Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

I would like some advice please.

We are in Boston 10th October (DH has a conference) and then we are on a cruise, Boston - Montreal, on the opposition line, sorry.

I know SS does a similar itinerary so can someone tell me how cold it is likely to be? When we lived in Ontario way back in 1979/80 I seem to remember we had snow in October (quite the occasion because it was the first time we had seen snow - novelty soon wore off ;p) so do you think we will need heavy coats?

Also, at some stage on CC, I'm sure I read something about rules regarding wearing white pants and Memorial Day. Does this really apply or is it an urban myth? When is Memorial Day? I presume there will be a lot of Americans onboard so I don't want to offend anyone by wearing the wrong thing- down under we wear white pants all year round!

I know, in the scheme of things, this is not that important, but just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Dear Joc, welcome to the Cooler! I've been in and out but know my stool is still there. Memorial Day is the first Monday of September. True that most US Americans do not wear whites unless in the tropics after that date. Since I am a Caribbean American, I will wear whites whenever I please, and so should you, but...October is a cool month and you will probably dress appropriately. You may get snow sprinkles in October in the Boston area. We have gotten real snow in our area and we live south of Albany, New York, so... you may see see snow. Others may chime in, but I don't think you will need a heavy coat, but a wind breaker with layers underneath, a wool peacoat with scarves and gloves, and the like. Hoping others will help here!

We are in Boston 10th October (DH has a conference) and then we are on a cruise, Boston - Montreal, on the opposition line, sorry.

I know SS does a similar itinerary so can someone tell me how cold it is likely to be? When we lived in Ontario way back in 1979/80 I seem to remember we had snow in October (quite the occasion because it was the first time we had seen snow - novelty soon wore off ;p) so do you think we will need heavy coats?

Also, at some stage on CC, I'm sure I read something about rules regarding wearing white pants and Memorial Day. Does this really apply or is it an urban myth? When is Memorial Day? I presume there will be a lot of Americans onboard so I don't want to offend anyone by wearing the wrong thing- down under we wear white pants all year round!

I know, in the scheme of things, this is not that important, but just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Hi,:) when I was a kid there may have been rules (about white) but no longer........if you want to wear white, wear

it:D.....Memorial Day is May 30th..........if you are sailing in October? It is going to be quite cool up north.......

Long pants, and long sleeves would be my suggestion.......bring a sweater/cardigan........I sailed out of Boston

last October........no heavy coat needed. ....hope this helps a little bit:)

Dear Joc, welcome to the Cooler! I've been in and out but know my stool is still there. Memorial Day is the first Monday of September. True that most US Americans do not wear whites unless in the tropics after that date. Since I am a Caribbean American, I will wear whites whenever I please, and so should you, but...October is a cool month and you will probably dress appropriately. You may get snow sprinkles in October in the Boston area. We have gotten real snow in our area and we live south of Albany, New York, so... you may see see snow. Others may chime in, but I don't think you will need a heavy coat, but a wind breaker with layers underneath, a wool peacoat with scarves and gloves, and the like. Hoping others will help here!

Hi, Memorial Day is in May...........Labor Day is in September.

Hi Joc! We live about 2.5 hours west of Montreal. Average temps for October are about 9 C or 48 F during the day and about 4 C or 39 F at night. We don't usually get snow in October. It can happen but it's not the norm. And Canadians will not be offended if you wear white. :) Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks

Hi, Joc,

I live in Boston. We may have warm days in early October, but it is often chilly. You will likely need a heavy sweater or a fleece jacket and a waterproof windbreaker, particularly in the morning and in the evening. You will not need a heavy coat in Boston, but you may need a few more layers or a heavy coat, a hat, and gloves by the time you reach Montreal.

Karen

Joc

I am reminded of the movie serial mom. But that was White shoes after labor day.

Heck it's a cruise, so you wear cruise attire, whatever that is.

I suggest layers as others have mentioned. Pashmina or ruana too.

I was just in Vermont about two weeks ago, it was in the fifties.

Cold!

If you have layers you can peel or add.

:-)

Good Morning Coolers! An overcast and rainy morning here but still hoping for a walk ...

The early morning imbibe was Armagnac as usual .... and I think I'll make this the last batch of pickle as I don't think I can face another shallot for a while ....

7728c7494654d5e4f5da23e9815aa856.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So that's shallot for now then Jeff.......😁Hm

Rainy and dull here today also....having a quiet one.

Spins.....yes we used to have to suffer and get on without aircon way back!!

See SS have changed the 2019 Spirit crossing itinerary......may still do it but also got my eye on Alaska...decisions that l need to sort before September!

Southern chicken tenders for lunch today with beans.....

Happy Day All 😊

Yum. Veal meatballs with ground pepper and a sour cream yogurt sauce for last night's dinner. Over jasmine rice, with a nice Pinot Grigio. Leftovers for lunch today and maybe tomorrow.

Mostly caught up on our sleep from the SF trip. Plugging along at work.

Booked a long weekend in September, in Traverse City, Michigan. Have never been there but it's supposed to be a pretty nice area. Some friends moved to Saginaw, Michigan last year so it's a great excuse to meet up there. Plus, they have vineyards...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Greetings Coolers!

J...There IS a revolving door on the WH! :) Thanks "shallots" for finding it! OK, I know! I can hear the groans from here! Your chicken plate looks amazing! Chestnut stuffing!!!! YUM!

JP...Your dinner last night "speaks" to me! :) I'll bet it was delicious!

Miss S. How is your family doing on their vacation? Are they more comfy now?

Have a great day all!

1cc20c3219bc5be7fe17700e1d586635.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

J...There IS a revolving door on the WH! :) Thanks "shallots" for finding it!

LOL mysty! That was goofy. But funny.

Nice cartoon.

Just requested some guidebooks for our Michigan trip. Have any coolers visited? Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

My kind of dinner that Jeff......

Yes thanks M...kids are much happier now and enjoying the island...😊

Do they still have tours of the White House.....l remember some thirty odd years ago going into Buckingham Palace to sign the visitors book....walked across that front forecourt and in through the Privy Purse door.....not many folk knew about it. 😊

JP,

I have been to Chicago a couple of dozen times but never left the airport ..... I think for some reason our travel department always routed me to Rochester on AA via Chicago.

It is a nice airport. I know nothing of the town. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had had the odd stopover. :)

See SS have changed the 2019 Spirit crossing itinerary......may still do it but also got my eye on Alaska...

That made me check our wind crossing in 2019 from Ft Lauderdale to Tower Bridge and I see that the three ports in Ireland - Dublin, Waterford and Belfast - have been replaced by one stop - Cork.

I'm quite miffed as Belfast, as you may remember, is my home town and I was going to have some relatives visit us on board. Then Dublin was to be a treat for Kim; she's never been there. And Waterford is always worth a visit. However, as we are seriously considering moving to Co. Cork it's quite possible that we might see our new house from the ship! Who knows?

Edited by Tothesunset

That made me check our wind crossing in 2019 from Ft Lauderdale to Tower Bridge and I see that the three ports in Ireland - Dublin, Waterford and Belfast - have been replaced by one stop - Cork.

I'm quite miffed as Belfast, as you may remember, is my home town and I was going to have some relatives visit us on board. Then Dublin was to be a treat for Kim; she's never been there. And Waterford is always worth a visit. However, as we are seriously considering moving to Co. Cork it's quite possible that we might see out new house from the ship! Who knows?

I've noticed that sme of the '18 cruises are missing out on some of the traditional larger ports and including some new smaller ones. I wonder whether port reduction and smaller ports might be partly cost cuttng ?

And I've also just noticed that the cruise length is reduced from 18 to 16 nights. Now I'm definitely not happy. 2/18ths of the cruise I've already paid for won't be happening!

It really isn't acceptable. `i wonder if it is to make way for a short charter? Who knows.

I may have missed it but this behaviour of making significant changes to cruises without proactively informing customers seems to have been a thing for the last year or two. I've also noticed from some of the comments that some changes seem only to be published at 120 days out.

I'm actually wondering if this is enough of a breach of contract to warrant cancellation and full refund. That's not what we want really. Or they could upgrade us to a Silver Suite and leave everything else as is! At the very least I want 2/18ths of the fare refunded pronto and some smal token of compensation for the missed ports such as some OBC or future cruise discount.

Just waiting for a call back and negotiations to start.

The SS website right now is a mess.....l am booked on the Spirit for April 2018.....at the moment no cruises are showing between 14/2 and 6/5.....very unsettling.

Prices are also all over the place!

The original 2019 crossing was into Barcelona...now its Lisbon and whilst the voyage is still on for 16 days my TA tells me this has been reduced by three days.

🙃

I'm actually wondering if this is enough of a breach of contract to warrant cancellation and full refund. That's not what we want really. Or they could upgrade us to a Silver Suite and leave everything else as is! At the very least I want 2/18ths of the fare refunded pronto and some smal token of compensation for the missed ports such as some OBC or future cruise discount.

Just waiting for a call back and negotiations to start.

TTS,

I really can't see that there can be any doubt.

The destination change and cruise length changes are material and significant changes and certainly when combined. You have chosen the cruise because of the ports. It wasn't a mystery tour. They will undoubtedly have a small print clause which reserves them the right to make changes but as you know these clauses are enforceable in the UK. In essence any consumer contract unfairly tilted in the suppliers favour is contrued as unfair and therefore unenforceable. This, in effect means that your cncellation rights are absolute if they propose a change that to a reasonable person is a significant change. For example if you had known when the cruise was announced that it would miss out Belfast and Cork, would you have still booked it. It may be you might have ..... but onoy you know that.

I would however be very clear and restrict your demand in hierarchical and single order. In other words demand a full refund and request no other option. If they refuse and if you are prepared to do so a small claim is an option that I feel would give you odds heavily in your favour and would probably nudge them into a more helpful frame of mind.

In compensatory terms it has to be worth more than 2/18s.