

I'm sorry to hear this about Celebrity. I just got off of Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas last Sunday. I've been on 14 cruises with Royal and the service and food quality has hit a new low. I've been researching new ships to go on and thought that I would try Celebrity but it sounds like the same problem I experienced last week. I spent $7500 on 3 balcony cabins, total waste of money!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been loyal to Celebrity since 2005, before that 6 cruises with Princess, 1 with H.A.L.

In our opinion (fully appreciating others may not agree) Celebrities food quality, entertainment and service be it in dining venues, stateroom stewards, bar service, while still fine, is no where close to what it was 11 years ago, and with each cruise the quality continues to slip further.

Celebrity was for us once a premium or upper level cruise experience, but now is another mass market line, no better or worse than Princess or H.A.L.

I have been an advocate for voting with your wallet if Celebrity is not meeting expectations and we're taking our own advice and giving Oceania our January 2017 cruise business.

Surprisingly the cost is comparable, and we're really looking forward to seeing if the food and service will meet our expectations.

We know Celebrity isn't going to improve quality, so for us it's either accept lower standards or move on to other options. Complaining isn't working.

We'll give Oceania a try.

I have been an advocate for voting with your wallet if Celebrity is not meeting expectations and we're taking our own advice and giving Oceania our January 2017 cruise business.

Surprisingly the cost is comparable, and we're really looking forward to seeing if the food and service will meet our expectations.

I fully appreciate your perspective. Rather than complaining, vote with your wallet.

I have shopped Oceania but for the itineraries we want, an Oceania veranda cabin is the same cost as a Celebrity Sky Suite. I would like to try Oceania but not at that premium. What am I doing wrong?

I fully appreciate your perspective. Rather than complaining, vote with your wallet.

I have shopped Oceania but for the itineraries we want, an Oceania veranda cabin is the same cost as a Celebrity Sky Suite. I would like to try Oceania but not at that premium. What am I doing wrong?

I can only tell you what I know. Facts, not opinion or feelings.

Last February a 1A Balcony with Celebrity Equinox all in $211 per night p/p, included a Classic Beverage Package, and $200 OBC from booking on board in January 2015. Our T.A. threw in the Gratuities. Oceania Riviera January 2017 10 night B2 Balcony $225 per night p/p included $800 OBC and free Internet.

Our perception of "value" may well differ but for us the $800 OBC from Oceania more than pays for the amount of drinks we will use, plus cover the Elite Celebrity perks we would use, leaving lots to cover the Gratuities. Oceania also includes free water, pop, speciality dining venues and speciality coffees.

For us, we're prepared to give Oceania a try hoping it will meet our expectations as we're fairly comfortable Celebrity will leave us less than satisfied.

We booked Oceania in August 2016, and from following their website, prices have increased a bit since then, but then again so have Celebrities.

You really don't believe the Troll will make another appearance? I don't! "Gotta love 'em for the fools they make of themselves!!!"

Sounds to me that you are the Troll here...Indeed, Gotta love 'em for the fools they make of themselves :D:D:D:D

We were on the Summit on the 3rd of dec to the 10th..... nothing of what was posted on the beginning of this post occured on our sailing. We were on the ship in 25 minutes from the time we docked. In reading what others that were on the 10th sailing have to say, comments from a first time poster are hard to believe. Never had a problem getting a drink. You just had to wave. A door falling off could happen, they are after all doors on sliders. While the lack ofthe martini glasses was the worst we experienced. I am not sure that thsi postis at all acurate. After all such an outbreak usually makes it to some news forum.... it hasn't. As for Princess, they lost our business a long time ago. As for posting really bad negative reviews like this make sure you have some credibility on here before trying it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Last February a 1A Balcony with Celebrity Equinox all in $211 per night p/p, included a Classic Beverage Package, and $200 OBC from booking on board in January 2015. Our T.A. threw in the Gratuities. Oceania Riviera January 2017 10 night B2 Balcony $225 per night p/p included $800 OBC and free Internet.

I believe you, but I can't find similar pricing for the itineraries we want.

For example, I am searching for Pacific Coastal in 2017. Oceania has a cruise that fits and a veranda runs from $370 to $420 p/p per day. That offer includes $600 OBC and Internet. A similar Celebrity cruise in an Aqua stateroom is $270 p/p per day which includes Classic Beverage package, $300 OBC, Blu, and Persian Gardens. My TA will give me additional OBC for either cruise.

I am having trouble justifying the extra $100/150 plus beverages p/p per day on Oceania.

The more I read this post the more I realize I need to add something. We, ve cruised since 2007 but had done 2 prior to that and then a bunch of all-inclusives and the disney busch gardens universal curcuit with the kids. I find Celebrity to be great for the most part. Can I find things a little off on each cruise? Yes. Did they ruin my trip. Nope. Why? Value for dollar spent. I have priced Oceania and found the price out of my budget range so far. Is it a better line? It better be given it will cost you more. One day we will try it but we keep finding good value for the price we have paid. As for noro virus cleaning, the ships are cleaned constantly for this whether they have a guest who brought it on board or not. It isnt the only virus that can spread.Some people get so wrapped up in looking for the negatives they forget to have a vacation on their vacation.Celebrity ships are considerd big ships. If you want the seaborn, viking, regent, oceania experience increase your budget. Still looking for an all-inclusive that can match a cruise on celebrity for the same price.Food entertainment wait service and location.We usually book 1a or concierge. Btw i am Canadian and our dollar is low so you can be sure I pay more than anyone from the U.S.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Well after thinking about this thread, not very often mind you as there are so many similar to digest, methinks the title of the thread needs to be changed to:

Quality of X's passengers have slipped....

;-) Just a thought, mine only and not meant to offend either...

Shared your post with my wife. Her reply was "good point". Perhaps changing times have slipped.

I am just preparing to disembark from Summit myself. I can back up most of OPs assertions.

Noro broke out. I think Celebrity did ok job trying to manage it, but as it certainly afflicts crew as well as guest, service became strained.

We experienced subpar buffet food prior to the noro outbreak. Blu dining was good, though super super slow afterwards. One meal lasted 3 hours.

This was our first cruise with Celebrity so I can't say that they are slipping. But we saw enough to say that we prefer Princess ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We too were on this cruise. Yes Noro did break out. We did see vomiting in public areas. The staff has my sympathy. My husband got it and we don't do buffets! It could have been from the hand rails. He was ill in the cabin and thankfully no mess! I myself got a touch of it, but it just made me tired.

This was my first Celebrity Cruise. No flaming, but I was disappointed in the food. Not a lot of flavor. We did eat in the Tuscan Grill one night, it was delicious with wonderful service. I just wish one didn't have to pay $45 each for food quality that used to be standard in the MDR.

Loved our Concierge cabin, lots of room and quite comfortable. The daily "treats" were a bit of a joke though. Some days much better than others.

In all, with my limited experience, Princess had better food, but that's been a few years so that may not be the case any longer.

Happy to be home! Contemplating the next vacation, cruise or not?? Love the planning!

Best to everyone!

I believe you, but I can't find similar pricing for the itineraries we want.

For example, I am searching for Pacific Coastal in 2017. Oceania has a cruise that fits and a veranda runs from $370 to $420 p/p per day. That offer includes $600 OBC and Internet. A similar Celebrity cruise in an Aqua stateroom is $270 p/p per day which includes Classic Beverage package, $300 OBC, Blu, and Persian Gardens. My TA will give me additional OBC for either cruise.

I am having trouble justifying the extra $100/150 plus beverages p/p per day on Oceania.

Just a suggestion but Oceania's list price includes air, which you may not want. Have you spoken to an Oceania Sales Rep to get pricing without air ? For us the included air did'not work so we asked for pricing without the air component.

In the last few months we have been on the Eclipse and Queen Elizabeth.

Still prefer the Eclipse due to anytime dining and indoor pool - also the general decor. QE is rather a dark ship.

But shock horror. The food and service on Cunard was well above Celebrity in our opinion.

We were also on the 12/10 sailing, and I agree with Snyniew's comments. We experienced great service onboard, especially in the MDR and from all the bars. There were plenty of waiters circulating around the pool, as well as mobile bars selling beer/water/soda. In fact, bar service was noticeably faster than our previous Silhouette cruise. There was no shortage of hand sanitizer, as employees were always present with it upon entering the buffet area on both sides. Additionally, we noticed hand sanitizer available at every other food venue, as well as each time you re-boarded the ship. The only real issue I had on this cruise was that the first few nights were a little rocky, and I had difficulty sleeping. Take this observation with a grain of salt though, I am extra sensitive to motion and I am sure others may not have even noticed it! This has nothing to do with Celebrity, as it was simply a result of some high winds.

We too received the questionnaire in our stateroom on the last night asking if we had experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms (fortunately we did not). The next morning on debarkation day I noticed an increased effort in cleaning. An employee came by and wiped the ledge behind where we were seated in the Oceanview Cafe no less than 3 times while we were eating breakfast.

I was on this cruise as well and had the same experience. No problem with service by the pool, plenty of sanitizer, no problem with the buffet food being cold but we were mostly eating the cooked to order stations (pasta, stir fry). No vomiting in the halls. None of the four of us experienced any illness. MDR food was good, but I was less than impressed with Tuscan.

The one thing that surprised me was when we asked our room attendant for more shampoo and conditioner because it wasn't restocked at all during the week, she said she would have to look for some because they were out. She brought shampoo but no conditioner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on this cruise as well and had the same experience. No problem with service by the pool, plenty of sanitizer, no problem with the buffet food being cold but we were mostly eating the cooked to order stations (pasta, stir fry). No vomiting in the halls. None of the four of us experienced any illness. MDR food was good, but I was less than impressed with Tuscan.

The one thing that surprised me was when we asked our room attendant for more shampoo and conditioner because it wasn't restocked at all during the week, she said she would have to look for some because they were out. She brought shampoo but no conditioner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We too had to request additional shampoo! I thought it was odd.

The essence of this post is absolutely correct. I am not hard-to-please. I don't insist on staff jumping when I need something. Nor am I the proverbial "foodie."

Nonetheless, it is difficult to watch a brand that was once at the top of the cruise totem pole slip downwards - - nobody pushed, they chose to slide.

I have heard all the arguments about how fares have been held down. Yet I resent not being able to enjoy what "X" was once famous for without paying an additional fee.

For example, the cost of specialty dining is outrageous. By the time you are done, it can range as much as $100.00 for a couple - with zero consideration for the meal in the MDR you've already paid for.

Yes, I still cruise "X" now-and-again. But I find Princess to be far superior in what is included in the base fare.

We did our first X cruise on Infinity in 2011 and our ninth on Millennium Fall 2015. In our opinion, Celebrity's product has been consistently excellent for dining and service. Entertainment seems to have dipped, but I think part of that is that X had not changed its singers and dancers shows and after four or five times, it doesn't cut it.

Sure, we see the elimination of the end of the cruise brunch, supposedly because food can't be served on a carpet. The beverage packages, which we don't want or need since we are moderate drinkers and elite have changed the bar atmosphere a little.

We don't dine much at the specialty restaurants. However, since we did do Qsine a couple of times and loved it.

Everyone has their own experience and a person can still have negative happenings on an excellent cruise line. By the way, X won more awards for dining, not to long ago.

We also cruise with NCL because of their lower prices and their food quality has improved recently. My main gripe with X is the bundled pricing for most cruises that seriously inflate overall prices.

We booked a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises for 2018 because the pricing was great with no bundling.

I was reading this thread and thought several things...

First of all, prior to November of last year you wouldn't find anyone more critical of X than me. I had thought the line was really on a downward spiral. I was, and still am, concerned at the focus on family cruisers and the attempt to attract younger clientele. BUT our most recent TA in November on Silhouette changed all (well, at least a lot of) that.

Regarding a/the norovirus outbreak: that is 100% the fault of the passengers. How many of you have been in a restroom to watch that one person just leave without washing their hands? That's all it takes. One self-centered, ignorant person who got on board sick and doesn't care that they are spreading it to others. This is NOT X's fault.

Pricing = Expectations. Sorry, it's the truth. My husband and I usually book a Suite; Celebrity or higher. We expect to get more since we paid more. This last cruise we blew the budget and upgraded to the Penthouse Suite, where everything was included - drinks, specialty dining, internet, etc. Were we to have booked a similar cabin on another line it would have been significantly more expensive but would have expected that much more in the "experience". So you have to ask "What do I want?" and "What am I willing to pay for it?"

Our cabin steward (in the PH) was responsible for 12 (!) cabins with no assistant. He did a phenomenal job. But the cruise lines are in business TO MAKE MONEY. So they cut back on staff, lobster, sushi, martinis, etc. Is the cruise line the only one doing this? Airlines. Hotels. Restaurants. Spas. They all do it. If you can remember when you would pull into a gas station and they would clean your windshield and check your oil you know what I'm talking about.

We are trying other cruise lines and spending (in some cases) more money. But if they don't live up to our expectation we will certainly be back on Celebrity. We know what to expect.

My wife and I have just returned from the Dec 9th Equinox sailing, and had a fantastic time!

This was our 49th cruise, many on Celebrity ships. Although some things have changed over the years, we still enjoy the atmosphere and total sincerity of the crew to provide the best vacation ever.

Except for one meal, which was immediately corrected, our experience in the dining room was excellent. Entertainment was some of the best we have seen, accommodations were comfortable, and staff was very friendly.

We understand that opinions vary, but we have also found that responses are usually reciprocal, and if you are respectful, and retain an open mind, the crew that works to provide an excellent experience will not disappoint!

Edited by RCIGUY

We did our first X cruise on Infinity in 2011 and our ninth on Millennium Fall 2015. In our opinion, Celebrity's product has been consistently excellent for dining and service. Entertainment seems to have dipped, but I think part of that is that X had not changed its singers and dancers shows and after four or five times, it doesn't cut it.

Sure, we see the elimination of the end of the cruise brunch, supposedly because food can't be served on a carpet. The beverage packages, which we don't want or need since we are moderate drinkers and elite have changed the bar atmosphere a little.

We don't dine much at the specialty restaurants. However, since we did do Qsine a couple of times and loved it.

Everyone has their own experience and a person can still have negative happenings on an excellent cruise line. By the way, X won more awards for dining, not to long ago.

We also cruise with NCL because of their lower prices and their food quality has improved recently. My main gripe with X is the bundled pricing for most cruises that seriously inflate overall prices.

We booked a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises for 2018 because the pricing was great with no bundling.

I believe someone pointed out some time ago that you or your TA can call X to get the 'non-bundled' pricing.

bon voyage

I believe someone pointed out some time ago that you or your TA can call X to get the 'non-bundled' pricing.

bon voyage

I read that and called X on one occasion and that choice was not offered. This was some months ago.

If that has changed, I would be interested in how much of a reduction in the bundled price is available. I usually book early.

I read that and called X on one occasion and that choice was not offered. This was some months ago.

If that has changed, I would be interested in how much of a reduction in the bundled price is available. I usually book early.

4p - after thinking about it and tracking back to the web site, the base fare includes a $300 per cabin credit. If you choose to have something other than the cabin credit you can choose that under the Go Big offerings. This is for any category other than inside as I have found.

That is, unless one qualifies for a 55+ or state discount, then that pricing would be lower than the Go Big pricing without any additional offerings i.e. beverage package, gratuities etc...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953