Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

I'm very sure you can stand up to the challenge, Mysty. If you are healthy, take up exercise classes in a gym, zumba, or whatever may be appropriate. Prepare a budget to spend on creams and make up. Buy fashionable clothes if only to go to the supermarket. Think pretty and you will feel pretty and to hell what all others think! Al least this is what I do and my DD has not scolded me yet. An example; where I come from, ladies use dangling earrings even to mop floors; where I live now, hardly anybody wears earrings... you know what, I dangle and dangle and everybody is nice to me. Just be comfortable and pretty in your own skin. Waiting to hear if this helps....

Hi Coolers, I will be 60 in March......feel pretty good:)....even with all the crappy health issues:eek:..........

We had some really sad news around here over the past few days......:(.......a 3 year old boy fell in a water hole

and they found his little body the other day:(..........they are trying to figure out what happened.....looks like the lid

wasn't on secure........it was in a local park......I feel horrible for the family.

Signs You're Getting Old:

• All of your favorite movies are now revised in color.
  • An 'all-nighter' means not getting up to pee!
  • At a garden party you're mainly interested in the garden.
  • At cafeterias, you complain that the gelatin is too tough.
  • The car that you bought brand new becomes an antique.
  • The clothes you've put away until they come back in style...come back in style.
  • Conversations with people your own age often turn into 'dueling ailments.'
  • Frequently you find yourself telling people what a loaf of bread USED to cost.
  • 'Getting a little action' means you don't need to take any fiber today.
  • 'Getting lucky' means you find your car in the parking lot.
  • Going bra-less pulls all the wrinkles out of your face.
  • The gray-haired person you help across the street is your spouse.
  • A group of campers form a circle and start singing 'Kumbaya' when you light the candles on your birthday cake.
  • It takes a couple of tries to get over a speed bump.
  • It takes too much effort to procrastinate.
  • The kids leave one by one, only to return two by two.
  • Lawn care has become a big highlight of your life.
  • Many of your co-workers were born the same year that you got your last promotion.
  • One of the throw pillows on your bed is a hot water bottle.
  • A sexy babe catches your fancy and your pacemaker opens the garage door.
  • Someone compliments you on your layered look...and you're wearing a bikini.
  • A stamp today costs more than a picture show did when you were growing up.
  • They seem to be making adults much younger--when did they decide to let kids become policemen?
  • The waiter asks how you'd like your steak...and you say 'pureed.'
  • When you are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead of by the police.
  • When you do the 'Hokey Pokey' you put your left hip out...and it stays out.
  • Work is a lot less fun and fun is a lot more work.
  • You begin every other sentence with, 'Nowadays...'
  • You can do just as much as ever; but would rather not.
  • You choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy
  • You come to the conclusion that your worst enemy is gravity.
  • You discover the words, 'whippersnapper,' and 'by-cracky' creeping into your vocabulary.
  • You don't care where your spouse goes, just as long as you don't have to go along.
  • You find this list tasteless and insensitive.
  • You have trouble remembering simple words like...
  • You keep repeating yourself.
  • You know it all, you just can't remember it all at once!
  • You look both ways before crossing a room.
  • You know all the answers but nobody asks you any questions.
  • You make it a point to attend all the RV shows that come to town.
  • You realize that aging is not for wimps.
  • You refer to your £2500 stereo system as 'the hi-fi.'
  • You run out of breath walking DOWN a flight of stairs.
  • You smile all the time because you can't hear a thing others are saying.
  • You start beating everyone else at trivia games.
  • You start video-taping daytime game shows.
  • You still have a photographic memory but it no longer offers same day service.
  • You tune into the easy listening station...on purpose.
  • You wonder why you waited so long to take up macramé.
  • You're a walking storeroom of facts...you've just lost the key to the storeroom door.
  • You're awake many hours before your body allows you to get up.
  • You're good at opening childproof caps--with a hammer.
  • You're not grouchy, you just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, loud music, unruly kids, barking dogs, politicians and a few other things you can't remember.
  • You're on a TV game show and you decide to risk it all and go for the rocker.
  • You're sitting on a park bench, and a Boy Scout comes up and helps you cross your legs.
  • You're sure everything you can't find is in a secure place.
  • You're the life of the party...even if it lasts until 8 p.m.
  • You're usually interested in going home before you get where you're going.
  • You're very good at telling stories--over and over and over and over...
  • You're well cared for--long term care, eye care, private care, dental care, Medicare.
  • You're wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just your left leg.
  • You've met so many people that everyone you meet reminds you of someone else.
  • You've seen it all, done it all, heard it all...you just can't remember it all.
  • Your back goes out more than you do.
  • Your childhood toys are now in a museum.
  • Your friends compliment you on your new alligator shoes and you're barefoot.
  • Your insurance company has started sending you their free calendar...a month at a time.
  • Your lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.
  • Your new easy chair has more options than your car.
  • Your sweetie says, "Let's go upstairs and make love," and you answer, "pick one, I can't do both!"

Thank you J! That put many things in perspective! Unfortunately I could also identify with many of those things listed! :) Especially "An 'all-nighter' means not getting up to pee!", "You're not grouchy, you just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, loud music, unruly kids, barking dogs, politicians and a few other things you can't remember.", "You smile all the time because you can't hear a thing others are saying." and "You're wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just your left leg." Soldiering on with a big grin on my face thanks to you!

M,

I went with wifey today to have our flu jabs in Boots and I don't do mixing with the lower classes well. When I say lower classes, i mean it not as a class snob, because I am working class, I mean lower manners. Good grief. And then there were the queue jumpers. And then I had to get wifey to repeat stuff people were saying too me - but a bit louder.

Todays lunch.

454599b7e0ea3fe9a1a367b90d6aba77.jpg

7b8a86b1366850b10dc19ac0314f9426.jpg

........ and today's Times cartoon ......

0c663108316c9dc8507653e183c4f951.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi All.....oh M...age is only a number...if you say it quick!!

Love your take on it though and we will be the same age until two weeks time when l turn 66 so well on the way to the big seven zero now! 😉

J...glad you've had the flu jab...I'm glad l did too...it somehow does make one feel a little bit more easy about collecting germs.....how come you went to Boots....surgery does them free.

It's a beautiful day here, warm and sunny which is just as well as my builders are in widening my driveway...the mess will be worth it to allow me easier access to the garage. Other builders are standing by to gut the annex so l can start re-designing that in the new year....I'm very lucky to have a good team in place!

Battered plaice today...my favourite fish...triple cooked chips and peas to accompany.

Happy Day 😊

Thank god for your list Jeff. Spent the morning at the hospital having injections in my feet for arthritis. It gave me the laugh I needed. I think it was Bette Davis who said old age isn’t for wimps. So right. Still it’s better than the alternative!!

Loved the posts and Jeff's cartoon (which is also sad!). Regarding your ages...You are all younger than me and I don't feel old! Some days I am amazed that I am this age. To me, age is a state of mind and my mind has not atrophied yet...so as long as I feel like this, I'll venture out, smell the roses and have a hell of a good time.....On that not, have a great day my Cooler friends!...Penny

Good morning Coolers!

Thanks Jeff for the "getting old" list. It really pepped up my morning as I chuckled through it. You hit a nail with me in some ways, and I'll share that I DO call our state of the art sound system a "hi-fi"... and get a grin back from DH.

Good Morning Coolers,

I'm so pleased the list offered some amusement. I think it is a list that keeps on giving. This morning for example my barber came for my eight-weekly shear and general tidy up and we actually spent our time chatting about hearing loss, as he is younger than me but had a hearing aid for a few years. I don't need one yet but I think I will need to in a few years. It transpires that when he had all his tests they asked him whether he listened to loud music when he was younger and he admitted that he use to go to Quo concerts and stand at the front which means I have no hope at all. Still today's food was tandoori chicken with salad, pitta and pils.

2d0bfd6c72265f3acb19a8493a9ae859.jpg

0583bf12d4903bfaaf2b2fce3a2a98e0.jpg

9e90d9e767785be18b7d214613020bd8.jpg

810f188f2c78485fafcc642c419342f2.jpg

Greetings Coolers! Cool weather has arrived!

Here are some pics of our gardens and the fallen leaves. Really not looking forward to the rake and bag aspect of this.

DSC05170b.jpg

DSC05169b.jpg

DSC05172b.jpg

J...Your meal looks so very, very tasty!

Enjoy your evening all!

Mysty, your garden looks lovely. I am so glad that two years ago we moved into a house that is participant of a condo-homeowners agreement. The company takes care of our lawn in all seasons, and we get snow plowing of driveways as well. I wish I had had this confort when I was still working! And, I have to say, the fee is very reasonable, much more so than what we used pay for unreliable contractors in our former home. However, I'm sure you keep a lovelier garden...

Hello coolers!

Jeff, thanks for inviting me over here. I've lurked in the past, but I feel a bit shy popping in on your conversation here. You certainly are all very pleasant though and I enjoy all the food pictures.

Mysty, are some of those leaves in your garden actually white? At first I thought you had a touch of snow. We are just now starting to cool down. We moved to Atlanta from New York in the summer of 2002 and couldn't believe how hot it stayed right to the end of October here.

I'm enjoying all the positivity regarding aging. I stopped dying my hair years ago when I was talking to an older woman with beautiful long snow white hair. It suddenly hit me that aging is something to be proud of. So many don't make it as far as I have. Of course, the real challenge is to age with grace. I figure if I start practicing early, I can grow into a sweet natured old lady with with white hair and twinkling blue eyes.

Welcome to the Cooler Bar Napria! You now have your own bar stool! :) And we are are all mostly very pleasant! And even when there is a difference of opinion we are respectful with our disagreement. No nasty snipping is accepted here. The Cooler Bar bouncer is very attentive! :) I also lurked for a while before I dipped my toes into the Water Cooler. I was warmly welcomed and the rest is history.

The back side of some of the leaves is a very pale yellow almost ecru. And I think with your attitude you are well on your way to the grace part of "aging with grace".

Hi Napria, and may I echo M's wise words of welcome ...... but may I remind you that age has harmed your recall because I think you have already popped in once before ....no? So all of us had your bar stool waiting for you to return ....... you didn't write ... you didn't call ...... we thought we may have done something wrong ;)

Seriously a great big welcome to the Cooler. For what it's worth it has been going for a while and as improbable as it may sound many of us have formed genuine freindships here, and it does prove that you can have proper freindships with people you will possibly never meet ..... although some do and have. Our aim is to have virtual events to celebrate birthdays or bad news days to cheer us up. So please do join in and think up excuses to post.

Haha, I think you're right, Jeff. I probably have posted here before. It's my advanced age and the craziness of my life that I blame equally on my memory loss.

Mysty, thank you for saving that bar stool for me ;). Perhaps I'll have a glass of wine while I relax and chime in now and then.

Right now in real life, I need to get ready for work. It's Friday and as usual the week has flown by! My weekend is packed with activities too. Why does life go faster the older you get?

Happy Friday all!

Good Morning Coolers!

Such a beautiful day here today...quite perks one up.

A warm welcome to Napria...the wine flows freely here 🥂 and l intend to grow old very disgracefully 😉

M....same problem with the fallen leaves here but thankfully my gardener hoovers them all up while l supervise!

It's been such a busy week as my drive undergoes the makeover....am looking forward to getting my car into the garage for the first time since l moved in.

Furry baby's lady friend joins us later for the weekend which will be great fun...kids and friends off away for a break so I'm pooch nanny 😊